FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A visit to FRA, VIE, ZRH and CDG back in Spring 09 (mostly pics)
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:08 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Salut Paris

Paris - just hearing the name fills my heart with excitement and anticipation. We all have a favorite place in the world, whether it is as close as home or someplace far away at the other side of the world. For me, Paris is it.

My infatuation started at an early age when I was a kid learning French in 7th grade private school back in Costa Rica. I often tried to imagine what it would be like to be there, walking through the historic places and sampling the food. Later on, I was fortunate enough to indulge in those early yearnings and do much more. I have been lucky to experience different aspects of this wonderful city ranging from stays at top deluxe properties in exclusive districts to 1 start properties tucked away in local neighborhoods away from the tourists. Each one of these visits has been rewarding and allowed me to see an unique side of this multifaceted city.

One of my fondest memories was when I stayed in a little known hotel in the Left bank by rue Alesia. I used to wake up by dawn and walk around the area transfixed by the locals in their morning rituals. I really cherish this time of the day because it lets me get acquainted with a new place away from the people and noise, allowing for a more intimate discovery. There is something magical about being in synch with a city "waking up" with its people - the aroma of fresh bread wafting from a nearby bakery, the cleaner sweeping the streets, children getting ready for school, merchants setting up their wares at the local markets. When I savor moments like these then I can say that I am living every minute of my life fully.

Hotel Le Grand Intercontinental

Undoubtedly the Le Grand Paris is one of the brightest stars of the Intercontinental collection. Its splendid architecture with every minute detail is a visual delight that never ceases to amaze. Rooms are sumptously decorated in Empire style reflecting the opulent and historic heritage of this landmark property. Once I arrived at the hotel the check-in was done quickly and professionally. I was upgraded to what appears to have been a junior suite. The welcome gift consisting of cookies and Fauchon chocolates were placed on a table already.

Lobby

Check-In Desk

Stairs

Room

Separate toilet

Bathroom

Welcome gift

Last edited by aw; Jun 7, 2010 at 9:32 am