Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

LAX-JFK UA P.S. Flight, C (Some Photos Included)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist

United Flight Number 890 2/1
LAX-JFK
11:49am Departure
P.S. Service, 757-200
Business Class, Seats 9 C/D

SNA is my home airport, so I don't make P.S. flights as often as I would like. Alternatively, I generally opt for the SNA-ORD-LGA option, perhaps for the convenience of SNA & LGA.

As many are aware, United's P.S. service is perhaps the best domestic product that United offers. Unfortunately however there have been serveral reports as of late that United has downgraded many of the on-board products and services as a result of cutbacks etc. Some have also reported that the overall cabin appearance has suffered as a result of a lack of upkeep.

Maybe I was lucky but the P.S. 757 used on my flight had recently been outfitted with new leather seating surfaces in C (hopefully a sign that the entire P.S. fleet will get the same treatment!) The cabin appeared to be in wonderful working order and well maintained!

Upon boarding, passengers were in awe over what looked like a hanging chandalier in front of row 9. The Business Class F/A has setup a hanging lit chandalier in front of 9 C/D over the service cart. The cart was outfitted with sparking wine (Cava I believe) along with orange juice and water. The chandalier was indeed a very nice touch, and much appreciated by all the passengers. This F/A really look pride in the cabin's appearance, and his attention to detail throughout the flight was impressive to say the least! (apparently he's famous for sprucing up the cabin!)

There is some debate about the most preferred seating aboard United's P.S. aircraft, however I still think that Row 9 is king. In fact (as I know some will agree) I think that United's Business Class product is more comfortable than First on the P.S. service. Row 9 provides endless room to stretch out & relax.

Service throughout the flight was prompt & corteous. While on the ground, menus were distributed. The F/A asked that we write down our first, second and third choice on the menu itself, a very efficient approach! I thought this approach was not only more efficient, but also more polite than the sometimes common "bounce from passenger to passenger approach based on status & fare" that some F/A's still do (even though they're not supposed to!) F/A's also distributed earplugs & eye masks.

Here's a sample of the lunch menu:

Featured Cocktail:

Absolut Mandarin Punch

to Begin:

Asparagus, Shaved Parmesean & Apricot Couscous Salad
Fresh Seasonal Greens (w/ Cesar or Asian Sesame Dressing)

Main Courses:

Barbeque Chicken Breast with Brown Sugar Hickory Sauce
Salmon Cakes w/ Peppercorn Horseradish Remoulade
Hearty Vegetable Chili in a Sourdough Bread Bowl

Dessert:

Strawberry and Grand Vanilla Ice Cream Sundaes

Upon Arrival:

Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies

Starter & Salad Pictured:

Ice Cream Sundae Pictured:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/pssundae.jpg

The menu selection was fantastic, especially for domestic service. In fact, I would go so far to say that the food was better than my recent ORD-FRA C flight. P.S. offers an ice cream sundae service with warm toppings & whipped cream, something that isn't even offered on most Int'l C flights. The starter asparagus dish was wonderful! Our main courses were both very well prepared (we had the Salmon Cakes & Chicken) and perfect consistency, not too dry as you might often find in the air. There were only two featured wines (beyond the pre-departure Cava Sparkling Wine) The White Wine selection was a "Yali Chardonnay, 2007 Maipo Valley" and the Red Wine was a "Redtree Cabarnet Sauvignon 2008 CA" offering. I did have the Chardonnay (only because it was from Chile, I really don't care for CA Chardonnays) and it was average, so I drank the rest of the Cava offered, as well as a Mandarin Punch. The Mandarin Punch cocktail is both fun & refreshing, and a nice touch!

Media players were distributed individually to those who were interested. I think the media players are a great improvement over the old disk based systems, and offer a wide array of movies, tv shows & music!

Shortly prior to arrival, we were offered Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies & Ice Cream once again (unfortunately I had to decline the ice cream as I was too full! Any other time I would accept!)

This was truly a memorable P.S. flight, and I would applaud UA for a job well done! Contrary to what people are saying about a "decline" in services aboard P.S., I would have to strongly disagree! Yes, they may have cut some small items such as a more lenghty list of wines etc., but they have maintained (and improved) the quality of the menu selections. The crew was overwhelmingly warm & attentive, and rivaled that of most of my recent Int'l flights! I'll be taking P.S. more often!

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...ler/pswing.jpg
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Great P.S. report thanks. Love the chandalier! ^
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I haven't done a *true* P.S. flight since the introduction of the flights. I did fly in F on a 3-class 767 JFK-LAX a few years ago... that was definitely the very best domestic service I ever received. Better than UA international C, that's for sure!

---

Thanks for the report. That chandelier looks ridiculous somehow, yet fun. Pure camp! ^ ^
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
Nice TR. Nice pics. Gotta love the chandelier. And the couscous actually looks good. Flying out of TUS/PHX hasn't netted any PS flights.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by globetraveler
SNA is my home airport, so I don't make P.S. flights as often as I would like. Alternatively, I generally opt for the SNA-ORD-LGA option, perhaps for the convenience of SNA & LGA.
Funny, we're in the same boat, opposite direction: We fly into SNA but live a stone's throw from LGA. That said, we almost always trek to JFK in order to enjoy the p.s. flights. Not only much nicer, but this helps avoid ORD/DEN, which almost always cause problems.

As many are aware, United's P.S. service is perhaps the best domestic product that United offers. Unfortunately however there have been serveral reports as of late that United has downgraded many of the on-board products and services as a result of cutbacks etc.
With the exception of the new noise-cancelling headphones, things have gotten a lot worse. It's a bit improved from the "new low" of removing appetizers from C, but really, the food, wine and service in general are not as good as they used to be.

Some have also reported that the overall cabin appearance has suffered as a result of a lack of upkeep.
This I haven't noticed, but I have experienced a streak of bum footrests lately...

Maybe I was lucky but the P.S. 757 used on my flight had recently been outfitted with new leather seating surfaces in C (hopefully a sign that the entire P.S. fleet will get the same treatment!) The cabin appeared to be in wonderful working order and well maintained!
^

Upon boarding, passengers were in awe over what looked like a hanging chandalier in front of row 9. The Business Class F/A has setup a hanging lit chandalier in front of 9 C/D over the service cart. The cart was outfitted with sparking wine (Cava I believe) along with orange juice and water. The chandalier was indeed a very nice touch, and much appreciated by all the passengers. This F/A really look pride in the cabin's appearance, and his attention to detail throughout the flight was impressive to say the least! (apparently he's famous for sprucing up the cabin!)
Good FAs who care make all the difference! ^

There is some debate about the most preferred seating aboard United's P.S. aircraft, however I still think that Row 9 is king. In fact (as I know some will agree) I think that United's Business Class product is more comfortable than First on the P.S. service. Row 9 provides endless room to stretch out & relax.
We slightly prefer 6CD on non-redeyes: no-one reclining into you, enough legroom for 6D to get out without 6C having to move, and you get served first

Service throughout the flight was prompt & corteous. While on the ground, menus were distributed. The F/A asked that we write down our first, second and third choice on the menu itself, a very efficient approach! I thought this approach was not only more efficient, but also more polite than the sometimes common "bounce from passenger to passenger approach based on status & fare" that some F/A's still do (even though they're not supposed to!) F/A's also distributed earplugs & eye masks.
Huh. I think it's unclassy for the FA to ask pax to write down their menu choices. Is it just me?

Here's a sample of the lunch menu:

Featured Cocktail:

Absolut Mandarin Punch

to Begin:

Asparagus, Shaved Parmesean & Apricot Couscous Salad
Fresh Seasonal Greens (w/ Cesar or Asian Sesame Dressing)

Main Courses:

Barbeque Chicken Breast with Brown Sugar Hickory Sauce
Salmon Cakes w/ Peppercorn Horseradish Remoulade
Hearty Vegetable Chili in a Sourdough Bread Bowl

Dessert:

Strawberry and Grand Vanilla Ice Cream Sundaes

Upon Arrival:

Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies
The menu's okay, but I have to say, it's been around for a long time. They need to mix it up already.

There were only two featured wines (beyond the pre-departure Cava Sparkling Wine) The White Wine selection was a "Yali Chardonnay, 2007 Maipo Valley" and the Red Wine was a "Redtree Cabarnet Sauvignon 2008 CA" offering. I did have the Chardonnay (only because it was from Chile, I really don't care for CA Chardonnays) and it was average, so I drank the rest of the Cava offered, as well as a Mandarin Punch. The Mandarin Punch cocktail is both fun & refreshing, and a nice touch!
They used to have two reds and two whites...

Media players were distributed individually to those who were interested. I think the media players are a great improvement over the old disk based systems, and offer a wide array of movies, tv shows & music!
Indeed, an improvement over the DVD players. ^

Shortly prior to arrival, we were offered Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies & Ice Cream once again (unfortunately I had to decline the ice cream as I was too full! Any other time I would accept!)
Mmmmmm! Cooooookies!!!

This was truly a memorable P.S. flight, and I would applaud UA for a job well done! Contrary to what people are saying about a "decline" in services aboard P.S., I would have to strongly disagree! Yes, they may have cut some small items such as a more lenghty list of wines etc., but they have maintained (and improved) the quality of the menu selections. The crew was overwhelmingly warm & attentive, and rivaled that of most of my recent Int'l flights! I'll be taking P.S. more often!
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your flight. It helps that you didn't experience the better days. Come to think of it, I didn't experience the really good days of pre-"p.s." widebody transcon service.

P.S. (No pun intended!) Did you take advantage of the new RCC-access policy? Pax in C get to use RCCs (including at SNA, your departure airport, if you're connecting at SFO). Very nice touch ^
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:34 pm

Great report!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by as219

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your flight. It helps that you didn't experience the better days. Come to think of it, I didn't experience the really good days of pre-"p.s." widebody transcon service.

P.S. (No pun intended!) Did you take advantage of the new RCC-access policy? Pax in C get to use RCCs (including at SNA, your departure airport, if you're connecting at SFO). Very nice touch ^
Thanks for the comments as219! That's funny that we're in the reverse situation. I think I'm going to start doing SNA-SFO-JFK per your suggestion, and it's nice to know that I can use the RCC lounge out of SNA as well. I did use the RCC Lounge at LAX. As a 1K are we allowed to use the lounge when flying in Y too?

I have flown P.S. a few times over the years, and it was nice when they offered a more lenghty wine selection. And if they're going to only offer one, it should at least be good! (Bring back the French Chablis please! ^)
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:06 pm

Thanks for the comments as219! That's funny that we're in the reverse situation. I think I'm going to start doing SNA-SFO-JFK per your suggestion, and it's nice to know that I can use the RCC lounge out of SNA as well.
Back in the good ol' days, before they killed SNA-LAX, you had a choice of connecting points for p.s. flights to NYC. That was nice, because delays into SFO would still leave you with the LAX option. These days you have to hope SFO runs smoothly.

Personally I like the RCC at SNA. The people there have been particularly nice, and they know the rules about p.s. pax having access. ^

I did use the RCC Lounge at LAX. As a 1K are we allowed to use the lounge when flying in Y too?
Not sure. There was talk at one point that 1Ks in Y would get access, but I seem to recall this didn't pan out.

More to the point, why would you ever fly p.s. in Y?!?

I have flown P.S. a few times over the years, and it was nice when they offered a more lenghty wine selection. And if they're going to only offer one, it should at least be good! (Bring back the French Chablis please! ^)
Yeah, it was. At least they now have better wines in the RCCs so we can have a glass of something decent before flying...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by as219
Back in the good ol' days, before they killed SNA-LAX, you had a choice of connecting points for p.s. flights to NYC. That was nice, because delays into SFO would still leave you with the LAX option. These days you have to hope SFO runs smoothly.

Personally I like the RCC at SNA. The people there have been particularly nice, and they know the rules about p.s. pax having access. ^

Not sure. There was talk at one point that 1Ks in Y would get access, but I seem to recall this didn't pan out.

More to the point, why would you ever fly p.s. in Y?!?

Yeah, it was. At least they now have better wines in the RCCs so we can have a glass of something decent before flying...
Good point on the RCC offerings; had a morning glass of Tattinger at the LAX RCC! P.S. are the RCC agents supposed to give you drink chits for P.S. flights? (I assume no, just for Int'l flights...?)
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:02 am

Good point on the RCC offerings; had a morning glass of Tattinger at the LAX RCC! P.S. are the RCC agents supposed to give you drink chits for P.S. flights? (I assume no, just for Int'l flights...?)
I haven't seen an updated RCC/ADMIT profile, but I believe they're supposed to give you two. Once at SFO I asked and was given chits right away; another time I was told no but that a "one time exception" would be made -- they gave me only one chit.

As with all things UA, YMMV.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Great trip report! Thanks for sharing
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Thanks for taking the time to post your report.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:37 am

Good report, thanks!! ^
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by sobore
Great P.S. report thanks. Love the chandalier! ^
Haha yep, classic!

Nice report there globetraveler.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Wow, never seen that hung in any plane before. Was it up the whole time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.