Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

c2it warning - they are on to us

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2001, 7:26 am
Original Poster

got this email -- they closed all 3 of my accounts.

we advised you against using your c2it
membership in a manner that we deemed excessive. Your transaction
activity indicates that you are still using the service outside of its
intended purpose. As a result, we are terminating your membership.
This closure is effective immediately.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 9:05 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What did you do?
Old Jul 10, 2001, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I sent money to my husband...did the max every day with three accounts for about 3 months.
They said this was "excessive use."
Oh well - got about 60,000 miles out of it.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I hope you get to keep the miles.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:22 am

What part of this transaction earned you miles?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rtg99:
I sent money to my husband...did the max every day with three accounts for about 3 months.
They said this was "excessive use."
Oh well - got about 60,000 miles out of it.
</font>
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:22 am
doc

Wow! 60K ! No reason to complain!

Yet it's not right, IMHO, from what you say, just as long as you did not violate the clearly written rules!
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:26 am
Original Poster

I earned the miles by sending money with a mileage earning credit card. In fact I already used most of the miles already!

Someone mentioned moneyzap. How do you get around the fees? (2.8%) It doesn't seem worth it to me...
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:33 am

I would agree that their behaviour is inexplicable. The site prevents you from sending or retrieving more cash than their terms permit, or more frequently. So how can your activity be "excessive?"

Of course, they've given themselves a clever (perhaps) but customer-unfriendly (definitely) legal out, so there isn't much you can do.

As an aside, they have questioned my activity a couple of times, but have yet to pull the plug. I have cut back my transfers to approximatley half of their permitted allowance; we shall see how much longer it lasts.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:42 am
doc

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000737.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000790.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000852.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000874.html

----

Also note that I also received a notice that any of this type of activity (person to peson money transfer) would soon/now be considered a "cash advance" from First USA so the party is seemingly ending!
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:46 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rtg99:
I earned the miles by sending money with a mileage earning credit card. In fact I already used most of the miles already!

Someone mentioned moneyzap. How do you get around the fees? (2.8%) It doesn't seem worth it to me...
</font>
Good going, rtg99, I've done the same thing with accounts for my wife and I. They have previously only verified that the activity was initiated by me, but just last week also told me that my usage was excessive. When I asked what excessive was, they told me that was proprietary information and they couldn't divulge an answer. My theory was that if they institute limits (which they do), then as long as you don't exceed the limits that should be ok. Apparently that is not how they view it.

Moneyzap was decent while it lasted (you could use Amex also, but the transaction limits were much less than c2it), but the fees are relatively new and, IMHO, have rendered that site obsolete for acquiring miles. Yahoo paydirect is still around, but they also have low transaction limits ($1,000 per month).

Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
What about PayPal? As far as I know, they don't charge a transaction fee and everything is treated as a purchase.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:31 pm
doc

Yes, depending on the card you use, and only up to $100 per month on Paypal! Not too many miles!
Old Jul 10, 2001, 7:32 pm

I've been expecting the same. I transferred between 4 AA Citibank cards and accounts for the entire 3 month free period. I even got an email from C2it thanking me for using their service! Perhaps we got off because we are longstanding Citibank customers? Whatever the reason, I was able to rake in a ton of miles.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 10:30 am

Am I correct in assuming there is still no fee to use c2it? I just signed up and they said new terms will take effect on Jul-29, and those terms seem to include a fee for all transfers, but I couldn't find any mention of a fee until Jul-29 (ie-in the existing terms).

Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 10:45 am
doc

I believe there are now fees, and that they will soon go higher!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000790.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.