Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Indian Airlines or Royal Nepal Airlines!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 1999, 9:25 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I have a choice between Indian Airlines and Royal Nepal Airlines. Does anyone know which one I should fly? I flown Indian Airlines before and they're not all that bad - but does anyone have any experience with Royal Nepal Airlines? From the ff miles point of view, Indian Airlines apparently allows you to earn miles in the Air France ff program - but I can't even find a web site for Royal Nepal Airlines! Thanks for your help ...
Old Mar 9, 1999, 9:35 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
I really doubt that the Indian Airlines points will credit into Air France. Anyways I would pick Royal Nepal as Indian Airlines has screwed me too many dam(n)ed times. Never flown on Royal Nepal, though.

[This message has been edited by megamiles (edited 03-09-99).]
Old Mar 9, 1999, 10:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: One World
Both Air India as well as Indian Airlines are partners in Air France Frequence Plus program.
Old Mar 10, 1999, 12:38 am
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
I know IA is a partner of AF - but has anyone here actually successfully got credit for an IA flight ???
Old Mar 10, 1999, 6:01 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Took two flights on Royal Nepal, a little over two years ago. One was a jet (think it was a 737) from DEL to KAT, and the other was a two engine prop from KAT to Pokhara. Both very uneventful. Pilots on the turpoprop were a hoot though. They dressed like they were making a US Navy "Top Gun" movie ad.

Also took three Indian Airlines and agree they weren't too bad. All ran on a very strict on-time schedule.
Old Mar 10, 1999, 6:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Safety is not exactly Indian Airlines first name (for a small airline, their incident rate is comparatively large--not the worst of the worst but definitely at that end and a failing grade; Royal Nepal had no accident reports for 1990s and two fatality crashes in 1980s--no incident rate/# flights given though). You still have more likelihood of being killed in a car accident though.

The following Indian Airlines events are those involving at least one passenger death where the aircraft flight had a direct or indirect role. Excluded would be events where the only passengers killed were stowaways, hijackers, or saboteurs.

29 August 1970; Indian Airlines F27; near Silchar, India: The aircraft crashed into high ground shortly after takeoff. All five crew members and 34 passengers were killed.

9 December 1971; Indian Airlines HS748; near Chinnamanur, India: The aircraft was on descent into Madurai when it crashed into high ground about 50 miles (80 km) from the airport. The event occurred in daylight and reduced visibility. All four crew members and 17 passengers were killed.

11 August 1972; Indian Airlines F27; New Delhi, India: The aircraft lost altitude and crashed after abandoning a landing attempt. All four crew members and 14 passengers were killed.

31 May 1973; Indian Airlines 737-200; near New Dehli, India: The aircraft crashed and caught fire during landing. The crash killed five of the seven crew members and 43 of the 58 passengers.

12 October 1976; Indian Airlines Caravelle; Bombay, India: The right engine caught fire shortly after takeoff and the crew elected to return. Fuel flow to the engine was not stopped and the fire spread through the fuselage and led to hydraulic system failure and a loss of aircraft control shortly before landing. All six crew members and 89 passengers were killed.

4 August 1979; Indian Airlines HS748; near Bombay, India: The aircraft was approaching the airport at night and in poor weather when it collided with high ground about six miles (10 km) from the airport All four crew members and 41 passengers were killed.

10 May 1980; Indian Airlines 737-200; near Rampur Hat, India: The aircraft experienced severe en route turbulence. Two of the 132 passengers were killed.

19 October 1988; Indian Airlines 737-200; Ahmedabad, India: The aircraft hit an electric mast five miles (eight km)out on approach in poor visibility. All six crew members and 124 of 129 passengers were killed.

14 February 1990; Indian Airlines A320; Bangalore, India: Controlled flight into terrain during approach. Aircraft hit about 400 meters short of the runway. Four of the seven crew members and 88 of the 139 passengers were killed.

16 August 1991; Indian Airlines 737-200; near Imphal, India: The aircraft hit high ground during descent about 30 km from the airport. All six crew members and 63 passengers were killed.

26 April 1993; Indian Airlines 737-200; Aurangabad, India: The flight crew initiated their liftoff late and the aircraft struck a large vehicle on a road just outside the airport. The vehicle strike damaged one engine and the aircraft later hit power lines and crashed. Four of the six crew members and 52 of the 112 passengers were killed. The administrators of the airport were also cited for failing to regulate traffic on that same road.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 03-10-99).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.