Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, M&M Senator, MR Gold, HH Gold
Hotel Review - Stavanger Atlantic, Norway

Radisson Blu Atlantic Hotel, Stavanger

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Olav V's Gate 3 Stavanger, NO 4002

Hotel Review - Stavanger Atlantic, Norway (0 Photo)

Stayed at this hotel for a business trip for several weeks.

Check In

Lobby and public places: 5/10. Lobby has been renovated and is nice looking with the FT freely available. Yet the corridors in the levels seriously needs some work. Worst is probably on the fifth floor, with big traces of moisture and mold.

9/10. Right in the city centre with convenient access to the bus station and the rare restaurants of the city. Compared to the Radisson Royal, no hill to clim. Pleasant view if you are on the good side of the building (three times out of four).

Room

Room: 2/10. Never had that bad a room in a Radisson, Marriott or Hilton. Numerous spots on the carpet everywhere in the room, spoiled walls, with even old adhesive dressings stuck to the wall close to the air conditionner. Worn out furniture, old looking TV and unsafe remains of previous installations (curtains?).

Bathroom: 4/10. Towells are ok, Radisson bath supplies are quite good actually. However, very old equipement definitely needing some refurbishment: bathtub with strange big unidentified black spot, door with some color spots on several places, unstable toilets. Suspicious yellow-green water in every room when you try to have a bath)

As no iron in the room (requested but denied by reception..), you have to use a cupboard used as an ironing room. Iron locked to the wall to ensure you don't steal it, with the remaining of some meals staying here for a few days (didn't count, at least three).

Dining

Food: 6/10. Overpriced as always in the Nordic countries but slightly less than I could expect. Room service is ok for a Radisson, and free breakfast is better than average. However very limited choice for the different restaurants and room service.

Service

Service: 7/10. Globally welcoming service, with however some of the staff looking totally unconcerned. Very variable attentions to the customer too.

Overall

Global note: 4/10, which is probably a generous evaluation. Cause the main advantage of this hotel has not been mentionned before, it is one of the only two hotels available for business travel. Even if you don't like it, you have no choice, and the rest of the main hotels are also Carlson's (Radisson Royal, Park Inn). Disastrous illustration of why a monopoly is always bad for the customer.

Hotel Review - Stavanger Atlantic, Norway

Would you like to write a review on the Radisson Blu Atlantic Hotel, Stavanger?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by Bagehot; Nov 9, 2010 at 6:03 am
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:25 am

I agree with you.

Stayed there several times... Room quality is very variable and you have definitely been unlucky... I wish they would refurbish indeed. And as you said this is more like a 2 star hotel for 200 Euros a night, just because of the quasi-monopoly situation.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I have also stayed here a few times. I like the recognition for GP Gold members, with the fruit basket. I also once got a room in the furhtest away corner on a high floor, and that room somehow seemed refurbished and was quite nice compared to some of the others.

But yes, in general this hotel is not worth the money. Has anyone tried the other Radisson? Is it better?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC*E, CC*G
Am staying at the Radisson Royal now. Very similar to the Radisson Royal in Brussels, same feel with the inner courtyard. And like Brussels, the hotel has an "antique chic" look. It was probably very nice 20 years ago but now the decoration seems old. Still, everything seems clean and well maintained.

I was given a room away from the inner courtyard and thankfully so. There seems to be a party in the restaurant and I can hear the wedding singer all the way into my room. Good grief.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:03 am

So what was the conclusion? Atlantic or Royal? I have an upcoming 2-nighter in Stavanger, and the prices are identical for the two properties. So would you take Atlantic or Royal?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
Originally Posted by niksal
So what was the conclusion? Atlantic or Royal? I have an upcoming 2-nighter in Stavanger, and the prices are identical for the two properties. So would you take Atlantic or Royal?
Royal is much nicer, and the hill is not that bad. But Stavanger is very over priced, all hotels are fully booked almost all weekdays...

You could also try Clarion between the two radissons.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by Chriscross
You could also try Clarion between the two radissons.
I can recommend this hotel, it's nicer than both Radissons, has been recently refurbished and has a great breakfast.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:14 am

Well, I just checked in at the Royal. The first impression is quite neutral. There's nothing wrong with it, but really nothing special either. The hotel feels somehow deserted, and the fact that the restaurant is closed doesn't make things better.

My recent stays in Radisson Blus in Scandinavia have made me used to some kind of special treatment as a Gold member, but here I have so far received nothing. Ok, I got a quiet corner room, maybe that was it. But I have gotten used to things like some fruit and water, laundry coupons etc. Here, nothing.

Maybe the room is slightly nicer, but I think I will go for Atlantic the next time. Maybe the breakfast tomorrow changes my mind?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:53 pm

Hotel Review - Stavanger Atlantic

I thought I'd revive this thread as I've been travelling to SVG for a few months now and staying in Radisson Atlantic; it has not changed since your review in 2010...the worst rooms are still on the 5th and the corridors need refurbishment...the lobby is fine but it's only a lobby...

I was lucky to get a week in a business class room on the 13th over looking the lake I must say I have the impression that the business class rooms are nice and they appear much fresher than the rest of the rooms with plenty of desk space for work and better lighting...though the bathrooms could do with redecoration...

I'm on the 10 floor, this week, in one of the better standard rooms however they are so dark...and feel old with a tiny desk. For the cost I don't think it's too much to ask for a carpet that may be renewed this side of the century and a duvet that fits the bed! Argh...

Don't get me started on 5th floor rooms...which are smaller than the space in a Mini!

Oh and they've changed the shampoos and soaps! I wouldn't mind but I appear to be allergic to this new brand! Eek...

FYI there isn't an onsite gym however there is a huge private fitness centre between the Royal and Atlantic, you have to pay 100NOK a day to use it.

I believe that the Royal is building a gym, at the moment there is a swimming pool which is rather refreshing
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:42 am

The Atlantic is awful really, considering the weekday rates they have. It is now decades beyong renovation needs in many of the rooms, epecially standard rooms. This used to be a hotel of hotels in this town, but this is what you get when you neglect renovation over time.

You do get fruit, water and an upgrade usually as Gold, but I much prefer the Rica Park hotel in the round a bout, they have very nice and large rooms for much less usually. Oh and fresh free waffles when you get back from your meetings.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Upgraded as a gold to a business class room and received free breakfast on a mixed cash (first night) and an award night (second night) reservation - free breakfast was very nice and a great deal in an expensive city/country. The business class rooms seemed to be in an addition to the hotel or a separate part of the hotel - look a bit odd. Airport bus arrives/leaves from the front door. Decent front desk support except at check out when there was a line and the one agent decided to take a phone call in the middle of helping a different customer. No please hold or whatever, the agent simply stopped helping the first person in line and had a chat with the person calling the hotel (a relatively long chat for a hotel front desk agent). Nice location for walking around the city and close to the pier for the ferry to the bus to the trail head for the Preikestolen hike.

Cheers -
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Upgraded as a gold to a business class room and received free breakfast on a mixed cash (first night) and an award night (second night) reservation - free breakfast was very nice and a great deal in an expensive city/country. The business class rooms seemed to be in an addition to the hotel or a separate part of the hotel - look a bit odd. Airport bus arrives/leaves from the front door. Decent front desk support except at check out when there was a line and the one agent decided to take a phone call in the middle of helping a different customer. No please hold or whatever, the agent simply stopped helping the first person in line and had a chat with the person calling the hotel (a relatively long chat for a hotel front desk agent). Nice location for walking around the city and close to the pier for the ferry to the bus to the trail head for the Preikestolen hike.

Cheers -
Most chain hotels in Norway in this price range include breakfast for all hotel guests. Radisson is the primary exception in this regard.

The Radisson hotels in (at least western) Norway have provided me with some of the most awful Radisson rooms I've ever seen in Europe this decade. If we're lucky, perhaps the Norwegian economic slowdown will get some of these Norwegian Radisson hotels to finally improve their game in this regard.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:41 am
KRS

The hotel will be closing in September (2016) for renovations:
(...)
The transformation of the 364-rooms Radisson Blu Atlantic Hotel will take place between September 2016 and Q4 2017 and comprise all guest rooms, public areas, restaurant & bars, meeting & event spaces as well as mechanical, engineering and plumbing works. The large-scale refurbishment is a joint project of Rezidor and KLP, the hotel’s owner that contributes with a significant amount exceeding the Rezidor investment to the upgrade. Backe Rogaland has been appointed as contractor, and Stavanger based Link Arkitektur AS is the architect and interior designer for the project.

As from 5th September 2016 and for the entire renovation period, the Radisson Blu Atlantic Hotel will be closed. As from September 2017, all employees will be entitled to return to their jobs: “Given the current market situation in Stavanger, it is crucial that we do our best to offer the best possible opportunity to the team. We are glad that we, in close collaboration with the local employee representatives, have found a solution that enables us to avoid terminations and to keep our skilled and dedicated staff within the company”, commented Brian Gleeson, Cluster General Manager.

During the renovation, guests can enjoy a Radisson Blu experience at the newly renovated Radisson Blu Royal Hotel (215 rooms) or discover the Park Inn by Radisson Hotel Stavanger (208 rooms). Effective 1st September 2016, Rezidor terminates the loss-making lease contract for the Park Inn and operates the hotel under a franchise agreement.
(...)
Source: http://www.rezidor.com/phoenix.zhtml...ase&ID=2194595

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.