Wiki Posts
Search

Expiration date of reinstated points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
Expiration date of reinstated points

What is the expiration date of reinstated QF points from a cancelled partner award (in this case, AB)?

The more detailed facts are that my brother's QF points were expiring in October 2014. He ticketed an AB award for April 2015 using all of them (plus some transferred from me), which he now cannot use.

I'm aware of the 5,000 point reinstatement fee. I'm quite surprised I couldn't see this in the T&C after a semi-thorough reading.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In the terms, the only thing I can see is that family transfers do not count as activity; cannot see anything indicating that miles credited from a cancellation would have an activity date other than the date that the booking is cancelled

Is the 5000 fee deducted from the 30,000 and then 25,000 credited or does 5,000 get deducted from the account and then 30,000 credited

If the latter , cancelling for a refund could be tricky if he doesn't have 5000 points
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asking for a replacement ff card will cost 1000 points and counts as an activity
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Asking for a replacement ff card will cost 1000 points and counts as an activity
The credited points from a cancellation would count as activity wouldn't it?

If not, then the miles would never get recredited and just be lost on cancellation it would seem

With zero miles in the account , using 1000 for a new card would seem tricky
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In the terms, the only thing I can see is that family transfers do not count as activity;
Correct. Therefore, transferring some points to him in October 2014 meant that ALL his points (i.e. those he already had PLUS those transferred from me) maintained the expiration date of October 2014.

cannot see anything indicating that miles credited from a cancellation would have an activity date other than the date that the booking is cancelled
I agree. Logic would suggest that the points expire 18 months from when they are reinstated to the account. But things are not always logical, hence the post.

Is the 5000 fee deducted from the 30,000 and then 25,000 credited or does 5,000 get deducted from the account and then 30,000 credited
My understanding is that it is deduced first.

I don't see how this is relevant to the current situation, but am open to persuasion
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:31 pm

given that the terms only exclude family transfers as counting as activity, I think that you will be fine cancelling the flight and ending up with miles that have a new 18 month expiry date ( as long as the 5000 is deducted from the refund rather than 5000 needing to be in the account to pay the cancellation penalty )
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AFF there was a case where QF points were transferred (family) to a dormant account. They expired after 90 days, as QF state they will give you 90? days notice of expiry. No quite the same as you, but points going into an inactive account. $31 at Woolworths is easy

When the points go back in to the account carefully check the expiry.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 6, 2015 at 10:29 pm
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:41 pm

A family transfer is specifically stated as being the transaction which will not reset expiration date of miles, so I don't see it as being similar to points lost after a transfer
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
given that the terms only exclude family transfers as counting as activity, I think that you will be fine cancelling the flight and ending up with miles that have a new 18 month expiry date
I'm thinking the same.

To be more explicit, the main thing I wanted to guard against is that I missed some provision whereby reinstated miles keep their expiration date (i.e. they effectively already expired and can't be reinstated). Provided there's an expiration date in the future, that's fine - whether it is 18 months from the date of reinstatement or the date of ticketing the award is less important.

$31 at Woolworths is easy
Not in Tas.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:00 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
I believe that if points are refunded for the cancellation of a classic award they shall retain their original expiry date. See below:

14.9.1 Classic Award tickets issued for travel on Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airlines or Airline Partners (including Jetstar Airlines) may be submitted for refund and re-credit prior to commencement of travel. Where applicable, only Points that would not have expired will be re-credited. A Cancellation Refund Fee (see the Fee Schedule) will apply.
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...m/terms#jump13
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hvr
I believe that if points are refunded for the cancellation of a classic award they shall retain their original expiry date
Thanks. That's the one I was afraid of and must have missed.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by jridge
I'm thinking the same.

To be more explicit, the main thing I wanted to guard against is that I missed some provision whereby reinstated miles keep their expiration date (i.e. they effectively already expired and can't be reinstated). Provided there's an expiration date in the future, that's fine - whether it is 18 months from the date of reinstatement or the date of ticketing the award is less important.

Not in Tas.
But there is a Big W which can be used to acquire points.
Also look at the Qantas Search Tool Bar to keep points taking over.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrfreezetas
But there is a Big W which can be used to acquire points.
Also look at the Qantas Search Tool Bar to keep points taking over.
Again, I don't see the relevance of advice on "how to keep points active" if they can't be reinstated. First tell me they can be reinstated, then tell me how to keep them active
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by jridge
Again, I don't see the relevance of advice on "how to keep points active" if they can't be reinstated. First tell me they can be reinstated, then tell me how to keep them active
Rock - meet hard place ...

If Qantas feel that the 14.9.1 term applied, those points are doomed.

However, I actually cannot see how the redemption itself is not activity, thereby extending the account's expiration by 18 months.

What is the current expiry date on your brother's account? (Or what is the "last activity month"?)

Back with the programme origins well over 20 years ago, points had a defined life and would expire if not used, no matter what activity an account had. I am thinking that clause is, as such, legacy and, indeed, appears to be contradicted by clause 9.2.1 and the definition of "Active Member":
9.2.1 Except as otherwise provided in these Terms and Conditions, Points will not expire as long as the Member remains an Active Member.
'Active Member' at a point in time, means a Member who has earned or redeemed Qantas Points or Status Credits (excluding any transfer of Points to or from an Eligible Family Member and excluding any conversion of Points from Aquire) on their Membership Account within the previous consecutive 18 whole month period from that point in time;
In any case, first thing I would do is make sure the account the points would go back into has some activity before the booking gets cancelled. I suggest an alternative browser such as "palemoon" to install the toolbar onto. One or two quick point earning searches should do. Any points from those searches in January should be credited early February.

It became apparent in the thread referenced by Mwenenzi that the recipient account simply needed to have activity.

Here it is for reference: http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...1-a-57928.html

Last edited by serfty; Jan 11, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
However, I actually cannot see how the redemption itself is not activity, thereby extending the account's expiration by 18 months.

What is the current expiry date on your brother's account? (Or what is the "last activity month"?)
That's a very interesting thought. Thanks for your reply! I'll check with him - don't know the answer to this question off-hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.