Search

Expiration date of reinstated points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:45 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by serfty
Rock - meet hard place ...

If Qantas feel that the 14.9.1 term applied, those points are doomed.

However, I actually cannot see how the redemption itself is not activity, thereby extending the account's expiration by 18 months.

<snip>
If the points are refunded then it could be seen as if the activity never occurred.

This would only be a problem if as you've mentioned there is no other activity in the account since the original redemption. As you wrote it would be prudent to have other activity prior to actually cancelling the ticket.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
For posterity, I'll document the outcome of this scenario.

My brother took a flight on Qantas, and waited until the points posted before seeking to cancel the award ticket, as suggested above. The points were successfully reinstated and have an expiration 18 months hence.

There was also a schedule change on the award ticket, so he successfully avoided a reinstatement penalty/fee, but I suspect this added wrinkle would not have changed the core outcome.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by jridge
There was also a schedule change on the award ticket, so he successfully avoided a reinstatement penalty/fee, but I suspect this added wrinkle would not have changed the core outcome.
Schedule changes can be your friend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.