FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expiration date of reinstated points
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:54 pm
serfty
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by jridge
Again, I don't see the relevance of advice on "how to keep points active" if they can't be reinstated. First tell me they can be reinstated, then tell me how to keep them active
Rock - meet hard place ...

If Qantas feel that the 14.9.1 term applied, those points are doomed.

However, I actually cannot see how the redemption itself is not activity, thereby extending the account's expiration by 18 months.

What is the current expiry date on your brother's account? (Or what is the "last activity month"?)

Back with the programme origins well over 20 years ago, points had a defined life and would expire if not used, no matter what activity an account had. I am thinking that clause is, as such, legacy and, indeed, appears to be contradicted by clause 9.2.1 and the definition of "Active Member":
9.2.1 Except as otherwise provided in these Terms and Conditions, Points will not expire as long as the Member remains an Active Member.
'Active Member' at a point in time, means a Member who has earned or redeemed Qantas Points or Status Credits (excluding any transfer of Points to or from an Eligible Family Member and excluding any conversion of Points from Aquire) on their Membership Account within the previous consecutive 18 whole month period from that point in time;
In any case, first thing I would do is make sure the account the points would go back into has some activity before the booking gets cancelled. I suggest an alternative browser such as "palemoon" to install the toolbar onto. One or two quick point earning searches should do. Any points from those searches in January should be credited early February.

It became apparent in the thread referenced by Mwenenzi that the recipient account simply needed to have activity.

Here it is for reference: http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...1-a-57928.html

Last edited by serfty; Jan 11, 2015 at 8:02 pm