Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Op Up's with Qantas flights operated by British Airways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Op Up's with Qantas flights operated by British Airways?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
P.S. Kiwi Flyer could it be because you always fly in the highest available cabin?
No I don't. I fly economy about as much as business, with first class (or premium economy for that matter) few and far between.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
In 5 years flying as a WP in the UK mostly on BA, I received the following op-ups:

- many on short haul flights - probably about 10% of the time;
- 2 x WT+ to J upgrades on LHR - JFK (about a 20% strike rate);
- 1 x WT+ to J upgrade on IAD - LHR (a 50% strike rate);
- 1 x double upgrade Y to J on SFO to LHR (woohoo ! - about a 20% strike rate).

Travelling on QF flight numbers should make no difference.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: AA-1MM
As an ExP on AA, I have found that I have better chances with scratch cards than getting an OpUp on QF
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No I don't. I fly economy about as much as business, with first class (or premium economy for that matter) few and far between.
That's bad to hear, as in it's a bit unfair that you've never been op-uped in that case, especially considering you earn horrific number of SCs. Do you fly much QF and BA, or are your SCs mostly from others?

If you're wondering why I am asking the question, I'm not being nosey. I'm wondering if you are getting taken for granted by QF because of your high SC, and now that I have got 'up there' in the SC-earning (close to 5,000 / year, although still nowhere near as many as yours) and also based overseas, I am wondering if the op-ups will stop for me too.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

That's bad to hear, as in it's a bit unfair that you've never been op-uped in that case, especially considering you earn horrific number of SCs. Do you fly much QF and BA, or are your SCs mostly from others?

If you're wondering why I am asking the question, I'm not being nosey. I'm wondering if you are getting taken for granted by QF because of your high SC, and now that I have got 'up there' in the SC-earning (close to 5,000 / year, although still nowhere near as many as yours) and also based overseas, I am wondering if the op-ups will stop for me too.
Even with a substantial reduction since QF pulled out of NZ domestic, made the AKL-LAX schedule not work for me, and replaced some trans-tasman with JQ, I still fly over 50 QF flights a year (will be less this year). I also fly about 10 BA flights a year.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Even with a substantial reduction since QF pulled out of NZ domestic, made the AKL-LAX schedule not work for me, and replaced some trans-tasman with JQ, I still fly over 50 QF flights a year (will be less this year). I also fly about 10 BA flights a year.
That's bad news - it does sound like you're getting taken for granted and being passed over for op-ups. Or you're very unlucky. I thought it might be the "lack of opportunity to be op-uped by QF/BA due to not flying on them a lot" but that's clearly not the case with you on QF.

I'd be curious to see if I get zero op-up from QF this year.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
That's bad news - it does sound like you're getting taken for granted and being passed over for op-ups. Or you're very unlucky. I thought it might be the "lack of opportunity to be op-uped by QF/BA due to not flying on them a lot" but that's clearly not the case with you on QF.

I'd be curious to see if I get zero op-up from QF this year.

I think more that the point is that international op-ups are exceedingly rare on QF. QF seems to able to convince people to use points to upgrade and this seems to happen more often than not enough to cover any operational issues. I've never has an international op-up on QF, but many on BA. BA exec club members are not leisure flyers with tons of credit card points they can use for upgrades.

On the other hand, QF domestic op-ups are common as people don't tend to use points to upgrade on these routes. If I remember correctly, KIWI FLYER rarely flies domestically with QF.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
oP ug

Received OP UG from Syd to jakarta on 2 April from Y to J, flight oversold in Y
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by ozzie
If I remember correctly, KIWI FLYER rarely flies domestically with QF.
Domestic for me is within NZ, and yeah I try to avoid JQ (not totally successfully).

Within Australia I fly QF almost exclusively, but this is only a dozen or so flights a year. There were more Australia domestic QF flights last year - see oz fest trip report for instance.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by ozzie
On the other hand, QF domestic op-ups are common as people don't tend to use points to upgrade on these routes.
Strangely, I have had some (not a huge number though) op-ups on QF international, and none ever on QF domestic, even though I used to fly QF domestic at least twice a week at one point.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Coming back to the thread on flights operated by BA.
I have scored a 60% op-up rate on BA flights as QF Silver or Gold. Always booked WT+ and op-uped to J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.