Wiki Posts
Search

Tripod strapped outside of checked bag?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, Skywards, Iberia Plus
Tripod strapped outside of checked bag?

Hello all, I'm new to this forum although I've used it as a resource for travel questions in the past. I travel fairly regularly, certainly not as much as some of you, but more than the average person (~30,000 to 40,000 miles a year). Apologies if this question has been asked before, but a quick search didn't pull up any clear answers.

I'm packing my bags (three of them) for a flight in 36 hours. The best way to distribute weight among my bags requires me to strap a camera tripod to the outside of a bag. The bag is a camera bag, but I am using it to carry lots and lots of books. It has tripod straps and I am using a couple other straps of my own to make sure it stays on.

Is this a good idea? I'm concerned about a few things - that it's a thief magnet, for one. The straps are there so the tripod won't fall off, but it would be a simple job to cut the straps and make away with the tripod. Another concern is being asked to repack at check-in, which I'd rather not do - I'm probably going to be pushing all my bags to the limit in terms of weight and volume, and frankly, if that happens, there's stuff I'm going to simply have to toss out (books, mainly). Or that because of the odd shape, the bag might be considered odd or oversized baggage, and I'll have to shell out another $50 for it. My conservative measurement of the bag with the tripod strapped to it is 54 x 38 x 60 cm. The other bag which I've already packed is 46 x 28 x 62 cm, so technically with these two bags I've exceeded Emirates' limit of 273 cm total dimensions for two bags.

I'm flying EK, JFK-DXB-SIN, if that makes a difference.

It might be a moot question if I have room for the tripod in my final piece of luggage, but I figured I'd ask anyway and give some time for the responses to come in.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, Skywards, Iberia Plus
I read around this forum a bit and came to my senses. The tripod is going to be packed inside my third checked bag, not strapped outside a camera bag. Still, leaving this here for posterity, in case anyone has any opinions or questions.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pelicularities
I read around this forum a bit and came to my senses. The tripod is going to be packed inside my third checked bag, not strapped outside a camera bag. Still, leaving this here for posterity, in case anyone has any opinions or questions.
Good, because I wouldn't expect the tripod to still be attached to your bag or in usable shape when you picked it up.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Glad to see you changed your plan! This is just as much a potential damage issue as it is a potential theft issue.

Checked bags get treated mighty roughly in transit. It's always best to pack with that in mind.

Even a really good, really tough tripod could be damaged in transit if strapped to the outside of a bag, with no padding or protection from impacts or shearing forces. A dedicated tripod bag will add some protection, but the best way to pack a tripod is in a fully enclosed, padded bag of some sort, whether it's a dedicated tripod bag or just inside a piece of luggage with clothing packed around it.

According to your post, you're in transit as I write this, but safe travels and clear skies anyway!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Even a really good, really tough tripod could be damaged in transit if strapped to the outside of a bag, with no padding or protection from impacts or shearing forces. A dedicated tripod bag will add some protection, but the best way to pack a tripod is in a fully enclosed, padded bag of some sort, whether it's a dedicated tripod bag or just inside a piece of luggage with clothing packed around it.
I would think the biggest threat would be snagging on something. It's unlikely the snagging would be resolved gently.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:57 am
Suspended

Back when I was still flying regularly, I used to strap my tripod to the outside of a carry-on bag. The tripod fits neatly into the back of the wedge-shaped overhead bins.

I would most definitely NOT strap a tripod to checked baggage. Ever.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't know any carrier that would accept a bag with an item strapped to it.

Far better to just hand the tripod to some kid with a camera so that he can enjoy its use since you won't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.