Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today on TSA's new badges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:40 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by CLE PD Article
Screeners will not receive them until they complete a two-day training program, and it could be months before all workers have attended and completed the program, TSA Cleveland spokesman Doug Koman said. The new uniforms are currently being distributed.

Koman defended the shirts and badges, but he doesn't know if travelers will mistake the screeners for police.

"Anytime you're dealing with the public, there's a chance of confusion," he said.
Thanks, Mr. Koman. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
CATSA (like TSA, but in Canada) used to give their SOs "badges" (more like metal versions of their logo) until a couple of years ago... the problem was that the velcro on the back of them kept letting go with the result that they would sometime drop unnoticed into bags that were being searched The final straw was when one showed up for sale on eBay Now there's a little red and silver badge sewn on to the shirts
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:03 am

Programs: I work for the TSA
Officer? Yeah whatever. And I'm Your Majesty, Emperor Spiff, "officer".
Now ya got me thinking! I wonder if I can get a badge with the title "Pagan Sex Goddess"?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
Now ya got me thinking! I wonder if I can get a badge with the title "Pagan Sex Goddess"?
Of course you can! See Dromomaniac's link.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
A badge ia a badge. Who cares what it looks like?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
A badge is a badge. Who cares what it looks like?
People who might be shot at because they look too official?

Back in High School, one of my friends was in the police Explorer scout group. Extremely bright guy. Top three in the school. Anyway, he decided to install his own blue and red lights on his car and go around "warning" people of traffic infringements they were making.

That didn't last too long, but we don't need to be boosting egos in a not-far-from-minimum-wage screening force who already see themselves as the "thin blue line" between Amerika and ravening Islamicists.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
I found this picture on Imageshack. I wonder if this is what the new badges will
look like ...
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta, Us Airways, Northwest, American, and unfortunatly United
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Allow me to be the first to paraphrase it: "Badges? We don't need no badges..."

How much does this re-uniforming/re-branding cost?

Ciao,
FH

I'm sure they don't care what it costs. It is your tax money at work. What a waste of money.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by birdstrike
People who might be shot at because they look too official?
I used to teach my recruits not to have anything signifying they were a police officer visible when not armed and on duty for that very reason.

Fortunately, a friend of mine listened to my advice. She was a dispatcher who stopped at a jewelry store on her way home, when it was robbed. Her agency's uniforms are very similar for sworn and non-sworn personnel. This could have easily been an ugly situation.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by tattikat2
They are not "officers".
Never have been , never will be.
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking they are any different to say, someone who arrives at Mcdonalds and puts on their uniform when starting a shift.
Officer, sheesh, what a load of crap.
You have got to be kidding me...
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by ERJ145er
I'm sure they don't care what it costs. It is your tax money at work. What a waste of money.
Cost is a huge issue. Why can't each checkpoint order a box of blue and white stickers printed with "Hello! My name is............" ? Lots cheaper than getting every one a brass badge and a lot friendlier too, don't you think?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: DHS, TSA, HOU
Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag
You have got to be kidding me...
I mean, he's right, besides the fact that I make four times what a McDonalds employee makes. But why let facts get in the way of a good TSA insult?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by !TSA No Play!
I mean, he's right, besides the fact that I make four times what a McDonalds employee makes. But why let facts get in the way of a good TSA insult?
The wage is unimportant and not even mentioned in the post referred to.
If its factual, where's the insult?
It's only insulting if the TSA believe they are something they are not.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: DHS, TSA, HOU
Originally Posted by tattikat2
The wage is unimportant and not even mentioned in the post referred to.
If its factual, where's the insult?
It's only insulting if the TSA believe they are something they are not.
Please, don't backpeddle as that's one of the oldest internet tricks in the book. It's right up there with Godwin's Law. "I didn't mean it THAT way. That was all YOU!"

Yes, whatever. Let me tell you something; whenever someone compares a job to Wal-Mart or McDonalds they are referencing the wage, the importance of the job (or lack thereof), and the supposed worth of the people working there. If not, you would have mentioned pilot or a job that actually commands respect, not a fast food joint.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by !TSA No Play!
...a job that actually commands respect...
Aye, there's the rub.

Command. Hmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.