Search

USA Today on TSA's new badges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: DHS, TSA, HOU
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Aye, there's the rub.

Command. Hmmm.
Whether you actually think my job commands respect or not is not the issue at hand. The poster was trying to say that a comparison to a McDonalds was not exactly an insult, when in fact it is given the sterotypical potrayal of a McDonald's employee.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by !TSA No Play!
Please, don't backpeddle as that's one of the oldest internet tricks in the book. It's right up there with Godwin's Law. "I didn't mean it THAT way. That was all YOU!"

Yes, whatever. Let me tell you something; whenever someone compares a job to Wal-Mart or McDonalds they are referencing the wage, the importance of the job (or lack thereof), and the supposed worth of the people working there. If not, you would have mentioned pilot or a job that actually commands respect, not a fast food joint.
Not wanting to be guilty of any internet trick, be it old or new, let me be clear about my perspective.

I think that the pilot, TSA screener or McDonald's server have equal "worth" as human beings. That said, their jobs do not have equal value. I have respect for the pilot and the McDonald's server because they contribute something of value in my interactions with them. The best the TSA screener can hope for is to be only a minor nuisance. If TSA actually contributed to security in a meaningful way perhaps things would be otherwise, but as it is the whole agency is nothing but a leech on the air travel industry and business in general. While TSA employees may be great persons at individuals, their jobs are (in the literal sense of the word) worthless.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by T-the-B
Not wanting to be guilty of any internet trick, be it old or new, let me be clear about my perspective.

I think that the pilot, TSA screener or McDonald's server have equal "worth" as human beings. That said, their jobs do not have equal value. I have respect for the pilot and the McDonald's server because they contribute something of value in my interactions with them. The best the TSA screener can hope for is to be only a minor nuisance. If TSA actually contributed to security in a meaningful way perhaps things would be otherwise, but as it is the whole agency is nothing but a leech on the air travel industry and business in general. While TSA employees may be great persons at individuals, their jobs are (in the literal sense of the word) worthless.
So you're in favor of no screening whatsoever?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aye, there's the rub.

Command. Hmmm.
Agreed.

I have a lot of respect for the hard working fast food workers in the USA.

Not so much for screeners. So far, the group (collectively) has done very little to earn it.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: DHS, TSA, HOU
Aye, there's the rub.

Command. Hmmm.

Sheesh, that's pretty harsh, but fortunately for me I'm fond of the taste of blood so I can take a bit of solace in the fact that I found the right agency to work for.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by law dawg
My guess is the job as TSA implements it.

No screening whatsoever is a popular straw man argument lately.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag
You have got to be kidding me...
Not kidding at all.

TSA employees will never be officers as far as many of us are concerned.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Not kidding at all.

TSA employees will never be officers as far as many of us are concerned.
"I'm not an officer in real life, but I play one at the airport."

Post 6,666 baby!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
My guess is the job as TSA implements it.

No screening whatsoever is a popular straw man argument lately.
Not at all.

Worthless is defined as "of no use or value."

"No use" is quite specific. Not mostly useless, all the way. If someone wishes to articulate their argument they must be careful of their definitions. God knows I've had this pointed out to me a time or two on this very board...
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Superguy
"I'm not an officer in real life, but I play one at the airport."

Post 6,666 baby!
Nice!

"My soulless agency bestows bogus titles on the employees to add to their false sense of importance."
Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by !TSA No Play!
Whether you actually think my job commands respect or not is not the issue at hand.
I'm a civilian, nobody commands my respect. Some earn it.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
No, but the level of screening could, and should, be greatly reduced.

The 3.2-1-1 nonsense and the shoe carnival could be replaced with swabs for traces of explosives and the nonsense over pointy objects could be eliminated entirely. The new reality is that if anyone tries to take over a flight the reinforced cockpit doors will present a sufficient barrier to allow the passengers to beat any would-be hijackers into submission. The old protocol of "just sit still and cooperate with the hijacker" didn't survive to the end of Sept. 11 as the crash in Pennsylvania demonstrates. Additionally, getting a bladed object past security is a trivial matter for anyone determined to do so. The only thing that TSA accomplishes is to disarm non-threatening passengers.

Perhaps TSA could divert some manpower and effort away from pointless activities and put a little thought to screening cargo.

The proof that TSA is engaged in security theater rather than security is that it pours more and more effort into public activities with little or no effectiveness at the expense of things like cargo screening which would be useful but out of the public eye.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't no screening what we effectively have today?

You know that, and I know that, so why pretend that anything else happens at the airport checkpoint?

It is a given that the TSA is incompatible with the freedoms granted us as American citizens. There has not been a single incident that justifies their existence post 9/11. @:-)

No TSA employee, nor FAM, has had a single interaction with a "terrorist" since their programs were formed.

Last edited by birdstrike; Jun 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:47 am

No, but the level of screening could, and should, be greatly reduced.

The 3.2-1-1 nonsense and the shoe carnival could be replaced with swabs for traces of explosives and the nonsense over pointy objects could be eliminated entirely. The new reality is that if anyone tries to take over a flight the reinforced cockpit doors will present a sufficient barrier to allow the passengers to beat any would-be hijackers into submission. The old protocol of "just sit still and cooperate with the hijacker" didn't survive to the end of Sept. 11 as the crash in Pennsylvania demonstrates. Additionally, getting a bladed object past security is a trivial matter for anyone determined to do so. The only thing that TSA accomplishes is to disarm non-threatening passengers.

Perhaps TSA could divert some manpower and effort away from pointless activities and put a little thought to screening cargo.

The proof that TSA is engaged in security theater rather than security is that it pours more and more effort into public activities with little or no effectiveness at the expense of things like cargo screening which would be useful but out of the public eye.
I've argued many times that your "new reality" is, at best, a gamble, seeing as how it's never been put to the test and this line of thinking presupposes the same tactics used by the next hijacking crew, as if terrorists don't learn and apply lessons.

Still, I'll grant it all to you for the purposes of this discussion. That still means, per your statement, that the TSA isn't worthless, just not as efficient as you'd like.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Isn't no screening what we effectively have today?

You know that, and I know that, so why pretend that anything else happens at the airport checkpoint?
What are all the weapons seized at checkpoints about, then?

It is a given that the TSA is incompatible with the freedoms granted us as American citizens. There has not been a single incident that justifies their existence post 9/11. @:-)
Was pre-9/11 screening compatible? Are the new protocols unconstitutional?

No TSA employee, nor FAM, has had a single interaction with a "terrorist" since their programs were formed.
I'd say that you're wrong, but I have no open source documents to back it up, so we're left at an impasse. It's hard for me to "keep clam" in times like these, when I know something to be true but can't back it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.