Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today on TSA's new badges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
I really don't understand why the badges are a big deal one way or the other.

I'm reminded of the riff in "Office Space" where the jagoff restaurant manager gives the Jennifer Anniston character a hard time about not having enough buttons and badges ("flair") pinned to her uniform.

Well, that's how I feel about the badge ... it's just one more piece of flair I have to keep track of!

Usually I put all the required crap on my uniform while riding the parking lot shuttle bus in to the airport. No sense wasting time at home!
As I recall, you are just with TSA for the health insurance. You are fulfilling the American Dream by abusing both your employer and the flying public. No need to try and understand why the badges have no redeeming social value.

Actually, your position of parasitising two competing groups is probably unique in natural history and deserving of a paper.

Last edited by birdstrike; Jun 16, 2008 at 9:21 pm
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
I agree these badges are not neccesary.

Is it really any different from the meaningless piece of tin worn on the chest of your local rent-a-cop?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Top Tier

Is it really any different from the meaningless piece of tin worn on the chest of your local rent-a-cop?
One usually has to commit a crime before the local rent-a-cop starts harassing you and/or destroying your civil liberties.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Originally Posted by Spiff
One usually has to commit a crime before the local rent-a-cop starts harassing you and/or destroying your civil liberties.

By rent-a-cop I was referring to the private, unarmed, contracted security guards you would typically see at grocery stores and construction sites. The ones with no more "aw-thor-a-tye" (sorry cartman) than any other private citizen.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:53 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Given that you all praise them so much (heavy sarcasm here) one wonders what the badge bunnies who are attracted to them are going to be like?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:39 am

Programs: I work for the TSA
As I recall, you are just with TSA for the health insurance. You are fulfilling the American Dream by abusing both your employer and the flying public.
And STILL, people call me a slacker!

I tell ya, it's hard work abusing so many people at once!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Top Tier
Yeah, can I have one too ? Perhaps a suitable design could be made available from the FT Store ?

"Official Airline Passenger"
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond

I'm reminded of the riff in "Office Space" where the jagoff restaurant manager gives the Jennifer Anniston character a hard time about not having enough buttons and badges ("flair") pinned to her uniform.

Well, that's how I feel about the badge ... it's just one more piece of flair I have to keep track of!
A few, off the top of my head, comments re: your statement above.

1. You aren't, to the best of my knowledge, Jennifer Anniston

2. You, & your bretheren, aren't waitstaff in a restaurant relying on tips from satisfied customers, though that's certainly a concept that I would be willing to consider-put a tip jar @ at the checkpoint exit & then wait to see how long it takes to fill.

3. No one would ever mistake a waitress, even if it was Jennifer Anniston, as a real LEO, which seems to be the intent of your new costumes, in a not very subtle attempt at convincing the Kettle's you, the screeners, have more authority than you really do.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Usually I put all the required crap on my uniform while riding the parking lot shuttle bus in to the airport. No sense wasting time at home!
You definitely need to cover yourself in flair. I'll keep an eye out for the TSO wearing the pin that says, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Mike
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
"Some of our officers aren't respected," TSA spokeswoman Ellen Howe said.
Some of your officers are thieves, sexual predators, or power-tripping sadists, Ellen. You can put badges on 'em, but it won't change anything; it'll probably only make the rogue element even worse.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: I work for the TSA
You definitely need to cover yourself in flair. I'll keep an eye out for the TSO wearing the pin that says, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
^

Can I also have one that says, "I've never been the same since that twister dropped a house on my sister"?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Oxb
Stranded!
Stranded on the toilet bowl.
What do you you do do when you're stranded.
without a roll.
thought it was "and you ain't got a roll"
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
That's because respect is EARNED, not rammed down our throats, you bumbling morons.
+1.

Of course, that cuts both ways as well........
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Yeah, can I have one too ? Perhaps a suitable design could be made available from the FT Store ?

"Official Airline Passenger"
Not a bad idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.