#2 Shoe carnival
#3 Liquid ban
#4 TSA employee impertinence
#5 Ridiculously long lines
#6 Laptop removal
#7 TSA employee personal hygiene
#8 Screening exclusion for security-side airport employees
#9 Inconsistent rule application
#10 TSA Employee laziness (refusing to push items through the x-ray machine)
#2 & #3 will stay the way they are until we go back to yellow.
#4 I totally agree
Can't do a whole lot about #5
I understand why we do #6. With all the other stuff in PC bags, they can
become extremely cluttered
#7 Totally agree. Geez dude...take a shower & brush your teeth.
#8 We are now screening security side employees. And BTW.....they hate it.
#9 is my #2 complaint
#10 We do have some very lazy people, and they pretty much know they can stay that way without reprisal. However, don't you think you'd be better off making sure your belongings get thru ? I've seen alot of money left out in plain sight, sitting there while the pax is on the other side.

Let's keep this going. Have seen some good ones.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Originally Posted by TakeScissorsAway
This is my #2 complaint. We have 3 different cp's @ RDU. If I am sent to A or C, I have to ask what we are & aren't doing. Even the morning shift does things differently. It's freakin' ridiculous
Try LAX with 8 terminals, numerous checkpoints and nobody does it the same. Even shift to shift some things differ.

ab53
Old Jul 15, 2007, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The inconsistency is incredible. The BS line that this is to, "Keep the bad guys on their toes" is an absurd affront to our intelligence.

The barking is extremely annoying, too. It is also completely ineffective. Shout at someone and that person will tune you out. Have a look at what the UK does in this regard. Sure, I have my problems with some of their other policies. But, in the UK security people often roam the line asking each passenger individually about the same things the barkers in the US shout about. This proves to be much more effective.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
#2 & #3 will stay the way they are until we go back to yellow.
Go back to yellow?? Hahahahahahahahahaha.. Hahahahaha... Ow, my aching sides. Go back to yellow.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:35 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
1. TSA has too much authority. In no way should they be able to decide who can and cannot move about. Reassign these workfare recipients and use them as a valet service or parking attendants. I'd find them much more useful in either capacity.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
The inconsistency is incredible. The BS line that this is to, "Keep the bad guys on their toes" is an absurd affront to our intelligence.

The barking is extremely annoying, too. It is also completely ineffective. Shout at someone and that person will tune you out. Have a look at what the UK does in this regard. Sure, I have my problems with some of their other policies. But, in the UK security people often roam the line asking each passenger individually about the same things the barkers in the US shout about. This proves to be much more effective.
By barking do you mean shouting out commands? Yes, I have realized the futility of doing this and personally stopped this as a practice some time ago.

Last edited by DCA TSO; Jul 16, 2007 at 1:02 am
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:19 am
formerly OliverS

Originally Posted by DCA TSO
By barking do you mean shouting out commands? Yes, I have realized the futility of doing this and personally stopped this as a practice some time ago.
Yeah,

those guys yelling at the line in general. Incredibly annoying - and not very effective.

Personally I also hate the inconsistency the most, closely followed by the fact that you feel absolutley powerless (even though if you probably aren't) - if you want to catch your plane, better be prepared to do exactly what these guys tell you.
Immigration used to be the toughest part of travelling to the US (read: most uncomfortable part which can go bad), nowadays it is security when boarding a plane in the US.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
The attitude that TSA is right no matter what the pax says. There seems to be no desire to resolve disputes.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:25 am

In SYR they focus so much on not having the shoes in the bin that they don't care about anything else. Keeping shoes on would eliminate that hassle.

And they thought my USB flash drive was a knife.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:50 am

TSA Aggravation

My main beefs:

1) Whenever a shift arrives or departs, it's mayhem in the airport. I've never seen a bunch of adults act like kids on the last day of school. All over the place, running in traffic.

2)Sloppy dress on and off shift. How these "officers" received the title I don't know. Any LEA would be embarrassed to have them.

3)They keep on asking me to take my cable lock off of my service pistol/rifle to "swab it for explosives". There's no reason for that cable lock to come off, dipwad.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Taker Park

3)They keep on asking me to take my cable lock off of my service pistol/rifle to "swab it for explosives". There's no reason for that cable lock to come off, dipwad.
I'm sorry but that's so sad that it's got me laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes:

1. The intelligence of some of those who believe they are the front line of the "wah on terrah" is mind boggling.

2. And good grief, take the cable lock OFF!!!! Do they have any idea why the lock is on the weapon in the first place?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
#1. Shoe removal
#2. Laptop removal
#3. Liquids
#4. Rude agents (East coast in particular)
#5. Barking
#6. Security checks on small children
#7. Agents who riffle through your luggage and then tell you to repack it
#8. No bins
#9. Enormous lines at busy times
#10. It's all smoke and mirrors, anyway
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by doober

2. And good grief, take the cable lock OFF!!!! Do they have any idea why the lock is on the weapon in the first place?
Yeah, so when the ramp crew steals it, they can't use it.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) ACCOUNTABILITY, on ALL levels. If a screener fails to find the components planted by a red team, fire that person on the spot. Why should letting bomb components breezing by be allowed?

Accountability on retaliatory secondaries. End the blanket policy of supervisors covering the ... of a screener (this is why I say to TSAers to watch out what they wish for when complaining about management).

Allow passengers to get the name and badge number of rogue screeners. Many times, TSAers know when a passenger is going to complain about them. I've never seen a TSAer go into an epileptic seizure and end up in an awkward body position like when they know I'm getting their name and badge number off their nameplate. And when you go to a supervisor, they will not let you or let themselves get the requested information, saying it will interfere with the "security" procedures. End that nonsense.

Further about complaints....plant some. Give them to a supervisor to see if they are sent through to the appropriate channels. If not, discipline the supervisor.

2) TECHNOLOGY. I have never been there, but I have heard about scanners at NRT being in use to tell what kind of liquid is in a container. Why can't we use it here? Why can't we use ANY non-intrusive technology such as puffers? It's been proven that x-rays cannot detect explosives.

3) SSSS. Get rid of it. We are so naive in thinking that we're going to nab OBL himself with this ridiculous procedure.

4) LIQUIDS. Why are the same kinds of liquids that we buy at a grocery store (likely from the same distributor) not allowed, while the ones we can buy for an exorbitant price at Hudson News are allowed? Those items are screened the same way when going into the "sterile" area, right? Right?

5) PHYSICAL WELL-BEING OF TSA STAFF. There's a reason why the TSA is the government agency with the largest amount of OTJ injury claims. One reason is their "slinging" of checked bags. Get proper lifting technique back into a regimen.

Furthermore, adopt a physical fitness standard. If the airlines can implement a weight standard, so can the government. Hell, the government has stripped most of passengers rights as it is, it should be able to include that into the list of things aspiring TSAers should sign away as well.

For starters, if a TSAer can't walk sideways through a magnetometer without setting it off, feed them a salad or two.

6) UNIFORM APPLICATION OF THE RULES. One example: my sub-quart baggie that didn't blow up the plane on the way to DFW shouldn't be questioned leaving DFW.

7) 100% EMPLOYEE SCREENING. FSDs, CSRs...whoever. Including TSAers who go out to cart out more plastic bins on the other side of the x-ray (like at DEN). This is NOT a tit-for-tat move. Doing so would benefit two ways....having TSAers go experience exactly what passengers go through all the time. And it would provide a TRUE sterile area.

This includes catering trucks and anybody on the tarmac. Anybody.

8) WASH THE FLOOR. Even the movie theaters wash their floors once in awhile. If we're going to go through THIS theater, as in "Kabuki," with bare or socked feet, at least we can stop giving germs to each other.

9) STOP ASKING ME WHAT AN ITEM IS. If you can't identify the item on my keychain, such as a pre-paid parking key, then ETD it or don't ask me. If we are on the honor system, then why did I need to dump all my items in the x-ray in the first place?

10) DESIGNED INCONSISTENCY. Hawley has said it, and the BOS FSD used it to skirt out of a damning situation involving a TSAer. Stop insulting our intelligence. Even a TSAer has said in this forum there is no such thing.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Would like to compile a list, and send it to the TSA idea factory
There is such a thing as a TSA idea factory? That is really scary.

Can we assume that, like all the rest of the factories in the U.S., it has been outsourced to Red China?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.