Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top 10 list of TSA complaints

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Can we assume that, like all the rest of the factories in the U.S., it has been outsourced to Red China?
Good one
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by doober
I'm sorry but that's so sad that it's got me laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes:

1. The intelligence of some of those who believe they are the front line of the "wah on terrah" is mind boggling.

2. And good grief, take the cable lock OFF!!!! Do they have any idea why the lock is on the weapon in the first place?
Geez, what unwarranted hostility. It's scary to think folks with your disposition are out there enforcing laws in this country. If you want to play the role of tough guy please join Blackwater and go play goon in another country, pal.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCA TSO
Geez, what unwarranted hostility. It's scary to think folks with your disposition are out there enforcing laws in this country. If you want to play the role of tough guy please join Blackwater and go play goon in another country, pal.
doober's disposition?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
Consistency in what goes in the bin and what doesn't.

Seems like every screener has his/her own eccentricities about what can go in the bin and what can't.

I hate getting yelled at to put my item in the bin, or take it out of the bin, at the screener's whim. Worse is when the screener starts rearranging my stuff his/herself. That's when I grab hold of the bin and tell them to stop.

I often travel with a small tote bag. It doesn't close at the top very well. I want to put it in the bin so nothing falls out. What difference does it make it if goes in with my shoes and my cell phone? I'm still using one bin and only one bin.

And I agree completely with the complaints about the barking. I particularly dislike it when the screener begins the harangue with "I". "I need everyone to take their shoes off. I need all liquids in a baggie" or whatever.

How about beginning the REQUEST with the word "please" as in, "please take your jacket off and put it in the bin" and use your inside voice!
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:49 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Superguy
I agree with all that's been said so far.

I'd also like to see you give them this:

Revised TSA Terrorism Poster

to show them what people think of them.
^ Excellent!!!
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
New liquids rule must be the lamest. I can take as many containers as I want, as long as they are all under oz requirement? Seriously? Like someone couldn't take 10 bottles and mix them back together in the bathroom.

I really want to meet the guy that comes up with these iron clad security measures.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:19 pm

#1 - Liquids ban. Seriously, my full size moisturizer is no threat to anyone

#2 - Shoes off. Walking without shoes on the floor is just disgusting. Putting my purse on the conveyor that just had someone's shoes on it is also disgusting.

#3 - Lack of common sense of TSA personnel. I've seen TSAers push bins off the end of the conveyor...that had laptops in them. I've seen them seriously question whether a baggie was "legal" sized when it's clearly close enough (either a European size or a sandwich sized baggie that only needed to hold one item).

#4 - Inconsistent application. I think enough has been said on this, but it's really infuriating to have to go through and wonder what the rules are at each airport.

#5 - Lack of sensitivity to theft. At SJC last week, I was forced to push my items through the conveyor, even though there was a line of 8 people waiting to get through the WTMD. I objected, noting the big line, but was yelled at to "stop holding things up, your bags will be waiting." Sorry, but my bags could have been long gone by the time I made it through. HUGE peeve of mine, and it goes along with not being able to lock your checked luggage.

(phew, I'm exhausted now -- last 5 quickly)

#6 - no bins
#7 - same as sonora -- why do you care what i put in a bin?
#8 - barking/yelling -- it clearly isn't getting the message across, so please stop
#9 - liquids ban -- yes, i know i said it before, it just really irks me
#10 - lack of cargo screening -- why do we go through all of this when you're just going to stick unscreened cargo on the plane with us?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:35 pm

A lot of the things mentioned here are just minor annoyances and are mostly problems only in the sense that they distract from the larger issues. Here's what I see as important:

Consistency: screen everyone and everything. Hardly needs explaining except to the people who think they should be excused.

Consistency: adjust the equipment the same everywhere. If I don't set off the alarm in TLH, then when I go through LAX dressed the same and carrying the same, I shouldn't set off the alarm there either. I shouldn't have to worry whether the rivets in my jeans will be OK one place and not another. (Hey, at least I no longer have to worry about the lace holes and sole shanks in my hiking boots.)

Consistency: of procedures. Mentioned plenty already.

Long lines: at least TSA could schedule shifts better. I have stood in a very long line at LAX terminal 2 at 5:40 AM because only two of the six lines were open. At 6:00 the morning shift came on and the lines cleared. Obviously TSA needs to schedule some workers to start at 5:30 in that terminal.

Patience and politeness: lots said already, but I'd add that I think I've seen more problems with passengers then with TSA. Hey, I walk up with my baggage and before they can ask, I say "unlocked, no film, no firearms", and almost always get a smile in response. Smiles from passengers do a lot to change the attitudes of TSA employees in my experience. There's still no excuse for rude TSA workers, but there's no excuse for rude passengers either.

Policy: this goes above TSA. Our entire approach to security is based on walls. From the Great Wall to the Berlin Wall, history tells us that walls last for a while and then fall. So will the airport screening wall. In the long run our security is enhanced more by bridges than by walls.

Edward
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'll have to think a bit more about a top-ten list, but I'd add the "Mythbusters" video site that doesn't include any videos of when the TSA does wrong...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCA TSO

Originally Posted by LessO2
doober's disposition?
&
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paleolith

Policy: this goes above TSA. Our entire approach to security is based on walls. From the Great Wall to the Berlin Wall, history tells us that walls last for a while and then fall. So will the airport screening wall.
And no matter how high we build the walls, the terrorists will build taller ladders.

In the long run our security is enhanced more by bridges than by walls.
^^
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by cpx
^ Excellent!!!
It's not working anymore! Do you think Komrades Kip and Chertoff got ahold of it and demanded the site be shut down? LOL

Last edited by DL4EVR; Jul 16, 2007 at 3:36 pm Reason: sp
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Most annoying is when they look at your boarding pass and call you by your first name and make small conversation. Engaging to note your disposition. Just shut up and spare me the small talk! I am already annoyed with the procedures that small talk is the last I want to make!

When I am given the SSSS, I hate the way they literally tear open my bags to poke into it. It is a bag with electronics and all kinds of paper work, there are no easter eggs in it. BTW what the heck was the X-ray for when you had to paw through my bags again.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Most annoying is when they look at your boarding pass and call you by your first name and make small conversation. Engaging to note your disposition. Just shut up and spare me the small talk! I am already annoyed with the procedures that small talk is the last I want to make!

When I am given the SSSS, I hate the way they literally tear open my bags to poke into it. It is a bag with electronics and all kinds of paper work, there are no easter eggs in it. BTW what the heck was the X-ray for when you had to paw through my bags again.
Get the name and badge number of the TSAer. Let him/her know you've recorded his/her information and will use it should you find damaged equipment. Let THEM squirm for once.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:20 pm

I hate what's happened to security since 9/11. I can remember once leaving my house with 30 minutes to go before my flight -- and still making it on board. Here's what I think has changed for the worse and isn't helping anything.

1. Liquids ban. Others have covered it, so I'll spare the lecture.

2. Shoe carnival. Again, covered.

3. Security gates close 30 minutes before flight. If I think I can make my flight, let me at least try to make it. It NEVER takes 30 minutes to clear security at AUS, and I can usually do it in 10, so why should I have to miss my flight because it's 28 minutes before my flight leaves? Which leads me to...

3a. Everyone going through security requires a ticket. Why? If I'm willing to subject myself to the security screening, why can't I go through to the secured area? It was nice back when I could meet my wife (now, girlfriend) at the gate, or wait with her until the flight took off. It was nice knowing that I could pick up my checked luggage and then wait in the secured area for the rest of my party to arrive on another flight. It was nice to go and listen to live music in the Austin airport. I can't do the last anymore, because live music in the airport was a casualty of 9/11 and to do the others, I have to convince the ticketing agent to give me a gate pass or buy a fully refundable plane ticket. Stupid, sucks, and hurts the entire experience.

4. Inconsistancy, and not just from airport to airport. I'm a frequent flyer and I can't tell you with any certainty what can and cannot be carried on a flight. It used to be fairly obvious, and only once did I see anyone get hassled for packing a prohibited item. Now I see it every time I'm in the airport.

5. Long lines. Why does it take so long to go through security now? Because of all the rules and restrictions above, it takes longer to "get undressed" to go through security and "get dressed" again once you clear it. Meanwhile, the screeners are focused on finding liquids and they're missing the really important items.

6. Attitude. I know it's the Stanford prison experiment all over again, but it needs to stop.

7. Lack of sensitivity to theft. I was trying to figure out how to state this one, but someone did it for me. I keep having TSA agents try to take my bins out of my eyesight or get me to pass through the scanner well before or well after my luggage does. No thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.