Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Lost Photo ID - How to Get through Airport Security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Photo ID - How to Get through Airport Security?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Print out both of them, plus take anything else that has your name and preferably a picture such as airline FFP cards or credit/bank cards ideally with photos and get to the airport early.
Also, file a police report about the loss of your passport and take a copy of it along to show the agent as well. Also, any printed out conversation you have with the consulate regarding your appointment might be helpful as well.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification has it summed up pretty well.
When my passport was destroyed while on a trip in the US once, TSA let me through with minimal hassle and basically accepted my foreign drivers license plus a printout of the embassy paperwork to get a new one. Was a lot easier than I expected it to be. I have PreCheck and a KTN, though.
An excellent response. Thank you.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Avoid the ticket aa ticket counter if you can and get your boarding pass online and go straight to TSA if possible with your photo copies and credit cards utility bills. You will get extra screening and be fine. The ticket counter or baggage check could cause problems. The TSA knows the procedure the airline CSR people are often not informed properly.
Good advice. Thank you.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:54 am

I am now airside CLE.
TSA at this airport were wonderful.
I did avoid the check-in counter and go to security with my printed boarding pass from an online check-in, as advised by Centurion.
They checked every item of identification I could present. They also did a very thorough inspection of every piece of luggage and clothing I had with me. I also had an extremely "close" body pat-down, as to be expected.
FTers using US ports and carriers can feel quite secure as the TSA are doing a great job.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:57 pm

Flying without a license

All. I hope I can say it happens to us all but I lost my wallet on site and will be returning home Friday Morning. I did a search on TSA's website that says they may let me fly if I feel out some documentation. My concern is the "might" part. I do have TSA Precheck. Does anyone have any information on what to expect trying to fly home without an id? The flight is the first one out of nashville at 530am.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If they can identify you by using commercially available info you'll get to fly. Arrive at the airport a bit early. Approach the clerk and say you have lost your ID and they'll go through their procedure.
Getting a police report for the lost wallet is a good idea. It'll save you any headache with credit card companies and state agencies for replacing the ID. And the TSA will like to see the effort.
If possible, get as much as you can. If someone can send you photos of your passport page, Work ID with name & photo, Costco Id with Photo ect that is good. Having your State ID number is good too. Can aid in the quickly identifying you.

Lastly, be ready for a thorough freedom groping.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:16 pm

The good sign is the check point opens at 330am. Hopefully that is enough time to get cleared. Will I be able to check my bag without a id card at the Delta counter? I won't have to pay anything since I have status with Delta and my fee is waived but no way to prove my identity. Also, won't need a boarding pass as I have the Delta app and I can check in via my phone.

As far as proving my identity. I have a company ID card with my photo and my name but due to security policy it does not state the company. I do however have business cards with my name on it. as well as a company laptop that I can log into and pull up my employer profile which has my name and photo and address etc.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Does the airport have Kiosks and bag drop?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I had this issue when flying to OGG, realized I left my ID at home. I had the benefit of having credit cards I could use that had my name, but I would suggest you go on the web and print copies of your electricity and gas bills, maybe even cell phone bill so they can match the number on your bill to your phone, and your hotel receipt. Enough info that helps you prove it's you. Also having that company ID will help (I had an old expired school ID with me).

Essentially for me, they took my documents back in to a room, came out 10 minutes later and said I was good, I did have to go through a full pat down screen including a thorough search of my bags. Also I wasn't allowed to go through PreCheck obviously. It added about 30 minutes to my trip having to go through the General line and another 20 minutes to get pat down, but otherwise went smoothly.

Good luck!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Happened to me once. I left my license in small evening bag and forgot to put it back in my wallet. A supervisor was called over and the only thing I had with a photograph was a blurry, awful Costco card. They did look at my other credit cards, including Social security and also looked at my checkbook to see if my name matched the cards in my wallet. They let me board.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Happened to me once. I left my license in small evening bag and forgot to put it back in my wallet. A supervisor was called over and the only thing I had with a photograph was a blurry, awful Costco card. They did look at my other credit cards, including Social security and also looked at my checkbook to see if my name matched the cards in my wallet. They let me board.
I've used the same card in combination with my AK fishing license.

<mod hat on>

Please follow the redirect as we relocate your post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:59 am

Phew! I read this as flying the aircraft without a pilots license!!!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The key to this is to bring as many forms of alternate ID as possible, even if no one of those ID's meets the TSA government ID standard.

To check your bag, go to the counter. DL will tag the bag but won't load it until you appear at the gate with your noted BP. There is a process for this, so simply ask for a supervisor if you get a lecture.

At the checkpoint, inform the first Officer (I don't think that there are clerks at checkpoints).

Alternate ID's can be emailed to you as PDF's from someone back home. These could include school / gym and other ID's which might have a photo, utility bills in your name and showing your home address and even magazine scubscriptions in your name.

The longest wait is for a supervisor who is free. Once the process starts, should be no more than 5 extra minutes. So, if you arrive 30 minutes before, you are fine.

Note that even if your BP is issued with Pre-Check, you will still be subject to full secondary screening of you and your carry-on.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Question Experience with TSA PreCheck and Lost/Forgotten ID?

Deleted - My question was kindly moved here from another thread by a Mod; I see that the answers are already all here.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Jan 26, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.