Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Lost Photo ID - How to Get through Airport Security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

A friend just lost her driver's license this evening. It's the only photo ID she has on her and she's supposed to fly OAK-LAX tomorrow. I searched and found a couple of threads from a few years ago indicating this will not be a problem. But still I'd welcome any updated info on this, including what she should expect at the airport.

If in fact she does need a photo ID, she might be able to have someone scan and email a copy of her passport page. Would this be sufficient?

Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:33 am

If she has her passport, then there's no problem. Use that as a form of id.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:52 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Smile

She'll be fine. Just allow for extra time at the airport.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.
is from this web page.

In other words, yes, but they will need information that can be used to prove identity. They will need to have a web presence that can be looked up. Anything even resembling a photo ID, CostCO card, old high school ID, college ID, work ID's, especially anything with a photo can be used. The copy of the passport will not hurt. Once the TSA is satisfied that the substitute ID requirement is met, they may give the carry on a thorough screening, more than an xray. Your friend will likely get a thorough pat down as well.

In this case, tell the truth and plead for sympathy. This sort of problem happens all of the time and it is rare that it can not be worked around. Allow about an extra hour for the process.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Yes she can. Get to the airport a bit earlier than usual. TSA will ask her various questions to identify her. My friend lost his 2 weeks ago in NYC, no problem getting home.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for the useful replies, folks. As it turns out, someone who found her license called a little while ago to let her know, and she's on the way to retrieve it now. But this is all good to know, particularly for anyone who has a similar problem down the line...including me, since I travel a lot and since my wonderful wife has twice misplaced (but subsequently found) her ID at airports.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While not as good as the real document it serves as a good reminder to scan or take a photo of your ID's and put them someplace online where you can access them should you need them. You can't use a scanned license or passport to get through security but having it may make the no ID process a bit easier in helping them identify you.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
is from this web page.

In other words, yes, but they will need information that can be used to prove identity. They will need to have a web presence that can be looked up. Anything even resembling a photo ID, CostCO card, old high school ID, college ID, work ID's, especially anything with a photo can be used. The copy of the passport will not hurt. Once the TSA is satisfied that the substitute ID requirement is met, they may give the carry on a thorough screening, more than an xray. Your friend will likely get a thorough pat down as well.

In this case, tell the truth and plead for sympathy. This sort of problem happens all of the time and it is rare that it can not be worked around. Allow about an extra hour for the process.
Originally Posted by cordelli
While not as good as the real document it serves as a good reminder to scan or take a photo of your ID's and put them someplace online where you can access them should you need them. You can't use a scanned license or passport to get through security but having it may make the no ID process a bit easier in helping them identify you.
Very good advice, folks. Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I genuinely lost my DL and all I could find was a college ID hat expired in the 90's. It was good enough to get me through several checkpoints with very little questioning.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by sbrower
This answer is 100% wrong. Please edit your post to delete this information so that you don't confuse people who look here in the future.
We appreciate the concern raised here and via mod alerts over the past few days. FWIW, I don't think anyone will be lead astray on the ID rule given the considerable explication here and in previous threads on the topic. Deleting erroneous info is probably counterproductive to the flow of discussion at this point.

------------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by cordelli
Great suggestion, cordelli.

Since my first trip aboard in '83 I've kept a photocopy of my passport in each piece of carry-on and checked luggage I own so that I'm never without some kind of verification of identity. Redundancy can be a virtue.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:20 pm

almost same situation for me as well (last week). i lost my id vegas, flight was out of lax on united.

@lax, i printed the boarding pass from a kiosk (didn't interact with anyone at ticketing), went to TSA line and told the first TSA person that i didn't have id; he called over someone else and she asked me about other forms of potential id: credit cards, anything with a picture (costco amex). and i had plenty of other cards but she only really looked at my chase sapphire and costco amex.

i had no additional screening or anything out of the usual; just walk through the metal detector and get my stuff.

my guess is if you go to ticketing and get your tickets from them (or if you're checking anything) they might make a certain mark on your boarding pass, but i'm not sure. ultimately it's up to TSA to let you in or not, not the airline (if you have a boarding pass already).
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: PC Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, United Silver, DL Plat, IC Gold, Hertz. #1, AMX Plat

I'm currently in FL on vacation. My DS realized he lost his photo ID. The hotel has not found it. We fly home in 2 days. How am I going to get him on the plane without an ID?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
If it is not possible to get a replacement, show up at the airport early and explain it. They will mark your ticket as needing extra security screening. When you go to TSA, they will usually do some extra screening including a pat down then let you go. This usually works, but it is better to have an ID if possible. Also, if possible, check that passengers bags to someone else. If no baggage is involved, it usually makes things easier. Remember though, TSA is very unpredictable these days.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mscoachung
I'm currently in FL on vacation. My DS realized he lost his photo ID. The hotel has not found it. We fly home in 2 days. How am I going to get him on the plane without an ID?
As long as you have something with his name, credit card, sky club card, anything. You will just go through a secondary screening where they will ask you some questions. Probably get through quicker without an ID.

This goes for anyone traveling domestically. Photo ID is NOT required just supposedly quicker....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.