Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WOW...The Pat Down Has Actually Gotten Worse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
I find this a very worthy contribution. Thank you, JennyElf.

I asked the question as an intellectual exercise; I hope you read it as such.

To explicate a bit: Personally, I am incensed at this whole insane Theater of the Simply Absurd. And in protest, and putting my money where my mouth is, I will never fly again commercially. But my heart goes out to those who must, for whatever reason, continue to fly.

As for those who have no such pressing need but continue to fly, saying, "Well, that's just what we have to put up with," I am asking if, morally, they are not in the same position as those who continue employment with an abusive agency, telling themselves, "Well, that's what we have to put up with."

At some point, is not the obligation upon the customer/employee to say, "I've had enough"?
Ah, then to continue. Are you asking if by flying, then FF are forcing the TSA screeners to commit crimes against the Fourth Amendment? ie, if there were no flyers, there would not be Fourth Amendment violations?

I think again this goes with actions, the FF is not asking the TSA to violate them in order to fly, the FF is told "either you give up some measure of your 4th Amendment rights or you don't fly (and possibly get arrested)". If the FF could fly w/o having to have their 4th amendment rights violated, then I'm sure they would do so and would not seek out a screener and demand them to violate the 4th amendment and search them before flying (also doing so wouldn't be a violation any more since the FF had explicitly asked for the pat-down or scan).

Similar arguments have been made in assault or robbery cases: ie if the victim does not protest or fight back but just willingly goes along with the assault or robbery, then no crime occurred. However, the onus is not on the victim to fight back or protest, but only to survive the assault so that they can fight back via the legal system if they wish. The onus is on the one who commits the assault not to do so in the first place. If you go for a walk and someone threatens you to give up your wallet and you just give it to them, that person still robbed you even though you didn't fight back or try to keep your wallet and that person can still be charged with robbery. The same applies here.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:26 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Well, if a mugger surprises me and tries to take my purse and I give it to him to avoid serious bodily injury, isn't that a little different than my continuing to walk into a known den of thieves?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Well, if a mugger surprises me and tries to take my purse and I give it to him to avoid serious bodily injury, isn't that a little different than my continuing to walk into a known den of thieves?
Not any more than leaving the doors unlocked constitutes a consent for anybody to come in and help themselves to any of your property.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:18 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Good point, PoliceStateSurvivor.

I just can't help feeling that the TSA has hijacked us all.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
An article on WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham, NC about genital groping at RDU.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=7843879

The couple of dozen complaints filed on the airport's website since late October read like a trashy novel with statements like; "they put their ... hands down my underwear," ... "feeling all up his legs including the testicles," ... "hitting up wards in my groin area."
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:42 pm

They don't know if the person is a sheeple and will submit (and maybe even thank them for feeling safe), someone who will say sexually suggestive things about touching genitals, someone who will call them a pervert or otherwise insult them, or someone who will cold-cock them.
In theory this may be true. In practice, I doubt it is realistic. If it is realistic at all, you can say the same about all rapists. But the personality of the rapist doesn't really allow him to dwell on that. If it did, the hesitation would impair him from responding to his impulse to rape. So, for all intents and purposes, there is no "equality". Additionally, there is no MORAL equality. Being a rapist and being a victim can never be morally equal.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:57 pm

Re. the 'flyers made the TSA do it' thing:

I've successfully sued telemarketers a couple times before, for violation of federal and/or CA law (e.g. the TCPA). One defense that they bring up is to say "well, he didn't actively try to stop us, he just kept collecting calls" (when e.g. I present a list of separate incidents each of which has a statutory violation worth ~$1500).

Thing is, some actions are intrinsically illegal. The plaintiff has zero responsibility to prevent the defendant from doing them, even if they could have, if the plaintiff was themselves acting legally. I can dig up the court case cites on this if you want.

It's not quite the same situation, but legal theory wise it's quite similar.

Violation of constitutional rights, and certainly any kind of assault or battery, are such actions. The ONLY major defenses to either are
a) informed consent as far as the defendant reasonably believed
b) committed under explicit legal authority (e.g. cops can commit what's otherwise aggravated assault & battery when making an arrest, IF justified)

So... no, the TSA can't use "they made us do it by flying" as a defense. Nor can they use "they consented" as a defense to a use of power that they didn't have the authority to exercise in the first place, because consent was only obtained under color of law.

... I should probably pick up a JD one of these days. Feh, so many interests, so little lifespan.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Wimpie
An article on WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham, NC about genital groping at RDU.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=7843879
Why are the passengers reporting the incident to the airport web site, and not the TSA? The TSA will now say "we have no record of the incident", which they actually don't. That's been their mantra for all of the newsworthy incidents.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:59 am
Suspended

The civil rights violation complaint form I created for the opt-out grope shows the complaint is going to the ACLU with copies to the TSA and my 2 senators. We've seen TSA only reacts when outside pressure is used. I want TSA to know that records of their actions are being noted and are being made public.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Why are the passengers reporting the incident to the airport web site, and not the TSA?
Round file and/or irrelevant canned response. Going 'public' is far more effective and there's just a chance the airport might actually care.

Nobody with a brain believes the TSA statistics anyway.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Round file and/or irrelevant canned response. Going 'public' is far more effective and there's just a chance the airport might actually care.

Nobody with a brain believes the TSA statistics anyway.
I'm saying do both. IIRC, the TSA complaint page issues a tracking number. Who cares if they do anything about it... showing the media the tracking number indicates you attempted to follow their process. One hurdle at a time...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:56 am

This article is not from TSA. A "travel writer" wrote it (or so it says) but Karin Rubin seems to have drained a full glass of the Koolaid:

TSA has in place procedures to assist people with medical conditions. Security officers are trained to perform the pat downs in a respectful manner, using very specific techniques. When an officer deviates from these techniques, they are provided additional training
Read on.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.