Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre Check Question...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

I filled out info for TSA Pre Check. Question::if one is approved for Pre Check status at what point during the checkin process will I know if I have been selected to qualify for Pre Check for a particular fight? Status is bar coded and not visible to naked eye and one is not always selected to qualify for Pre Check. Any info appreciated.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*

You'll find out if you've been selected at the security checkpoint (Pre Check line). The TSO will scan your barcode and that will let them know whether or not you're eligible.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JimboM1391
You'll find out if you've been selected at the security checkpoint (Pre Check line). The TSO will scan your barcode and that will let them know whether or not you're eligible.
Which why it's generally a sort of gamble.

.... also be aware that TSA may shut down PreCheck for some days/times/flights -- making it a sort of gamble too.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, True Blue, Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, Early Returns, Sky Miles
TSA PRE

Anyone know how to get into TSA Pre through the airlines, I'm 14 and fly a lot and TSA Pre would be really nice. I know that I could sign up on the TSA website, but that costs $100, and I have to go to an interview. Does anyone know how that airlines choose who gets selected, and or how to get invited through the airlines.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Some airlines/hotel/credit card programs provide it free for their highest elite customers but either way you would need to go for an interview...

There are many discussions about TSA Pre-check throughout FT but most are in sub-forums for the specific airline...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ravellers.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pre-check.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...bal-entry.html
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dagrin
Some airlines/hotel/credit card programs provide it free for their highest elite customers but either way you would need to go for an interview...
This is not true. You do not need to go for an interview if you are invited by the airline. The interview is only required by CBP for their program, which also gains you entry into PreCheck.

And it's mid and highest tier elites, not just highest. I got the invitation a week after hitting PLT on AA.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Check the AA PreCheck thread - there is loads of information there on how to decode the bar code and figure out if you're selected for your particular flight.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

United allows anyone to sign up. Just go to their website, log into your Mileage Plus account, and become a member.

American and Delta do it by invitation only, for those who travel at least 25,000 miles a year from what I understand.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
United allows anyone to sign up. Just go to their website, log into your Mileage Plus account, and become a member.

American and Delta do it by invitation only, for those who travel at least 25,000 miles a year from what I understand.
There are two was to become eligible for precheck. Either you are invited by your airline based on frequent flier status or you apply for Global Entry with CBP. Global Entry requires a payment of $100, a background check based on an application which can be denied, an interview which includes additional documentation of legal status, employment, income, etc., a photograph and finger printing. GE has the added benefit of entering the US without the standard CBP inspection using a kiosk and receipt method. This is possible in many us airports but not all.

There are no data to suggest one is better than the other regarding precheck selection on any given day.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lovely15
This is not true. You do not need to go for an interview if you are invited by the airline. The interview is only required by CBP for their program, which also gains you entry into PreCheck.

And it's mid and highest tier elites, not just highest. I got the invitation a week after hitting PLT on AA.
The commenter is referring (although not particularly clearly) to the free Global Entry membership you can get through certain programs.

Bicostal has more comprehensive information.

@ tpallini:
When you say you "fly a lot", what do you mean? Generally, people invited through their airlines are if they are top 1-2 tiers of status. This is usually 50k-100k miles or more. If you're regularly spread out over multiple airlines (as your profile suggests), then you likely won't achieve status on a single airline. As a Platinum with United (75k+ miles), I was not invited. I did get free Global Entry, however, and received eligibility to precheck that way.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Oct 8, 2012 at 8:43 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Bicostal
...or you apply for Global Entry with CBP. Global Entry requires a payment of $100
Actually, it's any CBP initiated Trusted Traveler Program.

That being said, you could also get it for only $50 by having NEXUS like I do. The only caveat is that interview locations are rather restricted (mainly in major US cities near Canada or Canadian airports with USCBP presence) compared to GE as it involves being interviewed by both US and Canadian immigration authorities. On the plus side, you also get GE gratis.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
As this is a how-to type of discussion we'll move this thread to the Practical Issues side of TS/S.

---------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
As this is an informational discussion we'll move this thread to the Practical Issues side of TS/S.

---------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by JimboM1391
Look through the AA thread; there's some evidence that if you scan the barcode and see a "3" in a certain place that you will be eligible for that flight.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Twice through ORD so far (once UA, once AA), registered everywhere, and no joy.

Needless to say, no one at the checkpoint has the slightest clue why or why not one gets this. Frustrating! If hardly anyone gets selected, and it seems like hardly anyone was while I watched the line, why bother devoting resources to it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.