Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA bag inspections / search AFTER travel (Savannah train incident) [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA bag inspections / search AFTER travel (Savannah train incident) [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Thank you, thank you, for posting this. Finally, a real man steps up and lays it out as it is. I'm calling Chief O'Conner and also writing him to show my support and appreciation. This makes my week. Heck, my month....
This is the same man who, in September 2009, said:

"Operation ALERTS will enhance the readiness and communication capabilities of hundreds of police and security officials stationed in some of the heaviest rail passenger areas along the Northeast Corridor," said Amtrak Police Chief John O'Connor. "Our law enforcement partners in this deployment represent first responder agencies that will protect and defend the railways during any type of emergency or potential threat."

This was regarding joint deployment of TSA, Amtrak and local law enforement agencies to the northeast rail corridors.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Glad somebody still has a pair of stones. If only other places could ban TSA from certain operations ^

Way to go Amtrak ^ I'll consider giving you some business!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
This is the same man who, in September 2009, said:

"Operation ALERTS will enhance the readiness and communication capabilities of hundreds of police and security officials stationed in some of the heaviest rail passenger areas along the Northeast Corridor," said Amtrak Police Chief John O'Connor. "Our law enforcement partners in this deployment represent first responder agencies that will protect and defend the railways during any type of emergency or potential threat."

This was regarding joint deployment of TSA, Amtrak and local law enforement agencies to the northeast rail corridors.
want to lay odds on whether he's wishing he knew then what he knows now? back then it seemed like a lot of cool, free stuff.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:10 pm
16A

Amtrak has always impressed me when it's had the chance... Service is pretty good up this way and the Pacific Surfliner is highly recommended if you need to get from BUR to SBA. Best $12 I've spent on a train ride...

Brilliant PR move too - basically separates Amtrak entirely from the Savannah disaster. Bold words and actions get headlines. Hopefully this gets wider pickup.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
want to lay odds on whether he's wishing he knew then what he knows now? back then it seemed like a lot of cool, free stuff.
I think Amtrak Police Chief John O'Connor may have learned the most important lesson about paying the dane-geld - or possibly the aphorism about lying down with the dogs.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I think Amtrak Police Chief John O'Connor may have learned the most important lesson about paying the dane-geld - or possibly the aphorism about lying down with the dogs.
or scr*wing the pooch
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Good Glad to see someone standing up to the goons of the TSA!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Amtrak's interesting quasi-federal, quasi-private status actually gives its various divisions extraordinary power. Its pretty much the perfect entity to take on the TSA.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I called and left a message thanking Chief O'Connor.

Bruce
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
FWIW, the conductors that I've spoken to on my regular Pacific Surfliner commute all think the random ID checks they have to do are pointless and stupid. One of the guys, during the boarding announcement at LAX, says "Don't worry if you are chosen for an ID check, it doesn't mean anything, it's just like winning the lottery, but no prizes are involved". Basically, if the last digit of your ticket number is the randomly chosen number for the day, you need to show ID to the conductor when he takes your ticket.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Basically, if the last digit of your ticket number is the randomly chosen number for the day, you need to show ID to the conductor when he takes your ticket.
What could possibly be the point of this, other than a conditioning exercise?

Is the conductor checking against a no-train-list?

Is Amtrak HQ checking in advance, so that it only matters that the names match while on the train?

Just don't see how, even with TSA Logic, this would add anything at all to security...
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
What could possibly be the point of this, other than a conditioning exercise?

Is the conductor checking against a no-train-list?

Is Amtrak HQ checking in advance, so that it only matters that the names match while on the train?

Just don't see how, even with TSA Logic, this would add anything at all to security...
What happens if you don't have an ID? Do you get thrown off the train? Are LEOs summoned? Or is this just at boarding?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I once told the conductor to go away and bother someone else. He did.

Bruce
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
FWIW, the conductors that I've spoken to on my regular Pacific Surfliner commute all think the random ID checks they have to do are pointless and stupid. One of the guys, during the boarding announcement at LAX, says "Don't worry if you are chosen for an ID check, it doesn't mean anything, it's just like winning the lottery, but no prizes are involved". Basically, if the last digit of your ticket number is the randomly chosen number for the day, you need to show ID to the conductor when he takes your ticket.
I have come to the conclusion that I would have a better chance of winning a state lottery than TSA would have of preventing a terrorist attack. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket, violating my self-imposed restriction on voluntarily paying optional taxes.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Fantastic news indeed! Social media has given the individual extraordinary power, and it's heartening to see how the traveling community has used it to oversee the TSA. This is better than "United Breaks Guitars".

For what it's worth, I did send a letter over to Amtrak and NARP after I heard of this incident. I asked NARP (National Association of Railroad Passengers) about their position on TSA on Amtrak; they declined to respond. Probably too busy lobbying for HSR money. I wrote Amtrak and got a form letter discussing Amtrak's general security practices. For what it's worth, my letter to Amtrak:

Dear Amtrak,

As a traveler who chooses Amtrak as an alternative to TSA hassles at airports, I am troubled by reports of increases in DHS/TSA personnel at stations and airport-style searches conducted at rail stations. On February 13, 2011, a TSA impromptu checkpoint screened passengers DETRAINING at Savannah, GA.

The TSA is already unpopular in the world of frequent flyers, and it's a good assumption that high-revenue rail travelers will find their appearance at Amtrak to be equally unwelcome. Please resist efforts by DHS and TSA to expand their security programs to Amtrak. I have far more faith in the Amtrak Police Department than TSA.

I have dramatically cut back on flying over the past 6 months due to TSA and have shifted more paid travel to Amtrak. I intend to cancel my Acela Express bookings—and encourage my colleagues to do the same—if I encounter TSA on the Northeast Corridor. Please do your best to "push back" against DHS and enhance security through other, more effective means.

Kind regards,
Louse
I am pleased to say that I encountered no TSA on my recent NEC travel; just some Amtrak police conducting effective and minimally-intrusive security aboard the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.