Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA bag inspections / search AFTER travel (Savannah train incident) [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA bag inspections / search AFTER travel (Savannah train incident) [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

This has been mentioned in other threads, but deserves its own. Here is a video from 2/13/11 showing a mother and two young children being searched AFTER they got off the train at the Savannah train depot. From the YouTube poster's account:

The only bad thing on our trip was TSA was at the Savannah train station. There were about 14 agents pulling people inside the building and coralling everyone in a roped area AFTER you got OFF THE TRAIN! This made no sense!!! Poor family in front of us! 9 year old getting patted down and wanded. They groped our people too and were very unprofessional. I am all about security, but when have you ever been harassed and felt up getting OFF a plane? Shouldnt they be doing that getting ON??? And they wonder why so many people are mad at them.
They have no bag X-ray, so while the mother is getting wanded down, and her bra strap felt, and the 9 year-old terrorist and the 11 year year-old terrorist are getting wanded down, and having their arms and legs patted down, two more TSOGOONS are pawing manually through their bags on the table.

I'd sure be curious to hear what the possible justification can be for searching people who are GETTING OFF of a train.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:10 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
There goes my cross-country train trip.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
This has been mentioned in other threads, but deserves its own. Here is a video from 2/13/11 showing a mother and two young children being searched AFTER they got off the train at the Savannah train depot. From the YouTube poster's account:

They have no bag X-ray, so while the mother is getting wanded down, and her bra strap felt, and the 9 year-old terrorist and the 11 year year-old terrorist are getting wanded down, and having their arms and legs patted down, two more TSOGOONS are pawing manually through their bags on the table.

I'd sure be curious to hear what the possible justification can be for searching people who are GETTING OFF of a train.

What could they possibly threaten you with this time? Do you want to walk out of the train station today? If you refuse, do you have to get back on the train? What's the justification? This is beyond stupid. I can't even comprehend..... I would think a LEO would HAVE to be on your side here. This is, just, so...... I honestly can't think of anything......
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lmirante
What could they possibly threaten you with this time? Do you want to walk out of the train station today? If you refuse, do you have to get back on the train? What's the justification? This is beyond stupid. I can't even comprehend..... I would think a LEO would HAVE to be on your side here. This is, just, so...... I honestly can't think of anything......
I honestly don't know. Maybe the $11,000 fine? Being placed on a blacklist?

But maybe no overt threat at all was necessary.

Imagine you are taken completely by surprise, you're there with the children, and everything looks so official. You have to assume you are in custody of some kind and bad things will happen if you leave. So you comply because even if you wanted to try to leave, what if you did? Would you be arrested? Would the children be taken to foster care until you could get out? What if you aren't from that city? Maybe you're afraid you'll get hometowned. All in all, an extremely coercive environment.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: CO
I requested the original YouTube poster submit the video to thedailypatdown.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:53 pm

Seriously, this makes my jaws clench!!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:54 pm
Suspended

I would suggest that all who have Facebook and/or Twitter accounts post both the video in this thread and the story about the AK state representative refusing a pat down to their pages.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by lmirante
Anyone this happens to in Georgia should immediately go to the County Attorney in the applicable county, Chatham County for Savanah and sign a complaint against every participating TSO thug for the criminal offense of a violation of Official Code of Georgia Annotated section 16-5-40 and demand a physical arrest, not a summons. If the prosecutor won't buy a kidnapping charge go for false imprisonment under section 16-5-41(a)Throw the awipes in with Bubba for a real grope. That section defines kidnapping to include taking "away another person without lawful authority or warrant and hold[ing] such other person against his or her will. TSOs are not LEOs and have no such authority. Also, it wouldn't be the first time for Georgia. A TSA thug from the Atlanta airport was accused a couple of months ago of kidnapping and rape. They are all such sweethearts aren't they? Since the offense occurs in your presence, under Ga law you may make a citizens arrest. If the TSO uses or threatens force to detain you, you may kill him/her in self defense. Particularly since you now know that Georgia TSA goons are rapists and kidnappers.

I hope each and every one of those blue-uniformed thugs gets run over by a train. Don't cry for them if they do - tears are for human beings, and these...things...signed away their humanity when they took jobs with the TSA.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Seriously, this makes my jaws clench!!
Me too. I thought I was hardened to these TSA situations, but the sheer unnecessariness and the coercive atmosphere set up by these bullies, on what appears to have been a training exercise ... it's just too much and I have to ask, where will they stop?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by doober
I would suggest that all who have Facebook and/or Twitter accounts post both the video in this thread and the story about the AK state representative refusing a pat down to their pages.
^

And personal travel blogs...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by celticwhisper
I hope each and every one of those blue-uniformed thugs gets run over by a train. Don't cry for them if they do - tears are for human beings, and these...things...signed away their humanity when they took jobs with the TSA.
I understand your anger; this one makes me seethe. But let me respectfully suggest that what is needed is exposure of this and all the other abuses as broadly as possible. This week, TSA hands out a bunch of opportunities:

1. Rampant theft at Newark
2. Rampant theft at JFK
3. Gun goes through Junkatron at DFW.
4. Alaska State Rep. bullied and harassed because of mastectomy.

I blog a lot on Daily Kos, and I'm doing my best to educate my fellow bleeding heart liberals.

Last edited by Cartoon Peril; Feb 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
If the TSO uses or threatens force to detain you, you may kill him/her in self defense. Particularly since you now know that Georgia TSA goons are rapists and kidnappers.
I must respectfully but frankly say that this comment does not help in the struggle.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
I honestly don't know. Maybe the $11,000 fine? Being placed on a blacklist?
There's no mention of Rep. Cissna being threatened with a fine for refusing the pat down and leaving the airport.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the basis? How is it not kidnapping?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.