Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Shangri-La Hotels: The NEW Golden Circle Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shangri-La Hotels: The NEW Golden Circle Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: QF, Golden Circle, Marriott Rewards
Has anyone actually received a mail out or any new collateral for the changed program? I have to say it seems surprising to have such significant changes without anything at all in the mail.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:06 am
JRK
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FortuneofWar
Has anyone actually received a mail out or any new collateral for the changed program? I have to say it seems surprising to have such significant changes without anything at all in the mail.
Yes, got my new package in last week. "Welcome" letter, new card, new luggage tags (nicer than the old ones) and a little booklet. The booklet also spells out the redemption categories and has a T&C leaflet included. Maybe yours is still "en-route"?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: PC Platinum, MPC Silver, Golden Circle Gold
Hi there,

I have an upcoming business trip in Taipei fr 15-20 Nov and intend to stay at Shangri-La Taipei.
Do you know how I can go about getting cheaper rate than what is listed on the website ?
Any help is greatly appreciated from anyone or if anyone is able to provide with with corp rate code for any company having corp rate with Shangri-La Taipei is also much appreciated
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:35 am

....got it today.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
NEW GC mail

I live in the US, & just did get the new card 'Jade' with all the membership information today. I like the card style & the neat green luggage tags. romm on the tag to handwrite in my US cell & china mobile #'s.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:38 pm

Posting this from the traders club lounge at Traders KL. I was approached to join the program upon arrival and the young lady handling my check in DID credit both my new temporary GC card and my SAS Eurobonus card. I'm not sure if this was a mistake but I'm not about to bring attention to it.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Take this as YMMV report, but I recently booked my first stay after the new rules @ TPE where I have 85 nights this year so far. Most of the time I get a very good corporate rate for the lowest level room and they'll upgrade me two levels to the executive room when I email them and ask. This time, they said because of the new rules they can only upgrade one level and if I wanted to get my usual room at my current rate I'd need to up it to deluxe. The difference was like 30 dollars so I just did it, but I was a little miffed the "play by the new rules" line.

When you are going to close the year at 100 nights in a single property they ought to throw the rules out, especially when they've been bumping two levels no questions asked the entire year. I'm going probably switch to starwood next year as if I wanted that type of program I would have switched already.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by squall1
When you are going to close the year at 100 nights in a single property they ought to throw the rules out, especially when they've been bumping two levels no questions asked the entire year. I'm going probably switch to starwood next year as if I wanted that type of program I would have switched already.
That's a very conterproductive practise. This kind of inflexibility for a customer that spends a 1/4 of his year at their property is baffling.

IT's a shame really since Shangri-La otherwise are better managed and kept than Starwood hotels in the same price-range/category.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:38 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MagicWok
The partner stay free has gone, as has the suite upgrade from $39 that I personally found very useful personally - having used it several times!
Indeed, there seems to be no way anymore to buy up to a suite for less money. I guess this will be reserved for points upgrades only.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
That's a very conterproductive practise. This kind of inflexibility for a customer that spends a 1/4 of his year at their property is baffling.

IT's a shame really since Shangri-La otherwise are better managed and kept than Starwood hotels in the same price-range/category.

Yeah, I could probably email the GM and get it set back, but I'm tired of asking for stuff. I'm three years Elite based almost entirely on this one property and I shouldn't have to ask. One of my stay's this summer I needed to extend my trip, they were booked except for the Plaza Suite and basically wanted to charge me 200% over the rate I was currently staying at. I offered to keep my exec room at my current rate and they could give the Plaza Suite to someone else coming in. They wouldn't do it, so I was forced to find a new hotel. I was blown away and angry but for some reason continued to stay there.

Again, they don't have to upgrade me at all prior to my arrival, and certainly not two room levels above, so I get it. BUT, they were doing that since I became elite and in my mind, with the exception of the extension fiasco, were really living up to the ad campaign. Not anymore it seems. I used to feel pretty special staying there, oh well good things always come to an end I suppose.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:34 am

Thumbs down The NEW GC sucks

Hi, I usually stay with Marriott when I´m in Asia, so I just spend around one week in Shangri-La´s resorts, mostly in the Philippines. As a result, I was "just" a classic member before.

Now the NEW GC program is virtually downgrading me, taking away
- Partner stays free in the same room and enjoys applicable complimentary breakfast benefit
- 50% discount on Buffet Breakfast
- upgrade option, etc.

At the same time, they are talking about "indulging yourself with the generosity of golden circle" and a "new experience". What a joke!!! THAT SUCKS.
So far that is my first experience of being downgraded, i still can´t believe it.

Did anybody got downgraded in other programs yet? Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:18 am
JRK
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
Looks like the list of properties for each category is online now.

http://www.shangri-la.com/uploadedFi...0PDF%20eng.pdf

Any thoughts on what that means for the earn/burn rate?

Do we agree on the classification of the properties?

One that is misplaced imO is Hangzhou (Cat. C). I recently stayed there and would certainly not rate it better than say Boutou (Cat A). Besides, they plan to do major renovations there to upgrade it.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by JRK
Looks like the list of properties for each category is online now.

http://www.shangri-la.com/uploadedFi...0PDF%20eng.pdf

Any thoughts on what that means for the earn/burn rate?

Do we agree on the classification of the properties?

One that is misplaced imO is Hangzhou (Cat. C). I recently stayed there and would certainly not rate it better than say Boutou (Cat A). Besides, they plan to do major renovations there to upgrade it.
For the property I stay at most it equates to 20 nights to earn a free night...not terribly attractive!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:44 am

I just got a points statement from GC by mail. I have previosuly been unable to tie my GC # to an onlien profile so this is the first time I've seen my earnings with them. Turns out I've been granted 500 points for a 5 day stay(!) What's going on here, and why should anyone bother with this program??
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:11 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MagicWok
Boy have they really stripped it back on the features for the lowest tier.

The partner stay free has gone, as has the suite upgrade from $39 that I personally found very useful personally - having used it several times!

Oh well... Another cost-cutting across all the membership programs... Infact, never has a 'Gold' level membership been so bad! haha
For me these are the two biggest losses too.

Again packed in marketing bla bla "the new GC - even better" or something like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.