Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Airlines: the worst of Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Airlines: the worst of Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
The problem with DY long haul is that when it goes wrong (and it does quite a few times) it goes very wrong indeed. Sit in airports for days - on your own dime. And then you have to bring them court to get them to cough up the money that is rightfully yours.
Or you could just use the travel insurance that you SHOULD have, and claim back your out-of-pocket expenses arising from making your arrangements from them; and let them take it up with the airline. @:-)
Old May 6, 2016, 12:08 pm

Norwegian Air Shuttle - the worst?

I was excited and full of anticipation before boarding a Norwegian plane to Norway from LAX. I downloaded their app to monitor the booking status and for the convenience of paperless boarding pass. I was also impressed with the images and the advertised features of on-board features.

But all that was a great disappointment. First, the in-app boarding pass feature did not work. I was later told by Norwegian representative at LAX that the in-app boarding pass feature would NOT work in the US! That's after going a bit of a hassle at the checkpoint. Second, it's turned out that Norwegian does NOT have ANY employees of its own outside of Oslo airport. That means all services provided by Norwegian are handled by contractors, who more often than not, do not give [moderator edit] about the customers. Thirdly, the so-called advanced on-board features they advertised turned out to be purely gimmicks! I flew "premium class" (there's only two classes: "premium" and "coach" - no first-class). But the service was more then disappointing. The foods were worse than terrible. The crew members (FA) were mostly - if not all - from Thailand. In domestic flights (in Norway), Norwegian tend to operate erratically, again because they're all done by 'contractors'. In some small cities, they close the gates earlier than scheduled because they use minimum number of ground crew to tend the gate. And these guys close the gate early to go home, especially on Fridays and weekends!

Customer service at Norwegian Air Shuttle is virtually NONE! They never respond to email correspondence (only automated senseless reply) by a real person. Phone contacts never get returned. Staff at Oslo airport were completely useless, rude, unprofessional, and robot-like, brain-dead, souless zombies.

I found Norwegian fares to be competitive but based on my personal experience, I would NEVER want to spend a single penny on this so-called "air shuttle", which has pretty much destroyed the national image of small country without another major airline service.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 6, 2016 at 2:23 pm Reason: Per FT. Rule 12 - language.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Second, it's turned out that Norwegian does NOT have ANY employees of its own outside of Oslo airport.
Most airlines use contractors at outstations.

Thirdly, the so-called advanced on-board features they advertised turned out to be purely gimmicks!
Like what?

no first-class
It's an LCC, and they advertise it as such.

The crew members (FA) were mostly - if not all - from Thailand.
Yes, that's well-known. How is that a bad thing?

In domestic flights (in Norway), Norwegian tend to operate erratically, again because they're all done by 'contractors'.
In Europe, most ground handling is handled by outside companies, not by airlines per EU regs.

In some small cities, they close the gates earlier than scheduled because they use minimum number of ground crew to tend the gate. And these guys close the gate early to go home, especially on Fridays and weekends!
Any data to back that up?

destroyed the national image of small country without another major airline service.
SAS is the country's flag carrier. Norwegian Air Shuttle is an LCC, and not a flag carrier.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're complaining about.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
...Sorry, I don't really understand what you're complaining about.
Well, OP started a thread that, (s)he thought, would fit a habit shared by many FTers, namely find first world problems to "loudly" complain about. Letting steam out often helps reduce one's blood pressure although, granted, it gets on the nerves of others thus having an adverse effect on many more. Best reaction, therefore, would be to simply ignore this kind of posts...

Last edited by KLouis; May 7, 2016 at 8:21 am
Old May 6, 2016, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

In Europe, most ground handling is handled by outside companies, not by airlines per EU regs.
That has nothing to do with EU regulations. The EU does not interfere in what company is delivering the service. It is the (often consultancy driven) principle that outsourcing saves money, and delivers the same service level.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jetdreamer
The crew members (FA) were mostly - if not all - from Thailand.
I think many of us would consider this at worst neutral, and in many ways a plus.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That has nothing to do with EU regulations. The EU does not interfere in what company is delivering the service. It is the (often consultancy driven) principle that outsourcing saves money, and delivers the same service level.
In the US, many airlines do their own ground handling without setting up a separate entity. This is not allowed in the EU. If an airline wants to do its own ground handling, it has to set up a separate company, and the airport has to allow it in.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
In the US, many airlines do their own grono und handling without setting up a separate entity. This is not allowed in the EU. If an airline wants to do its own ground handling, it has to set up a separate company, and the airport has to allow it in.
It just says there needs to be competition, and as part of that the airlines practically speaking do need an internal entity to operate their own ground handling. In effect those are still employees of the airline, just in a 100% owned subsidiary.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the US, many airlines do their own ground handling without setting up a separate entity. This is not allowed in the EU. If an airline wants to do its own ground handling, it has to set up a separate company, and the airport has to allow it in.
No, that is not correct. An airline can self-handle if it wants. What the reg was about was to prevent a single company (usually this would have been either one associated with the airport owner or with the dominant airline) from having a monopoly over ground handling at a given airport.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It just says there needs to be competition, and as part of that the airlines practically speaking do need an internal entity to operate their own ground handling.
They need a separate entity only if they provide ground-handling services to others. If they just self-handle, they do not need to.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
They need a separate entity only if they provide ground-handling services to others. If they just self-handle, they do not need to.
True. However the most likely scenario is that they will not only self handle. And hence "in effect" need an internal entity. But strictly speaking, very true they could just have staff from the main company do the handling.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: One World
Curious

I noted that some of the Norwegian Airlines aircraft have IRISH registration numbers. This is not my imagination either! What is that about?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Dear OP or Dear Mr Cruz,

These tactics will not work.

Ta Ta For Now
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by rieffan
I noted that some of the Norwegian Airlines aircraft have IRISH registration numbers. This is not my imagination either! What is that about?
Registered in Ireland for various routing and financial advantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.