Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Airlines: the worst of Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Airlines: the worst of Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by rieffan
I noted that some of the Norwegian Airlines aircraft have IRISH registration numbers. This is not my imagination either! What is that about?
Most of DY's 788s are leased from leasing companies. Many leasing companies (not just those that lease to DY) register in IE for tax benefits.

all 788s are actually NO-registered, while 789s are registered in IE. Some of the 788s were originally leased from ILFC and had Irish tail numbers, but then ILFC was acquired by AerCap, and some of these leases were re-done.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I have made good experiences with DY. It is a low cost carrier - you get what you pay for, but the product is ok and comparable to other European legacy carriers nowadays. And the internet is free and the best I have seen on European flights.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
DY also has an AOC in Ireland, which gives them the liberty to (mis)use more linient EU employment and tax laws. The lease has nothing to do with the tail number/flag of the aircraft. ILFC and Aercap lease all over the world and the flag on the tail is usually linked to the AOC of the operating carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.