Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Looking for feedback. I've looked at JetSmarter a few times, but my biggest issue is that many of the perks, such as shuttle flights, are no where around the DC metro. Until they expand more in this area I just don't see the fee being worth it.

I also noticed for July the Smart membership fee is $9990 and access is $3990 with an additional $1k off. If I recall the non-discounted membership fee is $12-15k. Do they run promos like this often?
Shuttles were tested for IAD? Last year and the volume was not there. I see lots of empty legs from BWI and IAD up and down the corridor. As for promos - they do run promos often but not sure how regular they are. Give them a call and discuss - I have been a member since 2014 and there have been and continue to be massive improvements. As you can tell I am a big fan -- because the service and experience has been very positive
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KurtR
Shuttles were tested for IAD? Last year and the volume was not there. I see lots of empty legs from BWI and IAD up and down the corridor.
NYC-WAS is #1 general aviation corridor, i guess demand not there for shared, and presumably many owner operated

comfort probably a lot bigger deal on longer transcon flights NY-CA etc, although would compete with flagship F/J

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 22, 2016 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Looking for feedback. I've looked at JetSmarter a few times, but my biggest issue is that many of the perks, such as shuttle flights, are no where around the DC metro. Until they expand more in this area I just don't see the fee being worth it.

I also noticed for July the Smart membership fee is $9990 and access is $3990 with an additional $1k off. If I recall the non-discounted membership fee is $12-15k. Do they run promos like this often?

I recently signed up for access at $3990k and had the $1.9k initiation fee waived. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with the right person. (Though this may be a publicly available deal now?)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hi All,

Does anyone know for the JetDeals empty legs if there is a penalty if your companion doesn't take the flight? So if I book two seats, but only I, the member, show, does that count as a no-show? I seem to remember reading somewhere it wasn't, and that it was ok. Just want some clarification, or peoples experiences.

Cheers!

Acrbag
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Acrbag
Hi All,

Does anyone know for the JetDeals empty legs if there is a penalty if your companion doesn't take the flight? So if I book two seats, but only I, the member, show, does that count as a no-show? I seem to remember reading somewhere it wasn't, and that it was ok. Just want some clarification, or peoples experiences.

Cheers!

Acrbag
Whenever I book a JetDeal, I book as many free seats as I'm allowed to book and I figure out who's going to join me on the trip afterwards. There are times when I book 3 seats and I am the only one who shows up.

Also, there has been times in the past when I book 3 seats and I only show up with one other person and the pilots are fine with it.

Formally, I don't believe it counts as a no show. If no one shows up, then it counts as a no-show.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by imperialg
Whenever I book a JetDeal, I book as many free seats as I'm allowed to book and I figure out who's going to join me on the trip afterwards. There are times when I book 3 seats and I am the only one who shows up.

Also, there has been times in the past when I book 3 seats and I only show up with one other person and the pilots are fine with it.

Formally, I don't believe it counts as a no show. If no one shows up, then it counts as a no-show.
It's a pretty dick move to intentionally no-show on extra seats (especially if you're not at least making an effort to cancel ahead of time). I appreciate the generous policy for the rare occasion when a friend flakes, but if people are abusing the policy it will go away ... and I hope it does go away if this attitude is common.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sykes
It's a pretty dick move to intentionally no-show on extra seats. I appreciate the generous policy for the occasion when a friend flakes, but if people are abusing the policy it will go away ... and I hope it does if this attitude is common.
Totally disagree. I joined when I got the whole plane so IMO, I wasn't getting what I paid for after the move to shared legs. After the change, I had no problems or guilty feelings about booking my entire allotment of seats for the extra room or taking up our entire allotment and then buying out the rest of the plane. JS apparently had no problem with this as I discussed it with my (former) rep after I was upset about the move from private to shared legs. The policy is (or at least was a few months ago before I declined to renew) that as long as the member shows up, it doesn't matter if other names you give them no show. IME, the flight crew doesn't care.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:57 pm

Of course the flight crew doesn't care. Most of them would rather be flying an empty plane, so one fewer person is a bonus to them.

Seats on empty legs are a shared resource that is going to become increasingly scarce as Jet Smarter increases its membership. Many deals now last less than an hour in the app. While I appreciate that the benefits have changed over time and not everyone is getting what they signed up for, it's lame when seats go out empty if there is another member that missed out because of it.

Last edited by Sykes; Jul 22, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sykes, not all members want to share, so some wouldnt care if booked

and shuttles are (larger) minimum size, in terms of sharing cabin space

seem to recall there was mention of new cancellation fee for shuttles
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Totally disagree. I joined when I got the whole plane so IMO, I wasn't getting what I paid for after the move to shared legs. After the change, I had no problems or guilty feelings about booking my entire allotment of seats for the extra room or taking up our entire allotment and then buying out the rest of the plane. JS apparently had no problem with this as I discussed it with my (former) rep after I was upset about the move from private to shared legs. The policy is (or at least was a few months ago before I declined to renew) that as long as the member shows up, it doesn't matter if other names you give them no show. IME, the flight crew doesn't care.
Agreed-- same here!

When they made the change, this is what they communicated to all members:
"We're hooking you up. Each and every member gets three (3) free seats, regardless of whether three people actually fly, it's up to you if you want to fill your two extra seats or not. And if you prefer flying solo with the entire aircraft all to yourself, you can simply purchase the other seats for next to nothing."
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by imperialg
Agreed-- same here!

When they made the change, this is what they communicated to all members:
"We're hooking you up. Each and every member gets three (3) free seats, regardless of whether three people actually fly, it's up to you if you want to fill your two extra seats or not. And if you prefer flying solo with the entire aircraft all to yourself, you can simply purchase the other seats for next to nothing."
Hah, fair enough. I'll go back to quietly sulking in a corner about occasionally missing out on flights.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
Hah, fair enough. I'll go back to quietly sulking in a corner about occasionally missing out on flights.
theyre trying to be different things to different people, will get interesting..
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
theyre trying to be different things to different people, will get interesting..
I thoroughly enjoy the networking aspect of the membership. For me personally, using JSM is better than networking on Southwest... I communicate with the JSM Message app on exactly what seats I need and or will use.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by KurtR
I thoroughly enjoy the networking aspect of the membership. For me personally, using JSM is better than networking on Southwest... I communicate with the JSM Message app on exactly what seats I need and or will use.
Agreed, I've met some great people on JS flights.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:18 pm

So...looks like they've eliminated the "sophisticated" tier. Surely to be replaced with another version any moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.