Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG

Who would be the next oneworld member?
There have been plenty of airlines wanting to join SkyTeam & Star Aliiance but not too many for oneworld.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>accordi ng to wiki:
Possible future members
oneworld has expressed its desire to recruit new member airlines while several airlines have expressed their intention to join the alliance.

China Eastern Airlines - The airline has been courted by oneworld and currently codeshares with American Airlines, British Airways and Japan Airlines. However, Air France and China Southern Airlines are lobbying at the airline to join SkyTeam. And the Chinese government is considering a merger with Shanghai Airlines, which is already a member of Star Alliance.

Grand China Airlines - The airline was previously known as Hainan Airlines has expressed interest in joining Oneworld[15] and has codeshare agreements with Japan Airlines and Malév Hungarian Airlines.

S7 Airlines - The airline was in negotiations with British Airways in 2007 to possibly join the alliance in the near future.

Vietnam Airlines - Current member Japan Airlines has expressed a desire to sponsor Vietnam Airlines for a membership to expand the oneworld network in Southeast Asia. The airline currently codeshares with American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Qantas. However, the airline is said to also have discussions about the possibility of joining SkyTeam.

WestJet Airlines - On November 4, 2008, WestJet agreed with the oneworld alliance to tailor joint corporate agreements and discounts for Canada-based companies. Seven oneworld members are working with WestJet on the corporate-specific offering, the carriers said.

My money is on MU, VN i.e asian members

> Please post suggestions in this thread!

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 5, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
And of course QF is buying MH.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I seriously wish for the day AS would stop dating everyone and marry into oneworld as a secondary US airline to cover the West Coast of the US. Great coverage out of all the secondary airport in LA to the the Pacific Northwest (PDX and SEA), and direct non-stop flight LAX-YVR ^
amanaplan likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by soorox
Who would be the next oneworld member?
There have been plenty of airlines wanting to join SkyTeam & Star Aliiance but not too many for oneworld.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>accordi ng to wiki:
Possible future members
oneworld has expressed its desire to recruit new member airlines while several airlines have expressed their intention to join the alliance.

China Eastern Airlines - The airline has been courted by oneworld and currently codeshares with American Airlines, British Airways and Japan Airlines. However, Air France and China Southern Airlines are lobbying at the airline to join SkyTeam. And the Chinese government is considering a merger with Shanghai Airlines, which is already a member of Star Alliance.

Grand China Airlines - The airline was previously known as Hainan Airlines has expressed interest in joining Oneworld[15] and has codeshare agreements with Japan Airlines and Malév Hungarian Airlines.

S7 Airlines - The airline was in negotiations with British Airways in 2007 to possibly join the alliance in the near future.

Vietnam Airlines - Current member Japan Airlines has expressed a desire to sponsor Vietnam Airlines for a membership to expand the oneworld network in Southeast Asia. The airline currently codeshares with American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Qantas. However, the airline is said to also have discussions about the possibility of joining SkyTeam.

WestJet Airlines - On November 4, 2008, WestJet agreed with the oneworld alliance to tailor joint corporate agreements and discounts for Canada-based companies. Seven oneworld members are working with WestJet on the corporate-specific offering, the carriers said.

My money is on MU, VN i.e asian members

> Please post suggestions in this thread!
I dont think the chance for another asian airline joining would be high, since oneworld already have CX, JL and Qantas which covers a large area of E. Asia. I mean..if they do want asian airlines, wouldnt Phillipine or Garuda have higher chance? They can open up their domestic market up with links to other.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by kebosabi
I seriously wish for the day AS would stop dating everyone and marry into oneworld
AA has tried for years to bring AS in, but AS likes the feed it gets from DL and claims to be getting all the advantages of an alliance from its bilaterals. Given that AA gives EQM for AS flights (not just AA codeshare on AS), about the only impact of AS joining OW is the ability to use it for OWE routing. And how much revenue will AS get each your from all those SEA-ANC and ORD-ANC segments? Probably wind up losing money from joining. EI quit Oneworld because of the several million euro cost to update its IT systems to handle JL joining OW (and they expected to interline about 1000 JL pax per year, or about 3 per day). And that was for an existing OW member! AS faces huge costs for integration into OW if it decides to join.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6
And of course QF is buying MH.
Are you serious? MH has an agreement with SkyTeam's KLM. Do you think CX and JAL would allow MH to join OW?

Rgs,
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Er, I believe Mexicana are going to be the next to join oneworld, as has been reported previously.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=14804

Or are we hypothesizing as to the next one after MX? If that's the case, then I think VN could be a welcome addition in SE Asia, but an African partner, such as Ethiopian might help fill some gaps. I also wonder what Etihad and Qatar are up to, and whether they will both continue the 'go it alone' strategy that Emirates has adopted, rather than joining one of the big three alliances.

The thing about OW is that they seem quite selective as to who they accept as new members, preferring to find new partners who complement the existing alliance, as opposed to Star which appears to be happy to take anything it can get it's hands on and hope that the toes of the existing partners aren't treaded on too much.

Last edited by inasmuchas; Jan 12, 2009 at 4:23 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:30 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by hardiwv
Are you serious? MH has an agreement with SkyTeam's KLM. Do you think CX and JAL would allow MH to join OW?

Rgs,
I guess you aren't up to speed about QF. And I said MH is being bought by QF (not MH joining Oneworld). It was of course a tongue in cheek suggestion but based on real world reports of talks between MH and QF (concurrent with the BA/QF merger talks). Poison pill, indeed. QF and MH have a long (and bitter) history. Explaining humour always spoils it, somehow.

But the real speculation is whether Oneworld will exist 2 years from now, not whether it is being joined by any of the crumbs that have fallen between alliances. Lots of strain on OW right now.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
IIRC Ethiopian is a future *A member, not OW.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I guess you aren't up to speed about QF. And I said MH is being bought by QF (not MH joining Oneworld). It was of course a tongue in cheek suggestion but based on real world reports of talks between MH and QF (concurrent with the BA/QF merger talks). Poison pill, indeed. QF and MH have a long (and bitter) history. Explaining humour always spoils it, somehow.

But the real speculation is whether Oneworld will exist 2 years from now, not whether it is being joined by any of the crumbs that have fallen between alliances. Lots of strain on OW right now.
I tend to be a bit more oppotunistic. With the way *A and ST are expanding rapidly going and losing money, OW is the only alliance that actually has a strong centralized cooperation between each of its members.

My take is that *A and ST will get too big to handle and we'll start to see some of their members back out of that alliance and come into OW. We already saw that happen with MX; a former *A member, now ready to join OW.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

I'm curious--what makes you say that?

I tend to be a bit more oppotunistic. With the way *A and ST are expanding rapidly going and losing money, OW is the only alliance that actually has a strong centralized cooperation between each of its members.

My take is that *A and ST will get too big to handle and we'll start to see some of their members back out of that alliance and come into OW. We already saw that happen with MX; a former *A member, now ready to join OW.
Well, with CO joining *A, maybe US will drop out and join OW?

Seriously, I agree that *A is getting bigger and bigger, but what airline would you see leaving it and joining OW? SQ strikes me as being a potential *A drop-out as it's only halfheartedly in *A anyway, but I would think that it would be too much competition with CX and QF.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:48 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm curious--what makes you say that?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-breakup.html
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:12 am

OTOH, I do agree that OW is lagging behind recruiting the major key-players of the 21st century, notably flag carriers of BRICs nations and one major carrier in Africa. Holes in the growing economies of SE Asia are also shouldn't be overlooked.

Brazil: Gol Transportes Aéreos
AA offers numerous options exist to get to Brazil and LAN and its subsidiaries provide excellent service within S. America, but gaining intra-Brazil flights would be better.

Russia: S7 Airlines
Intra-Russia and Central Asia flights would be a great addition to OW, especially considering the huge potential for foreign business attractions to those natural resource rich areas in Central Asia.

India: Jet Airways
Intra-India and South Asia gaps

China: China Eastern
Competition from ST heavy, but MU would be add lots of intra-Chinese coverage from their mainland Chinese hub of PVG, which already has AA, BA, CX, JL and QF flights to there. ^

SE Asia: Vietnam Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, or Philippine Airlines.

Africa - Ethiopian Airlines

honorable mentions
West Coast of US: Alaska Airlines
Canada: WestJet
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:54 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I agree that it seems MX will be the next airline to join OW. Regarding QF buying MH, considering MHlinks with the Malaysian government, I am yet to see how this deal could ever materialise.

OTOH, I do agree that OW is lagging behind recruiting the major key-players of the 21st century, notably flag carriers of BRICs nations and one major carrier in Africa.

Brazil: Gol Transportes Aéreos
AA offers numerous options exist to get to Brazil and LAN and its subsidiaries provide excellent service within S. America, but gaining intra-Brazil flights would be better.
OW biggest hole is in Africa. ST has Kenya Airways (KQ), while *A counts on SAA and now Ethiopian Airlines (ET). ET has a codeshare with LH and will soon join *A. This means there are not many options left for OW in Africa.

In Brazil, TAM (the biggest airline in Latin America) will join *A in 2009. This has been formally announced in a big event in São Paulo last year. GOL could be an option to access the important Brazilian market considering GRU is the hub with the most OW players in the region: AA (MIA, DFW, JFK), LA (SCL, LIM, EZE), BA (LHR, EZE), JAL (NRT, JFK), IB (MAD). But I am sure ST is also after GOL.

Rgs,
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
OTOH, I do agree that OW is lagging behind recruiting the major key-players of the 21st century, notably flag carriers of BRICs nations and one major carrier in Africa. Holes in the growing economies of SE Asia are also shouldn't be overlooked.

Africa - Ethiopian Airlines
anything is possible , but at the moment ET has codeshares with current Star members LH , BD and SA as well as future Star member SN while as far as I know they have no relationship at all with any OW airlines - they would seem an unlikely prospect for OW in the near term

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.