FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:37 pm
JALlover

Originally Posted by soorox
Who would be the next oneworld member?
There have been plenty of airlines wanting to join SkyTeam & Star Aliiance but not too many for oneworld.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>accordi ng to wiki:
Possible future members
oneworld has expressed its desire to recruit new member airlines while several airlines have expressed their intention to join the alliance.

China Eastern Airlines - The airline has been courted by oneworld and currently codeshares with American Airlines, British Airways and Japan Airlines. However, Air France and China Southern Airlines are lobbying at the airline to join SkyTeam. And the Chinese government is considering a merger with Shanghai Airlines, which is already a member of Star Alliance.

Grand China Airlines - The airline was previously known as Hainan Airlines has expressed interest in joining Oneworld[15] and has codeshare agreements with Japan Airlines and Malév Hungarian Airlines.

S7 Airlines - The airline was in negotiations with British Airways in 2007 to possibly join the alliance in the near future.

Vietnam Airlines - Current member Japan Airlines has expressed a desire to sponsor Vietnam Airlines for a membership to expand the oneworld network in Southeast Asia. The airline currently codeshares with American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Qantas. However, the airline is said to also have discussions about the possibility of joining SkyTeam.

WestJet Airlines - On November 4, 2008, WestJet agreed with the oneworld alliance to tailor joint corporate agreements and discounts for Canada-based companies. Seven oneworld members are working with WestJet on the corporate-specific offering, the carriers said.

My money is on MU, VN i.e asian members

> Please post suggestions in this thread!
I dont think the chance for another asian airline joining would be high, since oneworld already have CX, JL and Qantas which covers a large area of E. Asia. I mean..if they do want asian airlines, wouldnt Phillipine or Garuda have higher chance? They can open up their domestic market up with links to other.