Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Visit North America, Visit USA, or just book seperate flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver

Hello together,

I will be flying to the US for a few weeks in March/April, flying into BOS, and not sure yet from where I will return. I will also do a few one-way flights within the USA, and was wondering whether there are better ways of doing that than booking them all separately, so I had a look at OWs Visit North America Pass, and somewhere in the forum also read about something called a Visit USA Pass. (I hope the latter fits into this forum, if not I am happy to split the question off and ask it again in the AA forum.)

I have a few questions regarding each of those ticket types. First of all, the Visit North America Pass:

1. The most current document I could find is this one, dating back 2.5 years:
https://www.aa.com.br/content/images...df/S1VISIT.pdf
Is there anything more current or does anybody know the current pricing? Also, does anybody have a rough idea how high the taxes would be that come on top of it?
2. This one might be a really stupid one, and I apologise: I first assumed the prices are for the total distance flown, but after some reading I am now assuming you pay per flight, though this is not all clear from the fare description in my opinion.

If the answer to number 2 is yes, you pay per flight, it is certainly more sensible that way, given that otherwise once you exceed 2500 miles you can just go crazy and go wherever you want without extra costs. But if these prices are per flight, than I dont really see much value in the Visit North America Pass as a whole... or am I missing the point?

It certainly then doesnt look like a particularly good deal for me. So I looked into the Visit USA fare, where I found out that you buy coupons which can be used for separate sectors. Information for the Visit USA fare seems to be even harder to find, which is reflected by my first question:

1. Does this fare still exist?
2. If so, where can I book it/find out prices? There is no information whatsoever on the AA website.
3. If I have a connecting flight, (my first flight in the US is fixed and will be BOS-TYS, which only exists as a connecting flight), would this cost me one voucher or two?
4. Does anybody maybe have a rough idea what these tickets cost?

I know its a lot of questions at once, and Im grateful for everybody who can answer me even just one of the many.

Thanks a lot,
Sebastian
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:15 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
A member posted updated fares off a GDS a few months ago here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21379924-post6.html (Note you'll have to parse the numbers into the zone/fare class. The low number is for "S" bucket tickets and the higher number for "V.")

To my eye after a quick glance, I'd be surprised if you couldn't do better - often MUCH better, just buying the tickets as you go. Maybe there are some exceptions here and there, but for the most part I didn't see any screaming bargains.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat

Another option to consider, if the timing of your trip works when the program is offered, is Jet Blue's month of travel program (I believe it's month) which offers unlimited travel for one set fee. If I recall correctly, it was mostly in the fall. There had to be availability of flights. Thereby have been other conditions.

Jet Blue has good flight options and a variety of good destinations. It's among the most comfortable to fly.

It might to a god option depending on it's availability and your timing.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver
Thank you for the info! Your link, Gardyloo, is for the Visit North America ticket only, correct? Even though I don't know much about fare classes (I'm happy that by now I recognise Y, J and F when somebody uses that), a look at the prices tells me that indeed booking seperate flights would be (much) cheaper, so S and V seem to be rather highly priced Economy tickets. I guess it really only pays off if you need to be really flexible on short notice, which I don't.

jacknyoc, I'll make a note of the Jet Blue month of travel, but indeed it seems to happen in September whenever it happens (and information on it that is not 4 or 5 years old is sparse as far as I can tell). So no good for March/April unfortunately, thank you for the suggestion though!

Regarding the Visit USA ticket, does anybody know more, or would I potentially be better off to ask for that in the seperate airline subforums (unless that would be considered a double-posting, of course)?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:30 pm

Hello, am looking at this pass as I plan to fly to mexico and nearby cities. A return tickets would cost minimum 500usd while a visit America pass about 400usd.would that be worth it?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Does anyone have access to the GDS for up-to-date pricing on this pass? Thanks in advance
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by shuuy
Does anyone have access to the GDS for up-to-date pricing on this pass? Thanks in advance
At least on Sabre, one now must specify routing to get the price. However, Cathay Pacific gives the following information to TAs:

Mileage Block - AA/QF/CX Adult S1Visit USD Adult S1Visit CAD Adult V1Visit USD Adult V1Visit CAD
001-310 129 161 173 216
311-550 180 226 244 305
551-975 211 264 284 355
976-1750 264 330 356 445
1751-2000 309 386 417 521
2001-above 386 483 521 651
Sorry it will be a bit hard to read. All travel must be completed by 31MAR2018.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Formatted a little easier using "[ CODE ]"

Code:
AA/QF/CX	S-USD	S-CAD	V-USD	V-CAD
001-310		129	161	173	216
311-550		180	226	244	305
551-975		211	264	284	355
976-1750	264	330	356	445
1751-2000	309	386	417	521
2001-above	386	483	521	651

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.