Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC9 - throw it in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:05 pm

9 years, that must be a record! Of course since it had to do with NW I had to read it.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Wow, just coming back to the NWA forum to reminisce and there is a thread I started in 2002 still active! I actually remember posting this question...
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:46 am

I remember Eastern using the thrust reverse starting in the late 1980's. I don't recall seeing the procedure in the 1960s, 1970s, or early 1980s, but at one point it was a very common procedure.

The first time I was on a DC-9 where the procedure was being used I wondered what in the heck was going on.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
So -- now that we have this (interesting) thread open again..

Does DL do powerbacks?

I'm riding a '9 in a few days -- seems like a fun trick. I guess it's not that I'd have to pay attention to notice -- I'm sure everyone on board would notice those JT-8's screaming.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
My most interesting experience with a powerback took place in Asheville, North Carolina on a US Airways flight several years ago. After we had left the gate, the pilot starting taxiing down the wrong (very narrow) taxiway towards a general aviation ramp--- once he realized his error, he stomped on the brakes. After remaining motionless for a couple of minutes--- he "kicked it in reverse" and proceeded to power back all the way back to the ramp, where he then selected the correct taxiway and we continued on to the runway for takeoff.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by stevekstevek
So -- now that we have this (interesting) thread open again..

Does DL do powerbacks?

I'm riding a '9 in a few days -- seems like a fun trick. I guess it's not that I'd have to pay attention to notice -- I'm sure everyone on board would notice those JT-8's screaming.
In recent years, I have not really seen any powerbacks.

Delta may have done it in the past. Powerbacks became popular then disappeared on my flights.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Powerbacks used to be SOP at AA for the MD-80 and B727 fleet at airports that allowed the procedure. AA discontinued the practice maybe 5-8 years ago. Guess they re-ran the numbers and decided that additional ground support equipment was cheaper than increased engine wear & tear.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by srodr
I saw a first yesterday on a flight out of BWI. The pilot used thrust reversers to back out of the gate. I don't usually pay attention to how we're backing out, but I was wondering why the engines were running up so high right next to the building...then we just backed out. Anyone else ever seen this?
Those were badass days when pilots did that the Douglas aircraft were and still are pretty cool .... this feature and option stopped being used due to fuel costs.

I use to see this all the time but you hardly ever see it any more
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: their are many of them
I had Powerbacks on AA, and US in the past can't remember if had any on DL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.