Search

Best way from EWR to downtown Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by theshaun
do you book in advance?
For Uber Black, you simply summon the car using the app when you are ready for it. Rarely more than 2-3 minutes.

For standard services such as DIAL7, they maintain a fleet at EWR and even if you reserve in advance, they don't assign a car until you call in to advise that you have your bags and are ready for pickup (unless you have paid extra for inside "meet & greet." Not to worry, as it's still only 2-3 minutes for your car.

For high end services, you do need to reserve and provide a flight # which the service will monitor and will hold the driver and figure out roughly when to meet you.

The issue at EWR is that cars can't wait in the pickup area. Thus, if you aren't at the pickup point when the car pulls up, the car is shooed away and goes around the airport and you wait 10-15 mins for it to make it's way back around.

I've found Uber to be the easiest and least hassle just because it's completely flexible. If I want to stop on my way out, I do. I'm not worried that I've called in and that the car will arrive and I won't be there because I won't summon it until I'm ready.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

do you book in advance?
No.
Originally Posted by Often1
For Uber Black, you simply summon the car using the app when you are ready for it. Rarely more than 2-3 minutes.
And pay the price for the service.
Originally Posted by Often1
For high end services, you do need to reserve and provide a flight # which the service will monitor and will hold the driver and figure out roughly when to meet you.
Only if you choose the inside meet-and-greet option. Most still dispatch the cars from the limo lot when you call upon landing.

Also, FWIW, this is a 7+ year old thread so keep that in mind when reading advice in the earlier posts. :-:
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I thought Uber was the same price, if not cheaper than taxi/limo services?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol
UberBlack is a luxury service and is more expensive than taxis or basic car services like Dial7, Carmel, New Day, Eastern, etc.

UberX is comparable to taxis and traditional basic car services. At EWR taxis are generally the most expensive and basic car services are generally the least expensive, although UberX (which unlike the others is metered) can be cheapest (if there is absolutely no traffic) or the most expensive (if there is a lot of traffic and/or if Surge pricing is in effect).

Note that in markets outside NYC, UberX can be considerably cheaper than other options as it's staffed by citizen drivers, whereas in the NYC market UberX drivers are licensed livery drivers with livery-registered vehicles (technically at EWR I think you can get citizen drivers since it's in NJ and not NYC, but Uber still charges NYC UberX rates for EWR pickups).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:00 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...r-midtown.html

:-:
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA
but now this:

https://newsroom.uber.com/new-jersey/ewr/
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:03 am

There is a train running 24 hours to Manhattan from Newark Airport. It's easy. You just follow the signs for the train and buy a ticket for $8 or whatever it is. I don't remember the exact amount but it's cheap, clean and safe. You can get off at 34th street Penn Station which is below mid town and not too far from downtown. If you have a ton of luggage you may want to cab it.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I took Uber back from EWR on Monday night and was very pleasantly surprised to see it cost $42. They now have some kind of agreement in place for pickup as well (as you can specify where at EWR you get picked up)...never going to book a car service back from there again (if I'm not taking the train or bus). ^
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I took Uber back from EWR on Monday night and was very pleasantly surprised to see it cost $42. They now have some kind of agreement in place for pickup as well (as you can specify where at EWR you get picked up)...never going to book a car service back from there again (if I'm not taking the train or bus). ^
Wow that is a very very reasonable price.

Wouldn't be worth the hassle (for the cost) to take a train/bus then Uber/Taxi it from Manhattan to your final location anymore would it?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:22 am

Wow that is a very very reasonable price.

Wouldn't be worth the hassle (for the cost) to take a train/bus then Uber/Taxi it from Manhattan to your final location anymore would it?
Depends on where you're going and what the weather/road conditions are like. There are plenty of times where it is still faster for me to take the train than a car from EWR to my apartment in Manhattan.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Depends on where you're going and what the weather/road conditions are like. There are plenty of times where it is still faster for me to take the train than a car from EWR to my apartment in Manhattan.
I arriving around 9pm, what would be the fastest/cheapest way?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:38 am

I arriving around 9pm, what would be the fastest/cheapest way?
Fastest will be a car service. Cheapest will be a very, very slow bus+PATH option.

Best compromise is probably NJT train or the Uber option if you've got more than one person or are willing to splurge the little bit.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
$42? Nice!! I see from that link that EWR to midtown is $44. MUCH better than Dial 7/Carmel.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Analise
$42? Nice!! I see from that link that EWR to midtown is $44. MUCH better than Dial 7/Carmel.
Just be aware that it's still distance+time, not flat rate. Might be quite a bit more if traffic is bad.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Just be aware that it's still distance+time, not flat rate. Might be quite a bit more if traffic is bad.
Yup, that's a given. It's also probably faster to take the rails into the city during the day but it's nice to know that if we want car service let's say in the early morning or late night, there's an alternative to Carmel/Dial 7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.