Best way from EWR to downtown Manhattan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from EWR to downtown Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by thegingninj
I'm landing at EWR in an hour (4:50PM), should I assume the train will be close to as fast as an Uber at this time due to rush hour? My hotel is within walking distance of Penn station.

thanks
Definitely. Uber could easily be 1H+ and because of the metered rate and possible surge pricing, you could be in for quite a sticker shock.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm landing at EWR in an hour (4:50PM), should I assume the train will be close to as fast as an Uber at this time due to rush hour? My hotel is within walking distance of Penn station.

thanks
Train's going to likely be a LOT faster than Uber at rush hour.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

thanks
Accurate assumption as even Uber gets stuck in rush hour traffic.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Good tip

Originally Posted by themicah
In theory UberX and Lyft are now illegal at EWR unless you happen to get a NYC TLC licensed livery vehicle. Practically speaking there isn't much risk to the passenger, but if you want to help your driver avoid the potential for a fine, sit in the front seat of their car, and if a cop asks say it's your friend.
This ride can be incredibly cheap now that Uber reduced their prices, I just give the driver a bit extra of a tip. The driver actually gave me the same type of instructions to be chill about the ride.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG

thanks
You probably have already landed but if your hotel is walking from Penn Station - nothing can get you there faster than a train at that hour. The train arriving at the EWR train station 5:21 drops you off at Penn Station at 5:49pm. If you want comparison the identical drive at this hour (not quite peak rush hour) is 44 minutes.
NOTE - in the above time it doesn't include the AirTrain from terminal to the EWR train station which adds 10 minutes depending on your terminal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.