Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from EWR to downtown Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Analise
Yup, that's a given. It's also probably faster to take the rails into the city during the day but it's nice to know that if we want car service let's say in the early morning or late night, there's an alternative to Carmel/Dial 7.
Agreed. Remember, though, this is only EWR-NYC. NYC-EWR is at the higher NYC Uber rates.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Agreed. Remember, though, this is only EWR-NYC. NYC-EWR is at the higher NYC Uber rates.
So it's not clear from that Uber post, but seems like they just reverted back to local NJ (unlicensed) rates for EWR pickups? They were probably losing a lot of business, and I imagine they were keeping that premium for themselves, not sharing with the drivers...

I rarely go to EWR since I stopped flying UA after the merger with CO, but this seems like a decent option now. The biggest issue with the Dial7/Carmel's is the "your car will be there in 5-10 minutes" always turns into 15-20, and I don't think it's because i missed the first go-around...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
So it's not clear from that Uber post, but seems like they just reverted back to local NJ (unlicensed) rates for EWR pickups? They were probably losing a lot of business, and I imagine they were keeping that premium for themselves, not sharing with the drivers...

I rarely go to EWR since I stopped flying UA after the merger with CO, but this seems like a decent option now. The biggest issue with the Dial7/Carmel's is the "your car will be there in 5-10 minutes" always turns into 15-20, and I don't think it's because i missed the first go-around...
My biggest problem with them is that one time I got in, and the driver had a GPS that said our destination was 700 miles away and clearly had zero idea where he was going.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by globalseeker
There is a train running 24 hours to Manhattan from Newark Airport. It's easy. You just follow the signs for the train and buy a ticket for $8 or whatever it is. I don't remember the exact amount but it's cheap, clean and safe. You can get off at 34th street Penn Station which is below mid town and not too far from downtown. If you have a ton of luggage you may want to cab it.
What train is this, does anyone know?? I am thinking of flying in to EWR for one night and staying at an airport hotel (much much cheaper than NYC) and then just public transiting into the city and back. I found the bus option on google but nothing about a train, hotel has a shuttle I assume I can just take that to airport and back to hotel to get this train.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The train is New Jersey transit. The airtrain that serves the terminals goes to it. It will cost $13 each way including the $5 charge for the airtrain. It will take you to Penn Station in Manhattan.

Amtrak stops at the same station but do not take Amtrak, it is orders of magnitude more expensive.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The train is New Jersey transit. The airtrain that serves the terminals goes to it. It will cost $13 each way including the $5 charge for the airtrain. It will take you to Penn Station in Manhattan.

Amtrak stops at the same station but do not take Amtrak, it is orders of magnitude more expensive.
Well, not orders of magnitude ($35-58 vs. $13), but much more expensive for a trip that's only 5 minutes faster.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Well, not orders of magnitude ($35-58 vs. $13), but much more expensive for a trip that's only 5 minutes faster.
Great! Thanks for the info!!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And far less frequent.

NJT does not run 24 hours/day; there are a couple hours in the middle of the night where it is not operating. But it works pretty well the rest of the time.

Also, depending on when the trip is, keep an eye on potential strike action by NJT workers in the coming weeks. That's gonna be a mess.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, depending on when the trip is, keep an eye on potential strike action by NJT workers in the coming weeks. That's gonna be a mess.
No strike confirmed just now! They reached some kind of deal.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: points traveller
any suggestions if coming in at midday with luggage (i.e. not the train)?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
In other words you need a car? UberX/Lyft is your best bet then. It's actually not terribly expensive considering that AirTrain + NJTransit + PATH adds up to ~$15 and a car is on the order of $40.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
Simplest solution is get a car service - Dial 7 or Carmel are popular and relatively cheap. Uber works fine too. I'd avoid a cab, they're no cheaper than the car services, and the cars and service are terrible.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UberX is the best bet if you have even a rudimentary knowledge of your destination area. Drivers only need to know GPS and that is not necessarily the best route in Manhattan. But, it should get you there if need be.

One of the basic car services such as DIAL7 or Carmel is better if you don't know the area. Roughly the same as a taxi, but cleaner and more reliable. No particular need to book ahead unless you are paying for "meet & greet" inside at baggage claim (which is a waste and takes much more time because unattended vehicles can't park close to the terminal).

The train is fine, but still leaves you with a Manhattan traffic issue unless you are within walking distance of NYP or know your way around the Subway which is not exactly designed for luggage.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:40 am

In theory UberX and Lyft are now illegal at EWR unless you happen to get a NYC TLC licensed livery vehicle. Practically speaking there isn't much risk to the passenger, but if you want to help your driver avoid the potential for a fine, sit in the front seat of their car, and if a cop asks say it's your friend.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
I'm landing at EWR in an hour (4:50PM), should I assume the train will be close to as fast as an Uber at this time due to rush hour? My hotel is within walking distance of Penn station.

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.