Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:02 pm

Help please, EWR - JFK

This is by far the best information I have found trying to figure out how to get from EWR - JFK.

I need the fastest and relatively cheapest route, if possible. Flying into EWR at 3:53 and out of JFK at 7:05, international. Based on what I read, I know this will be super tight, but I am determined to make it work.

Option of carrying luggage, which I am guessing we will need to do. Thanks for any input.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:04 pm

Help please, EWR - JFK

*Disclaimer: I have only been to NY through airports, never had to transfer before, so I pretty much know nothing.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by lindsay319
This is by far the best information I have found trying to figure out how to get from EWR - JFK.

I need the fastest and relatively cheapest route, if possible. Flying into EWR at 3:53 and out of JFK at 7:05, international. Based on what I read, I know this will be super tight, but I am determined to make it work.

Option of carrying luggage, which I am guessing we will need to do. Thanks for any input.
In "normal" traffic, this would take about 75-90 minutes by car. You will be smack in the middle of rush hour, so it could take much, much longer - it once took me 3 hours, but that was on a Friday when both the Mets and Yankees were playing home games. You'll want to use a car service so you can arrange to have them waiting for you (instead of having to wait in line for a taxi); the car service will run around $125-$150 plus tips and tolls.

Mass transit would be less expensive, but would take much longer - Airtrain to NJ Transit to the E subway would be about 2-2.5 hours, I think.

If it were me, I would look at getting an earlier flight to Newark, or be ready with an alternate plan in case you miss the onward flight.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;

Hi - I partly disagree with jg70124. Public transportation is doable in about 90 min; a car (or bus) at that time of day is a crapshoot.

You should be able to get NJ Transit to Penn Station and then the LIRR to Jamaica station. If you land on time with only carry on baggage and move quickly you should be able to make a 4:30 or so train to NYP. After that you should be on a train to Jamaica no later than 5:33 (maybe even a bit sooner) and be on the airtrain by 6. If security isn't bad and you have elite security access and you've checked in online and you're not checking baggage then you've got a shot. The subway route won't work - that will take too long. If you are on time, know exactly where you're going on foot to catch each train, you can probably be at JFK before 6... but there is absolutely no room for error.

Mostly, you need to be on an earlier flight into EWR or find a flight into JFK.

The odds are that your flight into EWR will be late at that time of day; it can easily take 3 hours in a car at that time of day; etc. On the bright side, the trains run frequently during rush hour.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:33 am

EWR - JFK

Thank you so much for the tips-- I ended up chewing out our travel agent-- there were no flights into JFK earlier, so we are into EWR much earlier, around noon. Is it easy to figure out the "NJ Transit to Penn Station and then the LIRR to Jamaica station" option? I'm just not sure how that works.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Thank you so much for the tips-- I ended up chewing out our travel agent-- there were no flights into JFK earlier, so we are into EWR much earlier, around noon. Is it easy to figure out the "NJ Transit to Penn Station and then the LIRR to Jamaica station" option? I'm just not sure how that works.
If you have time to not panic looking for the right platform, then yes.

On arrival at EWR you go to the monorail and take that to the airtrain terminal. You then get on NJ Transit to NY Penn Station. At Penn station you find the LIRR train to Jamaica (large displays showing trains times and tracks to direct you). At Jamaica you transfer to the JFK airtrain to the terminal.

Hard part is finding the right platform at NYP. You can buy tickets from machines or on board (I think there's a small premium).
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've just finished reading this thread and I cannot believe that a travel agent planned that itinerary. Seriously, you need to find another agent. No professional in his or her right mind would have scheduled that itinerary for you.

As mbreuer said above, it is very easy. When you board the NJ Transit train, sit to the front of the train. I recommend that because it will put you on the 7th Ave side of Penn Station. Take the escalator or elevator up to the platform on that side when you arrive at Penn. You'll enter into a pink marble NJ Transit waiting area. Walk across it, cross the long corridor that leads to the 8th Ave side of Penn, and take the escalators down to the LIRR. You'll see the escalators because they are next to a Hudson Newsstand. Go to a ticket machine (there are plenty) and buy a one-way OFF-PEAK to Jamaica (off peak is good till 4pm). You'll then see a big board of train arrivals. Most trains stop at Jamaica. But keep in mind, the Port Washington trains don't. At the entrances down to the LIRR tracks, you'll see the stations listed. Just make sure you see "Jamaica".

Since you're arriving early, you can always feel free to walk outside! It's very easy. The streets are numbered as are the avenues. Times Square is just 8 blocks uptown from Penn on 7th Ave.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
You'll then see a big board of train arrivals. Most trains stop at Jamaica. But keep in mind, the Port Washington trains don't. At the entrances down to the LIRR tracks, you'll see the stations listed. Just make sure you see "Jamaica".
The easiest way to identify the trains to Jamaica (although, as Analise indicates, most trains stop at Jamaica) is to look at the big board above the LIRR ticket windows. Every station is listed in alphabetical order, and the times and tracks (once they are posted) for the next three trains to each station are listed next to each station's name.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:51 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
EARLY Saturday morning EWR-JFK

For an EARLY Saturday morning (pre 5am)trip via ground transportation. Travel from EWR hotel to JFK for 6am ish flight.

What is approx time & travel cost?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:52 pm

At that hour, you would have to arrive at JFK 2 hours early if you were take public transportation including the Airtrain to JFK. Hire a car service from your hotel. We have several threads about car services which should give you guidance.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
At that hour, you would have to arrive at JFK 2 hours early ...
Two hours early? Why would one need to arrive two hours early?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:35 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
Two hours early?
strange but a few of the shuttle online sites stated they would pick us up at 1:30am for a 6:30am flight, needless to say, not going to happen.

Online site www.telavivlimo.com gave a price of $80 (+ tolls) which at that time in the morning I didn't think was that bad and is a premium I'm willing to pay seeing as I get in after midnight.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
For an EARLY Saturday morning (pre 5am)trip via ground transportation. Travel from EWR hotel to JFK for 6am ish flight.

What is approx time & travel cost?
Minimum travel time by car is about 35-40 minutes with no traffic. But there's a 30% chance it could take longer, maybe as much as 90 minutes, especially since they often do construction on the bridges between midnight and 6am.

If it were me, I would stay at a hotel near JFK instead of at EWR.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:47 pm

I have an LH flight arriving 20:20 Dec 1, EWR on LH, and am looking at an 8 am departure JFK. Is there alot of traffic at that time on Thursday am to make a connection difficult if I stay at EWR Hotel? I was warned it could take several hours to clear immigration and customs from MUC at EWR and did not want to book a room at JFK if I cant get out of customs until 11 pm at the earliest? That would make an arrival at the JFK hotel after midnight and a 5 am wake up for an 8 am flight. Is this correct?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Two hours early? Why would one need to arrive two hours early?
Did you read the rest of my sentence? Public transportation doesn't give him a chance to arrive closer to the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.