Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kawoh
i get into JFK @ 430pm on a Monday and have a flight from EWR at 7pm do you think i can make it? I guess a cab is the safest bet?

How long do you think the ride would take, taking into ac.... traffic at these times?

Also do you think i have any odds of re-routing when i get to JFK, to ask AA (as an Exec Plat) if I can take the 5pm JFK-ORD-DFW?
Even if you pay for a flight change, I am not sure AA will reroute you with just a 30 minute window. Is there another JFK flight to DFW you can take? If so, you will probably spend less money paying for the itinerary change than you would if you were to take a taxi to EWR.

I think there is a real chance you will miss your flight at EWR. You would need perfect conditions to make that flight including no line at EWR security.

If there are no flights to DFW you can take from JFK, look at LGA. EWR should be the worst-case scenario.

Last edited by Analise; Sep 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by kawoh
i get into JFK @ 430pm on a Monday and have a flight from EWR at 7pm do you think i can make it? I guess a cab is the safest bet?

How long do you think the ride would take, taking into ac.... traffic at these times?

Also do you think i have any odds of re-routing when i get to JFK, to ask AA (as an Exec Plat) if I can take the 5pm JFK-ORD-DFW?
I echo Analise's comment - there is almost no chance you will make your flight at Newark. With no traffic, a cab from JFK to EWR would take about an hour. With even a little traffic, it could easily take 2 hours, and on a really bad day, 3 hours is not out of the question. Then add time to get from your gate to the cab stand at JFK (10-15 minutes) and time for security at at Newark (15-30 minutes).

The cost of a cab from JFK to EWR will be about $150-160. I say spend the money on change fees.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:47 pm

Great tips, thank you - i ended up just flying direct from BOS to DFW, much less painful !!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:40 pm

I am arriving international on IB to terminal 7 and departing UA domestic, also terminal 7 (ps to LAX). (Different PNRs.)

It I'm understanding it, this should be a fairly easy connection -- I assume I'll clear immigration, collect my bags, clear customs and then walk right to the UA ticket counters to check in. In other words, it looks as though terminal 7 operations are all in the same general building, and there's no having to go outside or wheel luggage carts a long distance. I can't seem to get a great terminal map, though, so just checking to see if I'm missing anything. Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by lkar
I am arriving international on IB to terminal 7 and departing UA domestic, also terminal 7 (ps to LAX). (Different PNRs.)

It I'm understanding it, this should be a fairly easy connection -- I assume I'll clear immigration, collect my bags, clear customs and then walk right to the UA ticket counters to check in. In other words, it looks as though terminal 7 operations are all in the same general building, and there's no having to go outside or wheel luggage carts a long distance. I can't seem to get a great terminal map, though, so just checking to see if I'm missing anything. Thanks for the help.
Nope, you're not missing anything.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:47 pm

Hi guys:

I am looking to take taxi cab from JFK T7 to EWR, via Staten Island. What would be the best option in your expert opinions?

1) Take the taxi cab at the airport - if this is the best option in your opinion then how much should I be expected to pay? Do they take credit card or only cash?

2) Hire a private pick-up company that runs pickups from JFK to EWR. If so which companies would you experts recommend, and how much should I be expected to pay? Again, how much?

Finally, I am told taxi cabbies expect 10%-15% tips now... is that true???
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Hi guys:

I am looking to take taxi cab from JFK T7 to EWR, via Staten Island. What would be the best option in your expert opinions?

1) Take the taxi cab at the airport - if this is the best option in your opinion then how much should I be expected to pay? Do they take credit card or only cash?

2) Hire a private pick-up company that runs pickups from JFK to EWR. If so which companies would you experts recommend, and how much should I be expected to pay? Again, how much?

Finally, I am told taxi cabbies expect 10%-15% tips now... is that true???
Actually, a tip of 15-20% is customary for good service when riding in a NYC taxi.

The fare will be based on the meter, with a $17.50 add-on for trips to EWR airport, plus roundtrip tolls, which will be substantial. With tip and tolls, you are easily looking at more than $125. NYC taxis take cash or credit cards.

Unless you are in a big hurry, I would suggest taking the JFK-EWR Olympic Airporter shuttle bus, which costs $30. The shuttle takes about 90 minutes, and departs JFK hourly from 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Actually, a tip of 15-20% is customary for good service when riding in a NYC taxi.

The fare will be based on the meter, with a $17.50 add-on for trips to EWR airport, plus roundtrip tolls, which will be substantial. With tip and tolls, you are easily looking at more than $125. NYC taxis take cash or credit cards.

Unless you are in a big hurry, I would suggest taking the JFK-EWR Olympic Airporter shuttle bus, which costs $30. The shuttle takes about 90 minutes, and departs JFK hourly from 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM.
Thanks a bunch, will give Olympic Airporter a try. the website is not clear on this. Will they have a guy holding a sign for my name waiting for me when I come out, or do I have to wait outside like waiting for Rental Car Bus and just look for Olympic Airporter Bus?

thanks
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

"Will they have a guy holding a sign for my name waiting for me when I come out, or do I have to wait outside like waiting for Rental Car Bus and just look for Olympic Airporter Bus?"

Unless you are going to reserve in advance, I would just go to the ground transportation information desk in your JFK arrival terminal and ask. My guess is that there will be a bus stop in front of the terminal where you will wait for the Olympic Airporter bus/van. (You could also give Olympic Airporter a call and ask.)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Please forgive me if I'm just being dense, but I don't see why going JFK-EWR via the E Train at Jamaica to Penn Station, then connecting to NJ Transit to EWR isn't a more highly recommended option. Is it just because this would take much longer than a cab/shuttle bus, even in rush hour?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:02 pm

As listed in the the Airlink brochures: Travel time from terminal to Penn Station via airtrain & LIRR is listed as 35min plus wait time and via subway to Penn Station is listed as 65 min and from NY penn station to EWR (NJ Transit) as 35min plus wait times.
Fares using LIRR and NJ Transit would be ($ 13.00 + 12.50) $25.50 pp
Using subway ( $7.50+ 12.50) $20.00
I find it can take up to 2.5 hours if you miss connections.
Another option which I have used is ETS shuttle ( van) takes 60-90 minutes costs $ 29.00 between JFK and EWR.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by trek87
Please forgive me if I'm just being dense, but I don't see why going JFK-EWR via the E Train at Jamaica to Penn Station, then connecting to NJ Transit to EWR isn't a more highly recommended option. Is it just because this would take much longer than a cab/shuttle bus, even in rush hour?
Personally, I like trains, but taking 4 of them, requiring 2 or 3 different fare purchases, can be intimidating for those not familiar, or inconvenient for those with luggage. Especially at rush hour, when trains are standing room only. Best case, if you know what you're doing and time everything perfectly, is about 1:20 (via LIRR).

That said, it's not like a bus can't get stuck in traffic for an hour.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
Personally, I like trains, but taking 4 of them, requiring 2 or 3 different fare purchases, can be intimidating for those not familiar, or inconvenient for those with luggage. Especially at rush hour, when trains are standing room only. Best case, if you know what you're doing and time everything perfectly, is about 1:20 (via LIRR).

That said, it's not like a bus can't get stuck in traffic for an hour.
Not all biz traveler carries one small 22" luggage. For my biz needs I carry a full size luggage + a 24" luggage, not counting my own laptop case, that is simply too much to do any train.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trek87
Belt Parkway. SIE. I think commuting between these two airports is horrible but if people are going to do it especially at rush hour, it's best to take trains and travel lightly. At least there are many options for those who have the time to spend and don't want to take the rails.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
JFK - EWR - Saturday early AM

I am taking a red eye into JFK airport arriving on a Saturday morning at 5:45 a.m. I figure by the time I get my bag and am ready to leave the airport it will be around 6:30 a.m.

I then need to transit to the EWR airport. At 6:30 a.m. on Saturday I am not sure if shuttles are running. Is it best to take the LIRR to Penn Stations and the NJ Transit to EWR?

I prefer to not take a taxi due to the high cost.

Thanks.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.