FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:17 am
mbreuer

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by lindsay319
This is by far the best information I have found trying to figure out how to get from EWR - JFK.

I need the fastest and relatively cheapest route, if possible. Flying into EWR at 3:53 and out of JFK at 7:05, international. Based on what I read, I know this will be super tight, but I am determined to make it work.

Option of carrying luggage, which I am guessing we will need to do. Thanks for any input.
Hi - I partly disagree with jg70124. Public transportation is doable in about 90 min; a car (or bus) at that time of day is a crapshoot.

You should be able to get NJ Transit to Penn Station and then the LIRR to Jamaica station. If you land on time with only carry on baggage and move quickly you should be able to make a 4:30 or so train to NYP. After that you should be on a train to Jamaica no later than 5:33 (maybe even a bit sooner) and be on the airtrain by 6. If security isn't bad and you have elite security access and you've checked in online and you're not checking baggage then you've got a shot. The subway route won't work - that will take too long. If you are on time, know exactly where you're going on foot to catch each train, you can probably be at JFK before 6... but there is absolutely no room for error.

Mostly, you need to be on an earlier flight into EWR or find a flight into JFK.

The odds are that your flight into EWR will be late at that time of day; it can easily take 3 hours in a car at that time of day; etc. On the bright side, the trains run frequently during rush hour.