Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight Parking Back Bay near the Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Overnight Parking Back Bay near the Hilton

Looks like I may be stuck having to find overnight parking this saturday near the Back Bay Hilton. They get over $40 a night in their garage, which I would much rather not pay. But I wont have time to drive around looking for the elusive non-resident overnight spot, and cant take the time to go park somewhere way off and take transit back to the hotel. So I need ot be in that general area.

Any suggestions? This is a weekend (Saturday) night.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:50 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Boston is notorious for super expensive parking, but here's a site that might be helpful to find the best deal near the Hilton - search "By Neighborhood" and select Back Bay: http://boston.bestparking.com/index.php
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:36 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Looks like I may be stuck having to find overnight parking this saturday near the Back Bay Hilton. They get over $40 a night in their garage, which I would much rather not pay. But I wont have time to drive around looking for the elusive non-resident overnight spot, and cant take the time to go park somewhere way off and take transit back to the hotel. So I need ot be in that general area.

Any suggestions? This is a weekend (Saturday) night.
How late are you getting there and how early are you leaving?

Meters stop at 8PM, so if you get to one at 6PM you can fill it for two hours ($2.50) and then leave it overnight (make sure you're not in a street sweeping zone or snow emergency area before a storm -- most places are ok). Sunday is free parking nearly every street space (again, check the signs/meters) meter, so you'll be ok then. These meters are not elusive, Boylston Street is full of them as are the cross streets.

ONE IMPORTANT QUALIFICATION!

There are meters in "Resident Parking" areas. Those you CANNOT park in over night (most of those will be south and southwest of the Hilton, or over on Commonwealth Ave). They will be well signed, so beware.

Otherwise, the garage that you enter on Dalton street, near Boylston (to the right of Summer Shack as you face it), is usually the cheapest in the area, although I've never looked at their overnight pricing.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
There are two underground lots that offer cheaper weekend rates. The one nearest the Hilton is Boston Common garage (about 10 minutes walk - I've done this many times) and the other being Garage at Post Office square (no good for you but mentioned for sake of completeness).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by User Name
There are two underground lots that offer cheaper weekend rates. The one nearest the Hilton is Boston Common garage (about 10 minutes walk - I've done this many times) and the other being Garage at Post Office square (no good for you but mentioned for sake of completeness).
Neither of these garages is convenient to the OP's hotel.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:32 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I've never parked there, but there's an underground garage beneath Christian Science park, right? Does that become a pay garage open to the public when they don't have services/events?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Blumie
Neither of these garages is convenient to the OP's hotel.
That's subjective. I consider the Boston Common garage ok for this - as I mentioned I have done this before many times. I have a small suitcase on wheels and enjoy the walk down Newbury St and save a lot of money by doing it. I was clear about the length of the walk in my post.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

That's subjective. I consider the Boston Common garage ok for this - as I mentioned I have done this before many times. I have a small suitcase on wheels and enjoy the walk down Newbury St and save a lot of money by doing it. I was clear about the length of the walk in my post.
10 minutes from the Common garage? You must walk awfully fast. PO Square is way off, you can find other garages just as accessible to transit for better rates. Correction - they do offer good weekend rates there.

I am just going to suck it up and use the Dalton St. garage. The whole point is something really close, so that I can quickly run over and get the car and be in front of the hotel in 10 minutes.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
How late are you getting there and how early are you leaving?

Meters stop at 8PM, so if you get to one at 6PM you can fill it for two hours ($2.50) and then leave it overnight (make sure you're not in a street sweeping zone or snow emergency area before a storm -- most places are ok). Sunday is free parking nearly every street space (again, check the signs/meters) meter, so you'll be ok then. These meters are not elusive, Boylston Street is full of them as are the cross streets..
A lot of the streets in Back Bay (especially Boylston St) have street sweeping from 2am-6am, with no day of the week specified. It seems like a deliberate strategy to keep people from parking on the street overnight.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:26 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
10 minutes from the Common garage? You must walk awfully fast. PO Square is way off, you can find other garages just as accessible to transit for better rates. Correction - they do offer good weekend rates there.

I am just going to suck it up and use the Dalton St. garage. The whole point is something really close, so that I can quickly run over and get the car and be in front of the hotel in 10 minutes.
From the Boston Common garage to the Back Bay Hilton is 1.2 miles, walking, per Google maps. That's taking Boylston street all the way, although Newbury would be prettier, and no longer. It's $11 there, if you enter after 4PM on a weeknight and leave by 8AM
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Parking Garage at St. James Avenue (between Arlington and Berkeley) has a coupon for $25 for 24-hour parking.

http://boston.centralparking.com/Bos...e-Parking.html
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
From the Boston Common garage to the Back Bay Hilton is 1.2 miles, walking, per Google maps. That's taking Boylston street all the way, although Newbury would be prettier, and no longer. It's $11 there, if you enter after 4PM on a weeknight and leave by 8AM
Weekend rates are, I think, higher. It is also still a significant enough walk that at that point I might as well just park somewhere distant and transit in. Which was out of the question this time anyways.

I ended up just paying out for the Dalton St. garage - $32 bucks and there wasnt even an event going on. But, it was convenient and no hassles getting to the front door.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:59 am

Weekend rates are, I think, higher. It is also still a significant enough walk that at that point I might as well just park somewhere distant and transit in. Which was out of the question this time anyways.

I ended up just paying out for the Dalton St. garage - $32 bucks and there wasnt even an event going on. But, it was convenient and no hassles getting to the front door.
Weekends entering after 6AM on Sat or Sunday, leaving by 8AM the next day is $11. $22 for Sat thru Monday. But I wasn't recommending it, I was pointing out the distance.

Still think you should have gone for on-street parking, but glad it worked out for you.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Edit - finished reading and saw the OP has come and gone. And I had free on street parking for him three blocks away. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.