Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Cars at YVR

January 30, 2010 - National at Vancouver International Airport now has Emerald Aisle and Executive Selection, in addition to Emerald Reserve. Here is the layout when you walk out of the Rental Car Centre, nearest stalls first:

Right Side
Emerald Aisle
Fullsize (about 4 spaces)
Midsize (2-3 spaces on end)

Left Side
Executive Selection
Fullsize SUV (2-3 spaces)
SUV (4-5 spaces, note this is for both Intermedoate and Standard SUVs)
Luxury (3 spaces on end)

Premium seems to have disappeared altogether. Also no word yet on where to find Economy, Compact, or Minivans. To the left of the EA/ES/ER is Alamo's area, and National has a row of numbered stalls there too. This area appears to be for one-way cars and other assorted categories (e.g. hybrids).

Here are my observations at 8:00 am on October 10 (Saturday of a long weekend). Overall the aisle was well stocked with only a couple of empty stalls.

Compact

There were only two stalls, with a Chevy Cobalt and a Pontiac G6 (possibly a 4-cyl, couldn't tell). There was also an Economy stall with a Cobalt in it.

Midsize
  • Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger
  • Chrysler PT Cruiser
  • Dodge Caliber
  • Pontiac G6
About 2-3 of each.

Fullsize
  • Chrysler 300 Touring
  • Ford Fusion
  • Mercury Grand Marquis
There were two each of the Fusion and G.M., and about five 300's

Premium/Luxury
  • Chrysler 300C
  • Ford Mustang (possibly a GT)
  • Ford Taurus (newer Five Hundred style)
  • Lincoln MKS
  • Lincoln Town Car
There was one of each. Also the stalls I could see were marked Premium but I'm not sure if some of the stalls were marked Luxury or not...my view was obscured and that's when the booth attendant kinda started looking at me funny...

SUV
  • Ford Escape (several)
  • Ford Explorer Sport Trac (one)
  • Jeep Patriot (two)
There was also a Ford Flex parked at the end under "Fullsize SUV"

Minivan section was all Dodge Grand Caravans and one Ford Flex.

I didn't see any hybrids despite having booked one for November and being given Emerald Reserve service. I did notice that Alamo had at least three on their ready line so chances are National might send you there if you have one booked.

Last edited by Tuneman1984; Jan 31, 2010 at 10:27 am
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:12 pm

Great post Tuneman! I'm going to ask the mod to change the title of your thread to "cars at XXX" so we can link it from the location index sticky.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the only bad part of YVR is the HORRID airport [ the idiots make a nice looking airport that does not work]... and the walk to rental cars is even worse.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Premium/Luxury

So I'm trying to book a luxury car for June 13th and the highest I can book is a Premium. I even tried dates far off into the future and couldn't get the Luxury class to come up. Does anybody know if there are still luxury stalls oin YVR's Emerald Reserve? Or did they just combine Premium and Luxury into one category? I'm concerned about booking Premium and seeing something I want in a Luxury stall, and then having to pay a hefty upgrade...
Old May 25, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Picked up at YVR Saturday Morning..

Usual selection of Hyundai Sonatas and Nissan Altimas in Full size. Misc stuff in Premium of which I took a 2010 Ford Mustang GT, with 800km. Fun car to cruise around in, gets lots of looks (new model).

Ron.
Old May 25, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
Picked up at YVR Saturday Morning..

Usual selection of Hyundai Sonatas and Nissan Altimas in Full size. Misc stuff in Premium of which I took a 2010 Ford Mustang GT, with 800km. Fun car to cruise around in, gets lots of looks (new model).

Ron.
Do they still have stalls marked Luxury? Highest I can book online is Premium...
Old May 25, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Do they still have stalls marked Luxury? Highest I can book online is Premium...
They have 2 Luxury stalls.. there was an MKZ in one of the spaces, and I think a Town Car in the other. National in Vancouver haven't had too much in Luxury lately.. I haven't been able to select it online in some time.

Ron.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:51 pm

National @ YVR have added quite a few 2010 Fusions to the fleet. They're all SEL models w Sirius, Sync, Fabric, nice wheels, etc. I found one today though with all that, plus leather, sunroof, Sony audio, spoiler, etc. Haven't spotted an AWD yet - they had a number of those last year.

Ron.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
National @ YVR have added quite a few 2010 Fusions to the fleet. They're all SEL models w Sirius, Sync, Fabric, nice wheels, etc. I found one today though with all that, plus leather, sunroof, Sony audio, spoiler, etc. Haven't spotted an AWD yet - they had a number of those last year.

Ron.
Awesome, the 2010 Fusions look pretty snazzy, IMO. Don't forget to give us a Ride Report.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:11 pm

Luxury Category returns to YVR!

That's right... Luxury cars are showing up online as available to book! National YVR just got a bunch of 2009 Lincoln MKX. No, they're not cars.. but they're fairly comfy, loaded with the big moon roof, premium audio (Sirius), heated/cooled seats, etc.

Went to downtown location this evening to pick up a full size (and to burn a 1-2-free coupon).. nothing available.. there were several MKX and they asked me if I'd like one.. with 140km.

Ron.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:10 am
Original Poster

I was there Saturday morning doing some business at YVR so I took a quick boo past the aisle. This was just before noon.

Economy

Kia Spectra

Compact

Couple of Suzuki SX4s and a Chrysler PT Cruiser

Midsize

Handful of Avengers and PT Cruisers, plus a fully-loaded Ford Ranger Supercab with leather

Fullsize

Couple of Ford Escapes, couple of Chrysler 300s, 2010 Fusion with leather, and a Crown Vic

Premium

All 2010 Lincoln MKZs

Luxury

Lincoln MKX and Town Car

SUV

Noticed mostly Jeeps (Compass I believe) and a Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Minivan

Dodge Grand Caravans and Ford Flex

Fullsize SUV

Dodge Durango
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Picked up a car at YVR this evening. I was at the 28-hour mark for my day and with family, so I only got a quick look at the selection.

Premium had a 2010 Taurus, couple MKZ and a Crown Vic, which I took as there were 4 of us and luggage. Once I got past the hecticness of getting out of YVR, I began to regret not choosing the 2010 Taurus, as I think it has nearly the trunk space of the Crown Vic, but they'll be around for some time to come so I'm sure I'll get a chance again.

Other standouts were a LOT of PT Cruisers in Midsize, along with a Rondo and a Ranger pickup. Sorry but I didn't get a chance to look much beyond that (we had a ferry to catch that we BARELY made).

Also for reference on this thread, the four stalls nearest the exit booth are Premium stalls, and the two stalls beside are Luxury. It can be a bit deceiving, especially when this evening's Luxury choices were also MKZ.

EDIT: It seems I was wrong. Upon reflection with my travel partner, she recalls the Taurus as being a 2009 model. I was too busy picking something to get us to the ferry. So as of yet, the 2010 Taurus has not been spotted at YVR...

Last edited by Tuneman1984; Oct 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:28 am

Nice, 2010 Taurus already?! YVR always seems to have a nice selection; was it the SEL, Limited, or SHO trim?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Nice, 2010 Taurus already?! YVR always seems to have a nice selection; was it the SEL, Limited, or SHO trim?
Definitely wasn't an SHO. Remember, I've never seen so much as a G8 GT or Impala SS in any of National's Canadian fleets. The "hottest" thing we have here is either a 300C or Mustang GT.

I think it was an SEL but I didn't get a good look at it. I was at the 30 hour mark in my day and trying to make the last ferry. Personally I think YVR has the best selection of any Canadian location I've been to. Always a nice variety and good clean cars on the aisle.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Selection on Sept. 29th ~ 7 PM

It looks like all the cars jumped up and took one step to the right. The effects of ERAC's class creep is starting to show at my favourite National location.

Economy

Nissan Versa hatchback which an employee grabbed and pulled up to the counter area.

Compact

Single Chrysler PT Cruiser

Midsize

All PT Cruisers

Fullsize

An Impala from Manitoba, Altima, and a couple of Dodge Avengers (I guess for those who book Standard?)

Premium

Two Crown Vics and a 2009 Taurus

Luxury

Lincoln Town Car

SUV

Three Ford Escape Limiteds, Jeep Patriot, and a brand new Suzuki XL7 (I did my best James Bond move to hide behind one of the Escapes while an employee passed by, then checked the keytag to verify it's classification; it's a standard SUV )

Minivan

Dodge Grand Caravans

Fullsize SUV

Ford Explorer??? (I'm not sure how they plan to pawn that one off seeing as it's the EXAMPLE car for one class down...)

Nice thing at YVR is that if you use NU1234NAJ and book fullsize it gets you into a midsize SUV. Should come in handy as I may be doing a one-way to Alberta this weekend. Hopefully they'll still have some Escapes on the aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.