Reload this Page >

Countries Unreachable on Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryanbryan
Note: I created this wikipost using info from the thread. Some of the info may be out of date, so please update the wiki if you have new information.

No airport, and no airport nearby:

Andorra
Pitcairn Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Saint Helena (airport under construction)
Tristan da Cunha (British Overseas Territory)
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Tokelau (New Zealand)

No airport, but airport nearby:

San Marino
Vatican City
Liechtenstein
Monaco

Has airport, but unreachable on Miles:

Somalia (Kenya used to fly to Hargeisa but no longer)
Nauru
Tuvalu
Antarctica (some airports but no commercial flights)
Ascension Island (British Overseas Territory)
Greenland
Print Wikipost

Countries Unreachable on Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:26 am

Programs: PC
I think non-recognized countries are probably the best best...places like South Ossetia, the previously mentioned Transnistria and Abkhazia or the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic are not extremely far from major airports but usually involve customs and passport stamps so are in no way as easy to get to as San Marino, The Vatican, etc.

Here's another fun question: which alliance airline has the most destinations in non-recognized countries? Turkish Airlines would be my candidate, with flights to Kosovo and Northern Cyprus

edit: Turkish Airlines would also be my choice for the alliance airline biggest list of "interesting" destinations, with 4(!) cities in Iraq covered, as well as Kabul...good on them for helping those communities recover!

Last edited by lecter; Aug 12, 2011 at 1:32 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
Originally Posted by wildway
Not exactly a country, but I don't believe any of the south Atlantic UK territories can be reached by miles... St. Helena, Ascnesion, and Tristan da Cunha. (If anybody figures out a way, please post!)
Techically, St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha are a single British Overseas Territory.

Ascension is served by seats on the Airbridge (currently operated by Air Seychelles on behalf of the UK Ministry of Defence). No miles can be earned or redeemed on "Air Panini" (as it is nicknamed for the in-flight catering) and the flights are dry too.

Neither St Helena and Tristan da Cunha has an airport - although St Helena might get one in a few years time.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:07 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I believe you can use Qantas points to go to Dili on Airnorth.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I still can't redeem miles to go to Val Verde. I know Western used to fly there.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
Originally Posted by CMK10
I still can't redeem miles to go to Val Verde. I know Western used to fly there.
I have the same problem getting to San Seriffe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Serriffe
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by jakpot
Both Manzini,Swaziland and Maseru,Lesotho are serviced by Star Alliance on SAA Airlink. Did both from JNB recently.

Cheers
^

I flew into Swaziland on SAA Airlink a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by IggySD
Originally Posted by sosafan
I thought there were 192. Ok, South Sudan joined.
Anyway, I find it interesting that there are far fewer members of the U.N. than the 321 "countries" listed by the
Traveler's Century Club.
http://www.travelerscenturyclub.org/countries.html
What an odd list. According to their definition of a country Alaska is one. And there are seven of them in Antarctica. Who knew?
Well Alaska is basically a different country; after all our goods are all flown or driven over a foreign country. Thankfully we do have decent air service
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:57 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The flight connectivity index shows there are few countries with limited air connections.

As noted by others, most of the "hard to reach" countries do actually have one or more FF options.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
how about southern Sudan ?
Kenya Airways (Skyteam) fly from Nairobi.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Update: Turkish now fly from Khartoum to mogadishu, so Somalia is now also reachable.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
TCC defines its "countries" a little more liberally. If only 192 counted too many of us would just blow past the number.
They were having a membership drive and expanded the list.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy
Having lived there for two years, including six months in provincial Russia, it amazes me that a country so large with a history of aircraft production and a large aerospace sector relies so heavily on trains for long-distance passenger transport. I understand the economics but it's to the point that even economically it doesn't make much sense.
This is why I wouldn't want to fly in Russia..

Russia dubbed world's most dangerous country for air travel
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Several dozen
Have registered a complaint with the TCC since Texas wuz so robbed! We were a country when Alaska was just an iceberg. There is still a Texas embassy in London!

http://www.texasembassy.com/

[QUOTE=beckoa;16957564Well Alaska is basically a different country; after all our goods are all flown or driven over a foreign country. Thankfully we do have decent air service [/QUOTE]
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:36 pm

Can anyone recommend how to get to Uzbekistan (TAS) by using miles?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by partizanka
Can anyone recommend how to get to Uzbekistan (TAS) by using miles?
TAS has lots of options.

*A: TK IST, OZ ICN
OW: S7 OVB
ST: SU SVO ROV MRV AER, KE CAI (!), CZ PEK, KE ICN

Airline Route Mapper is your friend. Select TAS and then select the alliance. That's how I got the above info.

Alternatively (and perhaps more or less accurately), you can check out the Wikipedia page for that airport which lists the airlines that fly there. The Wiki page adds these two ST options:
SU LED KHV
OK PRG (seasonal)

Both of these methods suffer from not being 100% up to date. But they're a place to start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.