Reload this Page >

Countries Unreachable on Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryanbryan
Note: I created this wikipost using info from the thread. Some of the info may be out of date, so please update the wiki if you have new information.

No airport, and no airport nearby:

Andorra
Pitcairn Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Saint Helena (airport under construction)
Tristan da Cunha (British Overseas Territory)
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (British Overseas Territory)
Tokelau (New Zealand)

No airport, but airport nearby:

San Marino
Vatican City
Liechtenstein
Monaco

Has airport, but unreachable on Miles:

Somalia (Kenya used to fly to Hargeisa but no longer)
Nauru
Tuvalu
Antarctica (some airports but no commercial flights)
Ascension Island (British Overseas Territory)
Greenland
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:05 am
Original Poster

I'm recently back from a trip to East Timor, which cannot be reached using any major frequent flyer program; the only flights in are on Merpati, Batavia, Air Timor, Timorair and Airnorth, altogether landing from anywhere in the world roughly once a day. This made me curious: what other countries are unreachable using frequent flyer miles? I'll ignore temporary suspensions due to war such as in Libya, and focus only on the 193 UN member states. Let's divide them into groups:

Reachable with a major alliance but not with US miles for political reasons: Iran, Cuba, N. Korea

No major alliance but easy partner: Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Tuvalu (all on Air Pacific)

Microstate with no airport of its own: San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco (all but Andorra have very close airports - as close as Narita or Arlanda to their related cities)

Probably reachable: Sao Tome, Lesotho, Swaziland (flights to these three are on subsidiaries of TAP and S. African which I believe can be used on United or Continental awards)

Unreachable on miles: Somalia (Kenya used to fly to Hargeisa but no longer), Nauru (tiny state), East Timor, Bhutan (Druk Air has state monopoly)

That is, as far as I can tell, you really can see the whole world using only miles!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:27 am

While by no means unreachable it always amazes me how hard it is to get to places in the former Soviet Union using miles (besides Moscow/Petersburg). Even places like Minsk and Kharkov are a real challenge, and they're medium-sized European cities.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: Several dozen
Cuba is reachable using United miles on occasion.

Originally Posted by kevincure
I'm recently back from a trip to East Timor, which cannot be reached using any major frequent flyer program; the only flights in are on Merpati, Batavia, Air Timor, Timorair and Airnorth, altogether landing from anywhere in the world roughly once a day. This made me curious: what other countries are unreachable using frequent flyer miles? I'll ignore temporary suspensions due to war such as in Libya, and focus only on the 193 UN member states. Let's divide them into groups:

Reachable with a major alliance but not with US miles for political reasons: Iran, Cuba, N. Korea

No major alliance but easy partner: Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Tuvalu (all on Air Pacific)

Microstate with no airport of its own: San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco (all but Andorra have very close airports - as close as Narita or Arlanda to their related cities)

Probably reachable: Sao Tome, Lesotho, Swaziland (flights to these three are on subsidiaries of TAP and S. African which I believe can be used on United or Continental awards)

Unreachable on miles: Somalia (Kenya used to fly to Hargeisa but no longer), Nauru (tiny state), East Timor, Bhutan (Druk Air has state monopoly)

That is, as far as I can tell, you really can see the whole world using only miles!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:59 am

Andorra doesn't have air service.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:11 pm

Your question is interesting from theoretical but not practical perspective - for example there are many WORTH SEEING places in Russia that are much further from any airport you can reach with miles than any place in the countries you listed as unreachable. Yet Russia didn't make your list because of an easy- reachable Moscow.

But anyway, following your definition I think (didn't confirm in wikipedia though) at least Vatican is missing.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:14 pm

I believe Vatican City would fall under this as well, though this may well be a moot point for obvious reasons.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K (plus a few others)

I believe SilkAir flies to Dili (from SIN). Can't you use SQ miles with SilkAir (I know they don't accept Star Alliance miles, but thought SQ worked). And there's probably a few more places in the South Pacific (Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu) that would be hard to reach on miles?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by drbobguy
While by no means unreachable it always amazes me how hard it is to get to places in the former Soviet Union using miles (besides Moscow/Petersburg). Even places like Minsk and Kharkov are a real challenge, and they're medium-sized European cities.
Minsk a real challenge? With LH, LO, OS, TK (*A); SU, OK (ST) all serving MSQ, there are worse destinations to try and get to with miles. (True, if you are loyal to OW you have more of a problem, unless S7 fly there now).

I was going to suggest Tajikistan, but S7 and TK both fly to DYU.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by bcmatt
Minsk a real challenge? With LH, LO, OS, TK (*A); SU, OK (ST) all serving MSQ, there are worse destinations to try and get to with miles. (True, if you are loyal to OW you have more of a problem, unless S7 fly there now).

I was going to suggest Tajikistan, but S7 and TK both fly to DYU.
IIRC I was trying to book a flight there with AA miles at some point and couldn't find anything on any partner carrier.

Lots of the former Soviet Union has become more inaccessible by air than it was 20 years ago. I think Belarus used to have 4-5 passenger airports (I'd say commercial but there was no non-state commerce...). Now there's only one as far as I know. There are similar defunct airports in Ukraine and in Russia.

And yes, as stated above there are many, many places in Russia that are a dozen (or more) hours by ground transport to the nearest commercial airport. Even in European Russia that's true.

Having lived there for two years, including six months in provincial Russia, it amazes me that a country so large with a history of aircraft production and a large aerospace sector relies so heavily on trains for long-distance passenger transport. I understand the economics but it's to the point that even economically it doesn't make much sense.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Vatican City is not a UN member state, though of course they also don't have commercial air service.

Air Timor has a wet lease plane from SilkAir for the DIL-SIN route but it does not accrue *A miles and *A can't be used on the flight.

The rest of the S. Pacific is actually pretty well handled, with Continental Micronesia in the north and Air NZ/Qantas in the south. Africa is surprisingly well covered due to colonial flag carriers plus Kenya Air, SAA and the odd Africa-heavy airline like Brussels.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Coolers
I believe Vatican City would fall under this as well, though this may well be a moot point for obvious reasons.
Actually, there may several "micro" or otherwise smaller countries in Europe that technically fall under this, but in all cases they're not that from a major airport in an adjacent country where it's easy to fly into (perhaps even with carriers in more than one alliance).

I would say it's "unreachable on miles" if there's no practical way to get there with miles plus some reasonable ground transportation. A land country which is a few hours drive or train ride or boat ride from a major country, doesn't count.

I don't know, for example, if an alliance flies to each of the Baltic countries, but Estonia is just a 90ish minute boat ride from Helsinki, so I don't care if you can't fly directly into Estonia with miles, since it's so easy to fly into Helsinki with miles.

But, btw, a list defined even this way only helps if you have miles in all the major alliances, plus either Alaska or Icelandair (or is there another way to get reasonbly from the US to Iceland with miles?), or if you don't care how big a country is and how long it takes to go across it (if the alliance can only get you to the capital in one corner). On the latter point, and example is Norway: Any alliance can get you to Oslo, only two can get you to the southwest coast, and any further north (and it stretches far north!) and only Star Alliance can get you there.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Million-Miler Lifetime Premier Executive, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, there may several "micro" or otherwise smaller countries in Europe that technically fall under this, but in all cases they're not that from a major airport in an adjacent country where it's easy to fly into (perhaps even with carriers in more than one alliance).

I would say it's "unreachable on miles" if there's no practical way to get there with miles plus some reasonable ground transportation. A land country which is a few hours drive or train ride or boat ride from a major country, doesn't count.

I don't know, for example, if an alliance flies to each of the Baltic countries, but Estonia is just a 90ish minute boat ride from Helsinki, so I don't care if you can't fly directly into Estonia with miles, since it's so easy to fly into Helsinki with miles.

But, btw, a list defined even this way only helps if you have miles in all the major alliances, plus either Alaska or Icelandair (or is there another way to get reasonbly from the US to Iceland with miles?), or if you don't care how big a country is and how long it takes to go across it (if the alliance can only get you to the capital in one corner). On the latter point, and example is Norway: Any alliance can get you to Oslo, only two can get you to the southwest coast, and any further north (and it stretches far north!) and only Star Alliance can get you there.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:15 pm

++

A good example is Smolensk, Russia, which is a metro area of half a million people, and is famous because of the Polish plane crash there a year and a half ago. But as far as I know there are no commercial flights there, and the nearest big airport is Moscow, about 10 hours away by ground transit.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
All 3 are certainly served by SAS and I will be very surprised if they are not served by Aeroflot
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

SAS (and Air Berlin once it enters ow) flies to Iceland. Many airlines fly to Estonia. The list I gave in the first post should be complete: every other country has at least one airport with a major alliance flight.

And indeed, many places within countries are tough to reach. I don't think there is any way to the huge Canadian territory of Nunavut on miles, for instance. Or anywhere in Mongolia aside from UB. Or Irian Jaya. Nonetheless, I'm surprised how many countries you can get to only on major alliance miles. I would've guessed there were a dozen or two unreachable countries in addition to the microstates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.