[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:05 pm

American Airlines Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

This may sound like a silly question but can I apply for the personal visa that only requires $1500 within the first 6 months and the one $4500 amex one at the same time and have them only pull credit once?

I don't want to have to spend $9000 total within 6 months.

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
That's good information - this is my story so far.

I applied for the business card almost a month back - July 7th. I followed all the instructions in Post No.2.

Got a message that they need to confirm my business address and being in a similar situation as drbobguy (not really having that many paper bills), I was a bit flustered. I posted here and got advice that I could send a bank statement.

So I sent a bank statement (downloaded and faxed it) along with a business contract (I do some freelance web site development so I had a contract from a business with my name).
I got a call saying that these documents are not acceptable.

So I then sent my cell phone bill (showing my name and address) and sent a PDF download of a vonage bill (which actually is a small business plan).
I didn't hear anything for a few days so I called them yesterday and once again they are saying these documents are not enough.

In fact the csr said, the vonage bill is acceptable but not as a download but as a screenshot where they can see the web address. On top of that they want to see a business document like a business license, business lease etc.

I am now at my wits end, it's been a month and they simply refuse to accept any of the documents I send.
I have been a citibank customer since 1999 and I am very ticked off that they would treat me like this.

I had applied for a citibank AA visa card and was approved in Jan 2011 and then a few days after that (didn't read enough on the AA application tricks), I applied for an Amex card but was denied.

My credit scores are very good.

Are you guys recommending I too should send that snail mail letter and then follow up with a call?

I am almost ready to hang up on this application and never apply for another citi card but before I do that I at least want to let citi know how frustrating this is.

QUOTE=drbobguy;16853201]I thought I would recap my story since it will be of interest to others. I applied for the Citi Business AAvantage 75k/$1500 spend a week ago, was stopped at step 3, and received an email saying I was declined because my business was too new.

I called several times and all the CSR's said there was nothing they could do. Since I had read post 2 I decided to send a hard copy letter to the presidential/executive review department (on good stationery) explaining my case, how I try to keep good credit, I'd accept a small credit limit, etc. No new information, just clearly explaining who I am, what business I do, and why I would like the card.

About a week later I got a call from a nice young lady explaining I could be approved if I could provide a proof of address. I posted on here before I have almost no paper trail for anything (utilities, financial statements are all paperless). At the advice of another poster I just "saved as a pdf" one of my utility bills that is online, and then I used an online fax service to send it to the number the lady provided (I don't own a fax machine).

Today the same lady called back, saying I had been approved.

The people at the executive review dept. are a lot more personable, and the lady I talked to called a few times leaving messages and a number that went directly to her desk.

I definitely recommend sending a snail mail hard letter for reconsideration.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:54 pm

Would a bank statement be sufficient for the business card?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by heehee62
This may sound like a silly question but can I apply for the personal visa that only requires $1500 within the first 6 months and the one $4500 amex one at the same time and have them only pull credit once?

I don't want to have to spend $9000 total within 6 months.

Thanks.
That is exactly what post #2 states - you can apply for both cards but must do it B2B. This will most likely result in one credit pull only.
BTW, the spend on Amex is only $4000
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I've followed this thread closely & don't recall seeing many such reports at all. Are you sure? (I did report a recent denial, but in that case I decided to give a whirl after waiting only 14 months.)

Certainly, there have been a number of success stories for people in the 18-24 month range.
I clarified to say approvals in my post. I applied after seeing enough success for the 18-24 folks.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:01 pm

Ok, new around here. Got a nice load of BA miles for my MR points thanks to this forum which lead me over to this offer.

I applied last Friday. Followed the instructions in post 2 and had replies saying they were reviewing my application/s...or something along those lines. The next day I get an e-mail saying my application for the Citi AAdvantage Amex card was denied. I called and they told me I had too many new cards opened recently and too many requests for my credit record.

I checked Experian and I have 3 pulls. I did open 2 x Amex in Jan (Plat 100K offer) and Mar (Gold 50K offer). My credit is good. I am expat so only have credit history going back to 2006. 5 accounts all paid in full/on time with around 10% balance. Income is high.

Just reading about others that were turned down for the Amex but still got the card in the post. There has been no mention of the Visa card. Will be interesting to see if both turn up next week......
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:09 pm

Another data point

Applied for the $1500 Visa and $4000 Amex today back to back. Had to call to provide additional information and was approved for both. Also confirmed the T&C with the agent and verified the spend requirements.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: Several
I might have read the second post wrong, but is the personal Visa only $1500 spend in 6 months, or is it $4000 spend to get the sign up bonus? I just got approved for the personal Visa and would like to know how much I need to spend. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I might have read the second post wrong, but is the personal Visa only $1500 spend in 6 months, or is it $4000 spend to get the sign up bonus? I just got approved for the personal Visa and would like to know how much I need to spend. Thanks for the help.
Depends on which link you used to apply. If you used the 1,500 link and had not clicked on other links before that, you should get the 1,500 spend version. Else, there is no telling.

The Visa has both a 1,500 spend and a 4,000 spend both working while the AMEX only has the 4,000 spend still working.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:46 pm

Just as maps have dotted lines to separate different lands, Post #2 has dotted lines to separate offers. Amazing how much real world common sense one can bring to Post #2 if you tap it.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teammjs
Just as maps have dotted lines to separate different lands, Post #2 has dotted lines to separate offers. Amazing how much real world common sense one can bring to Post #2 if you tap it.
Even more amazing how the real world common sense goes out of window when dealing with credit card application
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: Several
I was under the impression that I would have to spend $4000, however there were several people here stating the $1500 spend for the personal card. How it's laid out made me think that the $1500 offer is no longer working. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't spend $4000 on it in 6 months, but I will do so just to be sure.

*I just followed the link for the $1500 spend and it works, however when I tried to follow it by right clicking and selecting "open in new tab" the app page said it had expired.

Last edited by UVU Wolverine; Aug 3, 2011 at 7:07 pm Reason: new info
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was under the impression that I would have to spend $4000, however there were several people here stating the $1500 spend for the personal card. How it's laid out made me think that the $1500 offer is no longer working. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't spend $4000 on it in 6 months, but I will do so just to be sure.

*I just followed the link for the $1500 spend and it works, however when I tried to follow it by right clicking and selecting "open in new tab" the app page said it had expired.
The app page showed up for me either way though it took forever to bring up the app page but it did show up.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Pl, SPG PL, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, SWA CP
Talking Son approved for Amex and Visa

My 25 yr old son applied for Visa and Amex five days ago. He was approved for Visa online ($1500 spend) instantly; and the Amex card reply online was that he would be notified by mail. Four days later he received the Amex card. He called the 800 number on both cards to activate them and both companies verified the 75 K miles and the spend amounts set forth in this thread. He was more than ready to activate those cards and will use the miles for his honeymoon flight next year. Very cool!!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by tinadump
Ok, new around here. Got a nice load of BA miles for my MR points thanks to this forum which lead me over to this offer.

I applied last Friday. Followed the instructions in post 2 and had replies saying they were reviewing my application/s...or something along those lines. The next day I get an e-mail saying my application for the Citi AAdvantage Amex card was denied. I called and they told me I had too many new cards opened recently and too many requests for my credit record.

I checked Experian and I have 3 pulls. I did open 2 x Amex in Jan (Plat 100K offer) and Mar (Gold 50K offer). My credit is good. I am expat so only have credit history going back to 2006. 5 accounts all paid in full/on time with around 10% balance. Income is high.

Just reading about others that were turned down for the Amex but still got the card in the post. There has been no mention of the Visa card. Will be interesting to see if both turn up next week......
Read Post #2 about reconsideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.