Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: there is not much time left in 2017, given that travel tends to be expensive around holidays. You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta
Departure Airport: SFO, SJC, OAK
Miles Needed: 9,285
Required Spend or Budget: $478
Available Travel Dates: Nov 22-26, Dec 1-3, Dec 8-10
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Just need 100% MQM Delta
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:29 pm

NYC - ATL - EZE- ATL - NYC 1 or 2 day stay in EZE, 11,500 miles. Plenty of dates between now and Dec. 9 with prices between $850 - $920

NYC - SEA - HKG - SEA - NYC 1 or 2 day in HKG, 17,700 miles. Prices starting at $710. Various dates available between now and mid December

Originally Posted by FlyerJudd
Departure Airport: NYC, HPN, BDL, EWR
Miles Needed: 8500 +/- needed for DL platinum.
Required Spend or Budget: $500 - $1000. (MQD Waiver)
Available Travel Dates: Open through end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: YES

Not looking to do an immediate turnaround - prefer to do a 1-3 day stop (or two) and see a cool city or region. Central/South America, Asia, Europe, heck even Africa all ok. Pls give me heads up if you see any interesting ideas. Thx.

Judd.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 19, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:47 pm

For the dates provided, a MR to Lima or HKG would satisfy the miles requirement but will cost about $750 (bookable on Delta)

You can also do two same day MR to the East Coast.

e.g. SFO - JFK, Dec 2, $331, 5100 miles
SFO - JFK, Dec 8, $316, 5100 miles

Originally Posted by missymisfit305
Departure Airport: SFO, SJC, OAK
Miles Needed: 9,285
Required Spend or Budget: $478
Available Travel Dates: Nov 22-26, Dec 1-3, Dec 8-10
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Just need 100% MQM Delta

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 19, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Sure. You can consider a LAX - PVG - SIN - PVG - LAX run on China Eastern which gives you about 21,000 miles for under $1000 depending on travel dates (make sure you get the mileage earning classes and B fare for PVG-SIN-PVG legs which gives 150%) The positioning flights from DTW - LAX - DTW gets you about 4000 miles and is in the $400 - $500 range depending on dates.

Similar prices from JFK - SIN on China Eastern.
Thank you so much canuck_traveler!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles/Skyteam
Booking runs over 5000 miles (e.g.: domestic itineraries) seems outside of my newly forming ITA skills... trying to help out my husband who is short much more than I am (I'm short 4000 for Diamond, he's short 17000!) Any help is appreciated.

Departure Airport: MSY
Miles Needed: 17000
Required Spend or Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Dec 10-17; Dec 20-30
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Anything for those MQMs!

Thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rondaldl
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and new to flying frequently for work. It looks like I am going to be about 10,000 MQM short of qualifying for Diamond Medallion Status on Delta this year. I live in the NYC are and can fly out of any NYC area airport. Hoping someone can help with ideas for 10,000 MQM flights in December on the weekend.

Appreciate all of the help.
jfk-lax-sea-fai-sea-lax-jfk on Dec 9-10 is $662 and about 10K MQM's
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hosh504
Booking runs over 5000 miles (e.g.: domestic itineraries) seems outside of my newly forming ITA skills... trying to help out my husband who is short much more than I am (I'm short 4000 for Diamond, he's short 17000!) Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Not gonna happen for $800. Travel dates are also problematic, early December is better than late, but Dec 10 is still too late. That last opportunity to do long distance MR's is basically the first week of December. After that, you will pay a big premium.

IAH - DXB is around $800 for 12/9 - 12/12.
hosh504 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 19, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:07 pm

Your dates are pretty much into the high travel season. There are not too many options under $800

Consider China Eastern to Asia (SIN, HKG, BKK, CNX, etc.) out of JFK - flights on the first week or around Dec 10 - 13

e.g. December 11 - 13, JFK - PVG - HKG - PVG - JFK, 16,200 miles (a little more if you can get the B class fares within Asia), $543 Positioning flight to JFK should get you the remainder of the miles

Bookable on Expedia

Originally Posted by hosh504

Thank you!
hosh504 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:00 am

$210 MQD needed

Departure Airport: DXB
Miles Needed: none (have over 90k MQM)
Required Spend or Budget: Required spend $210 to silver medallion
Available Travel Dates: any dates until end of December 2017
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes codeshare okay. Just need $210 MQD delta.

I'm based out of Dubai. Currently $210 MQD short of making it to silver medallion. Unfortunately I cannot fly back to the US or Europe before the end of the year. So really, what is the best option to spend $210 MQM? A short flight perhaps on Jet airways? I don't mind anywhere to Bom/del/blr etc in India or Asia. But would the $ spent on Jet airways convert to delta MQDs? I'm pretty sure delta ecards or shopping will not earn me those MQDs. Any response would be appreciated! Thank you so much.

Last edited by karkar1; Nov 20, 2017 at 7:49 am Reason: missing detail
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
6600 MQM

Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: 6600
Required Spend or Budget: 1500
Available Travel Dates: Anytime before the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: trying to move up to silver MQM, so probably just delta.
Preferably in comfort plus or first, so can do a shorter flight.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by rmnygaard; Nov 20, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:16 am

A MR to HNL or to FAI (via DTW) will get you the miles needed. Various dates open the week of Dec 4 in the $750 range.

Originally Posted by rmnygaard
Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: 6600
Required Spend or Budget: 1500
Available Travel Dates: Anytime before the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: trying to move up to silver MQM, so probably just delta.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
You could do a full F fare to the west coast and back and earn 10K MQM's with the 100% bonus, but this is going to cost WAY more than $800. Discount F fares to the west coast can be found from around $1000, but only earn 50% bonus. I'm seeing BUF-JFK-SEA-JFK-BUF in discount F for $1098, but this still comes up short (8764 MQMs).

You can do BUF-FAI same day turns in coach from $600 - $700 (less if you are willing to fly E fares) which can earn up to around 8900 MQM's, so you'd still need a short trip to some place else.
Can't seem to find those fares? I have 2 other decently short trips so 8900 MQM's would be plenty! I think the best deal I have found is BUF-KEF 11/27-11/28 for 807!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by karkar1
Departure Airport: DXB
Available Travel Dates: any dates until end of December 2017
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes codeshare okay. Just need $210 MQD delta.

I'm based out of Dubai. Currently $210 MQD short of making it to silver medallion. Unfortunately I cannot fly back to the US or Europe before the end of the year. So really, what is the best option to spend $210 MQM? A short flight perhaps on Jet airways? I don't mind anywhere to Bom/del/blr etc in India or Asia. But would the $ spent on Jet airways convert to delta MQDs? I'm pretty sure delta ecards or shopping will not earn me those MQDs. Any response would be appreciated! Thank you so much.
isnt MQD only for US based travelers? Can’t you get a waiver if based out of Dubai?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed: 6000 or better
Required Spend or Budget: Up to CDN$750
Available Travel Dates: Pretty much any dates before 25 Dec 2017
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes but would prefer to keep it with DL metal

I'll be honest, I'm a kettle. But this year, I have a chance to make Silver (stop laughing) as I'm flying to SIN. Sadly, my return home isn't until 2018 so I'll end up just under 6000 MQMs short to qualify for Silver. I've got enough points on my Avion card for a round trip long haul flight anywhere in Canada/US (excl. Alaska and Hawaii) up to a maximum ticket price of CDN$750. I'm not even sure if this is doable but I figured I'd ask.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by karkar1
[I]Departure Airport: DXB
Originally Posted by FlyerJudd
isnt MQD only for US based travelers? Can’t you get a waiver if based out of Dubai?
You can, but you would have had to do it before crossing an MQM threshold. Which is to say, once you submit your change of address and have it accepted by DL, it still does not take effect until the next time you cross an MQM "boundary" i.e. 25k, 50k, 75k, or 125k. (Lengthy/old related thread: Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive))

Assuming based on the MR request that karkar1 does not already have the foreign MQD waiver in place, even if they applied for it now, it would not kick unless they reached 125K MQMs for 2017 (and then you'd go from zero to DM instantaneously)

There are certainly Skyteam partners that fly out of DXB that can be used to earn DL MQDs. Jet Airways qualifies, but beware, MQDs would be earned based on distance, and the cheapest economy fares only earn 5% of distance flown as MQDs.

Aeroflot to SVO might be a candidate.

At the risk of spelling out the obvious, you would need to credit the partner flight to your DL FF#, and as a general rule for partner flights save your boarding passes until everything posts correctly in case there is a problem and you need to provide proof.

Bottom line, have a look at the partner earnings charts (they're not all the same, and some of them have two different charts for before 12/31/17 and after 1/1/18 so make sure you're looking at the right one, plus some would earn based on $ spend depending how they're ticketed, it's complicated)

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 20, 2017 at 1:43 pm Reason: minor clarifications/additions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.