Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DOT May 8, 2015 Notice: Enforcement Policy Regarding Mistaken Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOT May 8, 2015 Notice: Enforcement Policy Regarding Mistaken Fares

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Of course it was. By one decimal point over the normal filed tariff. Particularly when that's the published fare for an upgradeable economy ticket to the same destination. The rationalizations I read around here are so absurd. The DOT ruling is a good one that sets the terms clearly and gives the airlines the out they -- or any other business -- deserve.
I have just looked up UA GF fares on BOS-ICN route for a random date in June: the lowest r/t is $5,370 (A bucket) and the highest is $29,746 (F bucket). The highest A bucket is still $28k+.

The difference between those two isn't 10x, but a ~6x. There is an economy B fare at a comparable cost to the lowest GF fare. Is $5,370 fare a mistake?

The bottom line is, allowing to cancel - at any time - tickets purchased through normal channels, without manipulations a-la DKK or 4mi HKG glitches, is affording airline protections that neither consumers nor other businesses are entitled to.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
There is a very simple way around this... if a fare creates any doubt in your mind, a call to the airline will confirm whether you're good to go (or not).
Whatever happened to DO NOT CALL?

Originally Posted by izzik
(not a legal opinion)

To me, it looks like DOT is trying to protect "good faith" purchases but not "bad faith" purchases. If you really need a definition, here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_faith_%28law%29

Thus, if you know this is a mistake fare and you know you are taking advantage of such a fare, DOT is not interested in protecting your purchase. The part about making all consumers "whole", regardless of good/bad faith, is remarkable. I also think it's noteworthy that the airline needs to make ALL purchasers whole if they cancel/refund the fare. However, if you truly had no idea that this was a mistake.. but you thought it was a great deal and bought the ticket, then DOT would take your side over the airlines. That's what it sounds like to me.

So, not encouraging for most people who buy mistake fares since they usually know it's a mistake (don't kid yourself).. but it's not at a point where I wouldn't go for it, especially if my expenses are "covered" in a way that the airline can't just cancel all fares and be done with it. DOT certainly could have offered that solution and let airlines do whatever they want. However, there are hoops to jump through and most airlines lack the customer service aspect to efficiently handle such processing.
The ALL requirement might be a way, similar to the recent policy, to handle everyone with a given mistake fare all at once rather than individually, in not only the airline response to complaints but also the DOT oversight. However, I predict disputes over what is covered, which could become a big mess.

Originally Posted by dilanesp
These sorts of arguments fundamentally misunderstand the legal system, which judges reasonableness all the time.

Non-lawyers seem to often expect that legal rules will be technical, minute, and precise, with numerous opportunities to technically comply while gaming the system, but that's often not true. There's no way to decide in advance what expenses might be reimbursable. It has to be decided on a case-by-case basis, because sometimes booking a non-refundable expensive hotel would be reasonable and other times it wouldn't be.

I suspect the DOT will take everything into account when determining reasonableness:

1. Did the consumer realize it was a mistake fare (including circumstantial evidence such as number of bookings, website manipulation, whether the fare was publicized, etc.)?
2. Did the airline catch it quickly, before a reasonable consumer would have booked non-refundable lodging, tours, etc.?
3. Did the consumer appear to deliberately make non-refundable bookings in an attempt to keep the airfare (i.e., super-quick bookings, booking non-refundable deposits and rates when comparable refundable options were available, booking luxuries that the consumer ordinarily does not purchase)?

And there will probably be some borderline cases, and cases where the DOT gets a decision wrong. (And don't get me wrong, there are all sorts of problems with this new regulation.)

But "reasonable" is common in regulations, and it is especially common in situations where the regulator thinks that someone will game the system if any more specific standard is imposed. (I suspect that is also true in the case of the burden of proof provision here with the airline-- rather than defining a mistake fare, they are saying to the airlines "you need to prove it was a mistake", because if they supply a technical definition, airlines might try to circumvent it to withdraw fares they don't want to honor.)
2-3. Some people reasonably book hotels at the same time as airfare, in order to coordinate availability where they want to stay or reasonable prices. Others just want to deal with the logistics of a trip all at once, so as to avoid forgetting until it's too late. I've rushed to find hotel rates while within the 24 hour cancel period and I've made tentative hotel bookings before finding flights, although I only very rarely book nonrefundable hotel rates.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Puns related to "Do not call the airline" aside, if the fare is filed and being auto-priced by their own engine, what would allow a CSR to determine whether it's a mistake or not?
Exactly, and the call won't be transferred to someone who is authorized to make a commitment by the airline.

Originally Posted by eloraculo
How is that ruling good? It is very vague, it is the contrary to setting terms clearly. They want passenger to have some skin in the game, so perhaps someone will not buy 4 tickets, but 1 is doable. You will get more people booking non refundable and then airlines disputing those cost, with final step DOT getting more complains, that they'll have to look one by one and not a a chance to have a blanket statement.
I too caan envision this becoming a big mess for all sides: customers, airlines/travel agents, and DOT, perhaps with hotels also caught in the middle.

I have just looked up UA GF fares on BOS-ICN route for a random date in June: the lowest r/t is $5,370 (A bucket) and the highest is $29,746 (F bucket). The highest A bucket is still $28k+.

The difference between those two isn't 10x, but a ~6x. There is an economy B fare at a comparable cost to the lowest GF fare. Is $5,370 fare a mistake?

The bottom line is, allowing to cancel - at any time - tickets purchased through normal channels, without manipulations a-la DKK or 4mi HKG glitches, is affording airline protections that neither consumers nor other businesses are entitled to.
A further ambiguity is whether we should be focusing on the base airfare only or total ticket price? A big reduction in the fare might look like not such a big change in total ticket cost when fees and taxes are added.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:16 pm

What a mess.

I understand what the DOT is trying to achieve - not forcing airlines to be on the hook for mistake fares - but they are doing a terrible job of accomplishing that fairly.

This regulation has been out for three (four?) days, and already ripped apart to expose its ambiguity and the damage it will do to consumers not trying to "game the system".

Not that we can expect too much from the government, but this is pretty silly.

Let's see - if I want to 100% ensure that I will be able to fly a given fare, I must research it thoroughly in order to confirm for myself that it's not a mistake. Not just currently offered fares, because those might also be mistakes, but historical fares. Maybe even make comparisons to fares from competitors. Awful.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
I predicted that the effect of this complaint would be that the DOT would change the regulations to the detriment of the "mistake fare" purchasers. Their original intention was to protect consumers from airline games. Thus far, they have mostly spent their time and resources (and reputations) protecting consumers who want to obtain "mistake fares." That isn't going to last.
Yes, it was a good prediction. I don't believe anyone could predict this temporary regulation and how much it puts non-"mistake-fare" fliers at the mercy of the airlines.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
An actual fare available on AA.com. The fare is $2. It isn't a mistake, but who's to say the airline doesn't come back and say "Ooops, that was supposed to be $200."
Code:
Adult fare, taxes and carrier-imposed fees  

Base fare $2.00 USD 
  Per person 

CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $516.00 USD 

PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $26.40 USD 
DENMARK  
PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $82.90 USD 
UNITED KINGDOM  
TRANSPORTATION TAX $35.40 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US APHIS USER FEE $5.00 USD 
UNITED STATES  
PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE $9.00 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE $7.00 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US SECURITY FEE $5.60 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US CUSTOMS USER FEE $5.50 USD 
UNITED STATES  

Total Adult taxes and carrier-imposed fees 
$692.80 USD
Old May 11, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A further ambiguity is whether we should be focusing on the base airfare only or total ticket price? A big reduction in the fare might look like not such a big change in total ticket cost when fees and taxes are added.
That's a good point. AA made a big deal about not ever offering zero-dollar fares as a proof that PEK fare was a mistake, but to a consumer the only price that matters is the grand total of fare, surcharges and taxes/fees.

Last edited by legalalien; May 11, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
If there are "mistake" fares at lower dollar intervals, it should also extend to higher dollar intervals.
Example: You buy a $1K F fare to Asia. A day later, the airline raises the fare to $10K and claims "mistake". Then you should also be able to claim a "mistake" if you buy a $20K F fare to Asia and shortly thereafter it is lowered to $5K!
If you have bought an F fare to asia for $20k you will most likely be able to get a refund and re-book the fare for $5k.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you have bought an F fare to asia for $20k you will most likely be able to get a refund and re-book the fare for $5k.
There's a surprisingly large number of F fares in the $15k range that have cancellation fees of $400-$500. Full unrestricted F probably doesn't, but others do.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: united
Stop being so ingenuous. We all know these fares are errors and not bait and switch. The regulations were intended to give consumers a fair break in cases where partial fares (without fees, etc.) were the only information provided. They were not made so you could get to keep a $200 F fare to Japan which is beyond the pale of the norm.
I think it's more fluid than that. I do think there was also an intention not to allow airlines to declare a "mistake" after someone had gone out of pocket for legitimate travel expenses, planned the trip, taken time off from work, etc.

And I suspect what the DOT wants to do is reach some sort of equilibrium where airlines can void actual mistake fares quickly when they are detected, but consumers who really do rely on a purchase and make legitimate travel plans don't get the rug pulled out from under them.

Having said that, I think the previous regulation was better. I think the rule should be to honor mistake fares, and exceptions ought to be made on a case by case basis through DOT rulings.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
It is absurd that DOT is not enforcing the laws/regulations as written. They should enforce the regulation until it is officially changed.

Perhaps if enough people write to members of Congress, they'll pressure DOT to enforce the rules.
I agree. If you are going to write a rule and then decide to ignore the rule you write, it's the path of the the law of the lawless and but a mirage when it shouldn't be too.

This country needs a major dose of an updated, consumer-friendly airline passenger protection legal regime, more so now than ever before because of a variety of factors -- factors that include the U.S. DOT being too cozy with the U.S. industry kingpins which it's supposed to regulate. Unfortuntately, the Congress, the White House and the SCOTUS seem to default to siding with the US3 in too many ways.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by eloraculo
How is that ruling good? It is very vague, it is the contrary to setting terms clearly. They want passenger to have some skin in the game, so perhaps someone will not buy 4 tickets, but 1 is doable. You will get more people booking non refundable and then airlines disputing those cost, with final step DOT getting more complains, that they'll have to look one by one and not a a chance to have a blanket statement.
Get real, the airlines have never disputed normal tickets, just the ones that represent true unintentional errors in pricing. If people start further abuse, the DOT will get even more behind the airlines. Little sympathy here to those of you who have made off like thieves expecting mama DOT to save your souls.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Sorry, just because a filed fare is off a decimal point does not make it a mistake. In fact, you could claim that the $17,000 F fare is the absurd one!
And what fairyland do you live in? There are a few bridges over the East River you might be interested in for a couple of thousand dollars...

Believe me, the airlines will now cancel these tickets within hours of them being booked, not capriciously a few days before a flight (unless the flight is booked for a day or two from the date of the fare error).

Originally Posted by ninegoodthings
What a mess.

I understand what the DOT is trying to achieve - not forcing airlines to be on the hook for mistake fares - but they are doing a terrible job of accomplishing that fairly.

This regulation has been out for three (four?) days, and already ripped apart to expose its ambiguity and the damage it will do to consumers not trying to "game the system".

Not that we can expect too much from the government, but this is pretty silly.

Let's see - if I want to 100% ensure that I will be able to fly a given fare, I must research it thoroughly in order to confirm for myself that it's not a mistake. Not just currently offered fares, because those might also be mistakes, but historical fares. Maybe even make comparisons to fares from competitors. Awful.
I can only roll my eyes at the heights some of you will go to in trying to rationalize your way out of what is a very simple and straight forward matter. Airlines are not capriciously going to cancel legitimate published fares. This is a very clear and specific exemption to deal with mistake fares that can arise for a variety of reasons. Given there are hundreds of thousands of fares revised daily, even the best Sigma error targets can be expected to generate a couple of these every year.

Originally Posted by dilanesp
I think it's more fluid than that. I do think there was also an intention not to allow airlines to declare a "mistake" after someone had gone out of pocket for legitimate travel expenses, planned the trip, taken time off from work, etc.

And I suspect what the DOT wants to do is reach some sort of equilibrium where airlines can void actual mistake fares quickly when they are detected, but consumers who really do rely on a purchase and make legitimate travel plans don't get the rug pulled out from under them.

Having said that, I think the previous regulation was better. I think the rule should be to honor mistake fares, and exceptions ought to be made on a case by case basis through DOT rulings.
So you think it should take days of DOT study (staff time and expense) to declare someone who purchases a half dozen such fares valid or invalid, likely settled well after the flights have been taken. Go back and read the gleeful posts by those around here who have purchased dozens of these fares over the years, boasting of their success.

In my view, the airlines have not been tough enough. Since they could not cancel these tickets (at least the US airlines and foreign ones where there are flights into/out of the USA) they should never give miles when these flights are taken.

Last edited by Pat89339; May 11, 2015 at 9:49 pm Reason: Muitiple successive posts.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:47 pm

Get real, the airlines have never disputed normal tickets, just the ones that represent true unintentional errors in pricing. If people start further abuse, the DOT will get even more behind the airlines. Little sympathy here to those of you who have made off like thieves expecting mama DOT to save your souls.
Not sure why some people have difficulty separating their emotions from unbiased analysis. One thing is that you don't like it, another thing is what you think is going to be the outcome of this change.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:49 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Of course some of us here are trying to protect the idea of mistake airfares. It's only human to protect community and/or self interests (which is why lobbying exists).

In general we do have to cope with reality that things will change. Either a middle ground of airline-consumer no fault or entirely airline interest based.

Airlines will pull the "mistake fare" card at least once on an actual airfare deal. However, do we really expect them to go left and right on fares and claim those are mistake fares too? Of course not. We need to be realistic here and look at it from the standpoint of a group.

Are we as a community being threatened for the fact the gold will dry up or are we really going down a slippery slope of sorts where airlines want to squeeze dollars? We should fight for our interests, but not expect us to gain the full ground.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I agree. If you are going to write a rule and then decide to ignore the rule you write, it's the path of the the law of the lawless and but a mirage when it shouldn't be too.

This country needs a major dose of an updated, consumer-friendly airline passenger protection legal regime, more so now than ever before because of a variety of factors -- factors that include the U.S. DOT being too cozy with the U.S. industry kingpins which it's supposed to regulate. Unfortuntately, the Congress, the White House and the SCOTUS seem to default to siding with the US3 in too many ways.
So what are all those penalties about if passengers are "stranded" on the tarmac for more than a given amount of time? DOT has introduced a lot of consumer friendly regulations of late. However, the government is also there to ensure there is a viable domestic airline industry and part of that requires these companies to actually make money. If you check the record, US airlines have seldom made a profit in over 50 years of post-WWII operations, and before that required US Mail contracts to survive. The majors have all been through bankruptcy once or even twice. Sometimes when I read the posts around here, I have to wonder if anyone has ever run a business or dealt with meeting a pay roll. Seems you just spend your employers' money on airline tickets and hotel rooms and think you're masters of the universe!

Originally Posted by Server
Airlines will pull the "mistake fare" card at least once on an actual airfare deal.
On what basis are you making such a statement? Has there ever been such a case? Surely you can't believe a $400 US-China business fare is not a mistake? Please provide some substantiation before making such grand forecasts.

Last edited by Pat89339; May 11, 2015 at 9:52 pm Reason: Use Multi-quote
Old May 11, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
CRIMINAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.