Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DOT May 8, 2015 Notice: Enforcement Policy Regarding Mistaken Fares

DOT May 8, 2015 Notice: Enforcement Policy Regarding Mistaken Fares

Old May 10, 2015, 10:21 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Would the airline force you to cancel the ticket on another airline if they have to reimburse you? Or would it so happen that your positioning flight is first class, cross country and they reimburse you for that flight while you can still take it because they can't force you to refund it?

If they throw it out because it isn't reasonable, let me rephrase it: Business class, cross country.

Does it then become reasonable because I am going out on a business trip of sorts on that said fare? Last minute meeting perhaps.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by CDKing
DOT realy should give 24 hours for airlines to determine if a fare is a mistake just like we are only given 24 hours to get out of a reservation. Its only fair.

BTW anyone know of any good mistake fares to the bottom tip of south america? I think it may be time to book that $10K Antarctic cruise I've been looking at
Oh yeah, can't wait to go see the Penguins.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under the temporary enforcement policy, the carrier bears the burden of proving a mistake and the consumer bears the burden of proving the consequential damages as "reasonable.".

I wouldn't run out and book a non-refundable Antarctic cruise unless I plan on paying for it myself.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who don't like this, comments may be submitted on the DOT website. Ranting here won't change anything.

But, the handwriting is on the wall. There's gonna be a rules change. The question isn't whether, it's what protections may be built in for non-mistake gamers.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:55 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
For those who don't like this, comments may be submitted on the DOT website. Ranting here won't change anything.

But, the handwriting is on the wall. There's gonna be a rules change. The question isn't whether, it's what protections may be built in for non-mistake gamers.
That was my comment earlier too. It would be nice if someone could find a form or an email that would allow comments to be submitted. Maybe place it in a wiki post.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I predicted that the effect of this complaint would be that the DOT would change the regulations to the detriment of the "mistake fare" purchasers. Their original intention was to protect consumers from airline games. Thus far, they have mostly spent their time and resources (and reputations) protecting consumers who want to obtain "mistake fares." That isn't going to last.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I believe it's too late, that the comments they are speaking of when they say they are reviewing and formulating responses, they were all submitted pursuant to this earlier comment request which closed months ago.

My concern here is that the pendulum swings way too far in the direction of the airlines at a time when they have shown a desire for decreasing transparency around pricing practices and fares. What is a mistake? And should the large corporations in total control of their IT systems be allowed to decide? Does that remove any incentive for them to improve those systems at a time when there is less competition and so maybe less market based incentive to improve those systems?

Take for example what BA did a few weeks ago, issued a bunch of fares that were supposed to be restricted to non LHR connecting itineraries. About 24 hours later you could no longer book LCY/LHR connections. Was that a mistake? Would they be allowed to move those of us who booked to OpenSkies or AA direct flights? And the Chase BA discount and AARP discounts were stacking in a strange way that led parties of 2 to actually get a slightly larger discount than one pax, and that too was fixed about 24 hours later. Mistakes? Ones that the ticketing carrier should be allowed to void or worse yet "correct" with a requirement that you pay more to fly?

Also, is there a time constraint, say 24-48 hours for the carrier to act? The BA F fare was around for a while and some had flown it before it even hit FT. There are fares my family is booked on that still havent even seen the light of day on FT. Can those be cancelled now or once the amended rule is issued?

I hope that if this rule is amended, and it certainly sounds like it will, that it doesn't eviscerate the consumer protection that is necessary in this rule. Maybe far fewer EY or BA F fares for us, but I'm not convinced a rule that always allows cancellation or collection of additional $$ will create the proper incentives for the airlines to come into the 21st century.

Originally Posted by Server
That was my comment earlier too. It would be nice if someone could find a form or an email that would allow comments to be submitted. Maybe place it in a wiki post.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

You're very welcome. While I was obsessing about my 24HR hold, I noticed how information trickled out about the United Denmark affair. I'd check the What's New page in addition to the main complaint page. Friday night there was finally something new.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by dhuey
I wonder if this might prompt purchasers of the mistake fare to incur a whole bunch of non-refundable costs for hotels and other expenses related to the travel. Demand reimbursement from the airline, and then go on the trip and use what you purchased. The airline might end up covering your stay at the Ritz.
The out of pockets have to be "reasonable".
Old May 10, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Who is to determine what is reasonable? Oddly enough, I'm at the Ritz tonight.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
For premium cabin fares, staying top hotels should obviously be reasonable, even suites, since passengers have demonstrated that they value and are willing to pay for extra space, service, F&B, and comfort on flights.

If someone is traveling to Africa, a safari would be reasonable since it's often the purpose of the trip. Plus, how can staying in tents not be a reasonable expense?
Old May 11, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
This is what lobbies do. Simply.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For premium cabin fares, staying top hotels should obviously be reasonable, even suites, since passengers have demonstrated that they value and are willing to pay for extra space, service, F&B, and comfort on flights.

If someone is traveling to Africa, a safari would be reasonable since it's often the purpose of the trip. Plus, how can staying in tents not be a reasonable expense?
You could also make the argument - because I got such a great deal on the airfare, I was able to splurge for the Ritz and a town car.

of course this all comes back to making the airline pay for it. And DOT has made it clear they are not interested in doing that.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:27 am
HCA

Originally Posted by CDKing
DOT really should give 24 hours for airlines to determine if a fare is a mistake just like we are only given 24 hours to get out of a reservation. Its only fair.
Sounds a solution so we can better plan for our trip.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not that sure that looters who try to chase 100$ fare in F really fall within that description

As someone already suggested, it should be a double way 24h window for both pax and the airline

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.