Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DOT May 8, 2015 Notice: Enforcement Policy Regarding Mistaken Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

A notice was posted sometime yesterday on the DOT website under What's new regarding the enforcement of mistake fares. It is silent on the 24 hour hold issue, but after a quick read, it seems to be a temporary "get out of jail free card" for the airlines going forward from Friday.
https://cms.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fi...t_05082015.pdf
Old May 9, 2015, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by PITgetawayflyer
A notice was posted sometime yesterday on the DOT website under What's new regarding the enforcement of mistake fares. It is silent on the 24 hour hold issue, but after a quick read, it seems to be a temporary "get out of jail free card" for the airlines going forward from Friday.
I wonder if this might prompt purchasers of the mistake fare to incur a whole bunch of non-refundable costs for hotels and other expenses related to the travel. Demand reimbursement from the airline, and then go on the trip and use what you purchased. The airline might end up covering your stay at the Ritz.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It says "the Enforcement Office will not enforce the requirement of section 399.88 with regard to mistaken fares occurring on or after the date of this notice" (bolded mine), which is May 8. This does not include the present fare, which occurred in March, so, technically, AA should still answer the "holds" issue.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by PITgetawayflyer
The enforcement policy outlined in this notice is temporary and will remain in effect only until the Department issues a final rule that specifically addresses mistaken fares. If, based on comments received in the rulemaking process, the Department determines that section 399.88 should remain as written, airlines and other sellers of air transportation would be expected to comply and the Enforcement Office would enforce the requirement.

There is still hope.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by dhuey
I wonder if this might prompt purchasers of the mistake fare to incur a whole bunch of non-refundable costs for hotels and other expenses related to the travel. Demand reimbursement from the airline, and then go on the trip and use what you purchased. The airline might end up covering your stay at the Ritz.
Or, they may honor the fare and you will be forced to stay at Ritz at your own expense.

If the notice is an indication of where the department is leaning in its rulemaking, then my guess is that premium cabin mistake fares are likely dead. Economy mistake fares may survive, since reimbursement of non-refundable expenses could make honoring the fare an economically viable option.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AOPA
the temp reg is not good for the consumers.

they need to have rule saying the airline can ONLY cancel within 24 hours of booking of a mistake fare, greater than 24 hours, the fare will stand.

PEK held tickets might come back.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
What's the process for making a submission?

In my opinion, if the guideline has to change it must protect consumers and the airline equally. For example, if airlines are to be given seven days to notify of an alleged mistake fare, then consumers must also be given seven days to inform the airline that they made a mistake.

Maybe we could have a new thread discussing the DOT's process here.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The direction of this doesn't look good...If premium fares "special offers" are gone, this will take away most of the excitement for being on this fora. Plus, whenever a good discounted fare becomes available (like a $1500-1700 TATL biz fare), we won't know if it will be honored.
Anyway, the DOT temporary ruling should have been "things will stand as they are, until we figure the new guideline out" and not "you don't have to honor fares, until we can figure this out".
Old May 10, 2015, 7:49 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Rather than discussing and arguing it here continuously, why not write a formal comment letter to DOT? Most regulation agencies will allow a commenting period on new regulations. It would give them insight on the fears and routes they could go with these mistake fares.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:46 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Thank you PITgetawayflyer for bringing this to our attention. I have split this discussion from the AA PEK thread into a separate thread for further comment.

Pat89339
Moderator, Mileage Run Forum
Old May 10, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
DOT realy should give 24 hours for airlines to determine if a fare is a mistake just like we are only given 24 hours to get out of a reservation. Its only fair.

BTW anyone know of any good mistake fares to the bottom tip of south america? I think it may be time to book that $10K Antarctic cruise I've been looking at
Old May 10, 2015, 9:50 am

Also being discussed here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...kes-again.html
Old May 10, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by CDKing
BTW anyone know of any good mistake fares to the bottom tip of south america? I think it may be time to book that $10K Antarctic cruise I've been looking at
I like where your head's at! This could open a whole new can of worms for the DOT, which sounds about right.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Au4882
I like where your head's at! This could open a whole new can of worms for the DOT, which sounds about right.
There currently is or recently was one, but from Europe.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:17 am

Seems this new policy is very very vague and pro airline. How long do they have to decide it was a mistake fare? Seems weeks later they could come back and say it was a mistake fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.