Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Factor in lots of time to check in, the lines out front can be horrendous.
Indeed they are! We fly AA and can expect at least 45 minutes in line just to check in if it's Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Departed CUN mid-afternoon today (Friday) on AC from T2. Economy line looked like 45 mins. I have status and had no one in front of me. Security was a breeze. Zero wait time. There were three lanes open.

I was also in T2 around 3pm last Saturday to see my niece off. Lots of charter flights so the terminal was very busy. Security was well-staffed and looked to be only 10-15 mins wait.
--
13F
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Departed from T3 on AA today for 12:50 flight to MIA. Arrrived at airport at 11:05. Planes were full (end of spring break). Economy check in lines were long/premium check in was immediate.

The "big" line was for security. Probably about 30 mins, but one of the x-ray machines (1 out of 6) was not working (turned out to be in my queue (1 out 3 "queues), so I would say allow 20-30 mins for security. Teminal did not have first class/premium security lane, as far as I could tell. Plane was 100% full.
Old May 2, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by nologic
Teminal did not have first class/premium security lane, as far as I could tell.
Correct.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Aloha1
What's the latest on time to get to the gate from check in at CUN if going back to the US?
As with many questions on FT, the answer is "it depends" and you need to provide more facts to get a useful answer.

Some peak days, particularly holiday weekends, 3 hours might not be enough. We saw people miss their flights after New Years because the checkin line was longer than 3 hours. Even F checkin line at US was 1 hour. However, for offpeak midweek flights it could be only a matter of minutes. In general we found Mexicana to be far more efficient than many of the US carriers as they have good staffing to service far more flights.

The problem is that everyone has to checkin at the counter so the process is much slower and less efficient than the US where you just print off your boarding card and go to security. The security lines, btw, were only 15 minutes, even at the peak last year.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As with many questions on FT, the answer is "it depends" and you need to provide more facts to get a useful answer.

Some peak days, particularly holiday weekends, 3 hours might not be enough. We saw people miss their flights after New Years because the checkin line was longer than 3 hours. Even F checkin line at US was 1 hour. However, for offpeak midweek flights it could be only a matter of minutes. In general we found Mexicana to be far more efficient than many of the US carriers as they have good staffing to service far more flights.

The problem is that everyone has to checkin at the counter so the process is much slower and less efficient than the US where you just print off your boarding card and go to security. The security lines, btw, were only 15 minutes, even at the peak last year.
Moral of that story is it pays to have elite status or fly in first to cut the long lines for the ticket counter that are there for the 10a-2pm departures on US, AA, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
CUN airport questions

I'm heading to Cancun shortly and had two quick questions:

1) Is there an area you can wait/meet-up before customs? My gf & I are flying in separately on flights that arrive at the same time (CO and UA). What is the best spot for us to meet up? I am not familair with the airport, and wanted to make sure we have a designated spot, since I don't think our cell phones will be working.

2) How early do you need to be at the airport? I booked a transfer and they want to pick ups up 3 hour prior to the flight . I will be checking bags but am 1P on UA and the gf will only be carrying on.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
1) You might be able to hang out at the bottom of the stairs before immigration. If you are arriving on an afternoon flight on a Saturday it may be quite crowded. If it's not crowded I am not sure if they will give you difficulty for waiting.

2) At the very least 2 hours before your return flight if it is on a Saturday. Priority lines do move faster but I would not do less than 2 hours.

Have a great trip and if you would like restaurant tips or anything, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by gdeluca; Oct 17, 2010 at 6:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Thanks for the quick reply! Would it be easier to meet up at baggage claim or are they in separate areas?

On the outbound, we are leaving on a Monday afternoon.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: CO *G
Cancun Meeting Passengers at Terminal 2

I'll be arriving CUN at Terminal 2 and will need to meet my parents, who arriving about 1 1/2 hours later at Terminal 3. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should wait for them at Terminal 3?

Last edited by c565656; Nov 14, 2010 at 10:19 am Reason: had the terminal numbers backwards!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Good morning, I was in T3 last week. When your parents clear customs, they'll emerge into a sea of vendors pushing timeshares and taxis, cars, etc. If they push through this crowd to the exterior doors, there will be a little bar to the right once you emerge from the terminal building. You could wait there and have a drink.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: CO *G
Originally Posted by gutterman
You could wait there and have a drink.
Perfect. I'll do that. Thank you!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
only a limited type of taxi can take pax from CUN to hotels, that is why it runs $60.

ANY taxi can take pax from hotel zone to CUN, hence about 1/2 the price.

I'm cheap but the bus with a wife with luggage sounds like a nightmare and lots of time.

Anyone use the multi person shuttles?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
only a limited type of taxi can take pax from CUN to hotels, that is why it runs $60.

ANY taxi can take pax from hotel zone to CUN, hence about 1/2 the price.

I'm cheap but the bus with a wife with luggage sounds like a nightmare and lots of time.

Anyone use the multi person shuttles?
I have always used Best Day shuttle service. Always friendly and nice vans. I have gotten lucky and never had to wait long for them to to get the other people together. They will give you like a packet of info and tell you to meet a representative at your hotel the next morning for a greeting. It is just to sell some tours but it is no pressure and I have actually never been but I know what the deal is. It is not uncommon for the hotel to call the next morning and have a "greeting" as well so I just consider it a part of the experience.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:02 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I have always used Best Day shuttle service.
thanks looks like $25 per person for a one way from CUN-Hotel Zone
www.bestday.com/Transfers/Cancun/
-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.