Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
Update please?
I doubt he's been to London and back with two kids in 8 hours or so.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I doubt he's been to London and back with two kids in 8 hours or so.
. Although I think the update comment was which one did he choose: CH or StE?

Cheers
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers
I have County Hall booked, but still have concerns since renovations are in swing. St. Ermin's appears to be a good location. I am still considering St. Ermin's.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:50 am

Cheers
Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you, SkiAdcock.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mrboom
I have County Hall booked, but still have concerns since renovations are in swing. St. Ermin's appears to be a good location. I am still considering St. Ermin's.
We have a recent report that CH is enforcing the elite+1 & charging for children, so factor that in as well. The renovations would be enough to turn me off the place since they seem to be rather intrusive. Don't think we've had reports of family stay at StE yet, so if by chance you do end up staying there please post a report in the StE property thread.

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Any word on when CH renovations are complete other than "Summer 2015"?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:05 pm

Park Lane or JW?

Hi Everyone, i have read about the last 30 pages of this thread, and i am actually more confused than i was before coming on here. We are going for a 1 week stay in London on points and are deciding between the Marriott Park Lane (renovated June 2015) or the JW Grosvenor. We are a young couple, very early 30s, no kids and this is our first time in London. Which would you all recommend/lean towards that would be best suited for us? (Will be Gold member next year)
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by amindu
We are going for a 1 week stay in London on points and are deciding between the Marriott Park Lane (renovated June 2015) or the JW Grosvenor.
Both hotels are quite nice and you'll have a great stay at either one. Favoring one over the other boils down to preferences. Grosvenor House is much larger and is a quite grand, historic hotel. Park Lane is smaller, more subdued, and bit more modern. Some people feel like the service is more personal at PL. GH has a larger Executive Lounge, but it can get quite busy. PL's lounge is smaller but its offerings are comparable to GH.

I stayed at GH before it transitioned to a Marriott and then to a JW, so it's my preference, but I've stayed at PL as it was being refreshed and it was very nice. I might actually prefer it if GH is close to full. GH can feel quite busy as it approaches full occupancy.

The hotels are close to each other. Since you're in your 30s with no kids, perhaps try PL and then walk down to GH for tea one afternoon. Or stay 5 days at PL and two at GH.

Really, you can't make a bad choice. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:05 am

Thanks for the response. We can't actually breakout the reward between the 2 hotels as it is a 1 week voucher and has to be at the same place.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:12 am

As dayone mentions, you won't go wrong with either PL or GH/JW. They're both excellent properties. You have a better chance of an upgrade at GH because it's a larger property. PL opened up a rooftop terrace/bar during summer months. Not sure when you're going to be there.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:35 pm

As dayone mentions, you won't go wrong with either PL or GH/JW. They're both excellent properties. You have a better chance of an upgrade at GH because it's a larger property. PL opened up a rooftop terrace/bar during summer months. Not sure when you're going to be there.

Cheers.
We are planning to go in May. Are both properties central to all the tourist attractions. For example in Paris as a first time visitor, most people recommend staying at the Marriott Champps Elysees. But for the London properties, since they are pretty close, i guess it just boils down to the property, as location wise it would make no difference, would i be right in concluding that?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
We are planning to go in May. Are both properties central to all the tourist attractions. For example in Paris as a first time visitor, most people recommend staying at the Marriott Champps Elysees. But for the London properties, since they are pretty close, i guess it just boils down to the property, as location wise it would make no difference, would i be right in concluding that?
The Grosvenor House and Park Lane locations are within a few blocks of each other, so they are equally convenient to tourist destinations. That said, the Park Lane location is right next to the Marble Arch tube station, so it entails a bit less walking if you are taking the tube. This area is not really a sightseeing destination (other than Hyde Park). It's really more of a home base for shoppers, being close to the Oxford St. shops, Selfridges, etc. Not bad, however, if you like to walk. You can get to Covent Garden in about 30 minutes, Buckingham Palace in 20, and the London Eye in 45. Some of the best tourist stops, like the Tower of London, will be a bit of a trek wherever you stay.

If you want tourist attractions at your doorstep, nothing beats the County Hall. It's just across the bridge from Westminster, and the London Eye, National Theatre, etc. are right there. The Tate Modern and the Globe are a pleasant walk along the river. If you want to be closer to theatre and restaurants, I think the London Edition is the best location. It doesn't really matter all that much though, because you'll be taking the tube or bus regardless, because there is so much great stuff to do all over the city.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
For example in Paris as a first time visitor, most people recommend staying at the Marriott Champps Elysees.
Au contraire. IMO, most people here would recommend Ren Vendome.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:54 am

We are planning to go in May. Are both properties central to all the tourist attractions. But for the London properties, since they are pretty close, i guess it just boils down to the property, as location wise it would make no difference, would i be right in concluding that?
Pretty much. As noted, you'll end up walking, taking the tube, or bus to the various tourist locations. Both PL & GH are good properties.

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Thanks for the response. We can't actually breakout the reward between the 2 hotels as it is a 1 week voucher and has to be at the same place.
One factor for you as GLDs when you get there - that I consider since I stay at both is that for the PL - you have access to The Club at Park Lane which has a decent pool for laps (not huge but rarely crowded), and the spa section has a steam room. GH fitcen is good but no pool or steam. At least on my last stay.

And I've heard some folks gripe about no windows in the new ExecLounge on the GH main floor, but it's a big improvement over the old one over looking Park Lane.

The PL ExecLounge is excellent - but small.

You could also check the MR blog. Not as easy to find threads but some good info.
Rewards Insiders - London

Last edited by AATrout; Jul 27, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.