Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by hornet25
I have reservations for February 2012. I'm looking for anyone who has been there or even been to St Croix. We usually stay at the MVCI property in St Thomas in February but we decided to try out the Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa for a few days before we head to St Thomas next year.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Restaurant rec's, things to do, good beaches etc. We will be renting a car. Also we'll be taking Cape Air back to STT after our stay. Anybody familiar with this airline?

We're booked for the flight down LGA-MIA-STX on AA miles. I was surprised to see that the miles required were the same as a direct flight to STT, 17.5 super saver.
Welcome down, let me know if you have any specific q's...As far as restaurants etc. really depends on what you like, we have a good variety of food on island due to all the people from around the world living here! For specific types let me know and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

Things to do, well we're a bit quieter than St. Thomas but lots of good beaches (Haypenny, Jack and Isaacs, Rainbow (has food and drink and activities unlike most here), Shoy's, Sandy Point is probably one of the most incredible beaches you'll ever see (only open certain days though due to it being part of a protected animal preserve) see the end of Shawshank Redemption for a preview! some good hikes / walks, Christiansted is a good day to spend walking around looking at the old buildings, boardwalk, fort etc. Be sure to visit Cruzan Rum and take a tour and try the free samples and go to Buck Island for a day!

Try to get a Jeep if you can, our roads aren't great though they are working on it and a lot have gotten paved this year...just don't want flat tires putting a downer on your trip.

Cape Air is fine, I prefer Seaborne and the float plane as the flight is smoother and you can take more baggage but Cape Air's Cessnas are fun, they take me back to my days in Alaska.

Let me know if there's any questions you have about Carambola in general, I know a lot of people who used to work their and can provide any info you like!
Old May 5, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Go to trip advisor and read the terrible reports about the beautiful property, but issues of service abd fairness abound.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:32 am

I was there during the end of the renovation. Go to trip advisor and read the terrible reports about this beautiful property. Issues of quality of food, cleanliness, and customer service abound. Terrible management team. The worst in the Marriott system. Really, the worst.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:36 am

Sad Resort Due to Management

Amazing property... if you would not have to stay in a room or ever encounter the staff. I was there during the end of the renovation period. Go to trip advisor and read the terrible reports about this beautiful property from hundreds of visitors. Issues of quality of food, cleanliness, and customer service abound. Terrible staff and management team. The worst in the Marriott system. Really, the worst. However, one staff member at breakfast was very nice... that was it. ONE. It was humorous to be in the lobby to file a complant and three other guests doing the same... about different issues. I am a loyal MR Plat, stay about 80 nights or so per year, traveling for past 30 years -more or less- and I never have encountered such disarray in the running of a property.

Last edited by calrick; May 5, 2012 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Heading to this property over the holidays. Anyone with any recent experiences here?

Thx
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:55 am

Anything new? Was thinking of staying here, but the comments have me freaked. How far away is this from the DIVI Carina? Why are the reviews so bad for all the marriott properties in the Carribean? Seems like they have issues (st. Thomas, la concha, St. Kitts, Etc)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Anything new? Was thinking of staying here, but the comments have me freaked. How far away is this from the DIVI Carina? Why are the reviews so bad for all the marriott properties in the Carribean? Seems like they have issues (st. Thomas, la concha, St. Kitts, Etc)
Sorry, this may be a little off since I can't offer help with STX in specific but this is my second island during holidays. So here go my two bits -

I was at La Concha, PR last year (during Thanksgiving). The hotel was quite packed and filled over 90% but I had a positive experience. Search for the historical threads for my trip report and detailed discussion.

Typing this post sitting in RC-St Thomas.... this resort being RC brand versus Marriott, is definitely an upgraded level of service. I wouldn't expect the same from Frenchman's Reef. I will have a detailed report out in a next couple of days.

I don't think Marriott properties are bad in the Caribbean. I think, it's mostly the context and skewed expectations. I met a vagabond yesterday working as a bartender in a local bar... in his words "These are the islands. People lack that stimuli". It kindda sucks when it's applied in hospitality services but we really can't change local habit/culture.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I don't think Marriott properties are bad in the Caribbean. I think, it's mostly the context and skewed expectations. I met a vagabond yesterday working as a bartender in a local bar... in his words "These are the islands. People lack that stimuli". It kindda sucks when it's applied in hospitality services but we really can't change local habit/culture.
True that Island service isn't great in general, but USVI is one of, if not the worst while the Marriott St Kitts being one of the best - although there is stimulus there as the sugar industry has been devastated and according to some locals working at the Marriott - the one major resort on the island - is viewed as one of the best jobs a local can have.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
Girlfriend and I are thinking of staying here 3 nights over July 4 weekend (on points, 90k in total). What are the latest thoughts on this place? I lived in STT for 6 months and so I know the expectations to have regarding service in the USVI.

Is service here FAR worse than in STT (specifically Frenchman's Reef)? What are the options like for food on resort and off-resort? I'm assuming we'll need to rent a car?

Is the place clean, comfortable, etc? Quiet? Nice beaches? Or should we go off-resort for beaches?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:24 am

Has to be one of Marriott's most under-rated properties!

Just got back from a three night stay at the Renaissance Carambola, and the best way to put my experience is "simply amazing!".

I've spent time on all three USVIs (including ample time at Frenchman's Reef), and so I have a sense of what service is like in the region. Carambola blew us away. The staff were friendly, attentive, fun to talk to, etc etc. In general I found the island as a whole, and the Renaissance itself, to be far more friendly a place than STT.

I read the poor reviews of this place on tripadvisor and here, but decided to go anyway since the majority of the reviews were pointing to poor service (and I had a feeling that people just didn't know what to expect). I went in with zero expectations, and left on our last morning feeling like I was leaving a place I'd really fallen in love with.

As far as the property itself, it is unbelievably beautiful. The way it's designed makes you feel as though you're amongst far fewer people than you actually are. It feels quiet, quaint, and very reserved. Each room is part of a six-room building, and each room has a full screened in porch, endless windows/screens, etc so that the room can basically be open air if desired. Our room's porch was literally 25 feet from the ocean. Many of the other buildings are similarly close as well. Hammocks are out in front of the buildings on the shore.

Food at the restaurant was GREAT for breakfast. The "signature" items (rum/banana pancakes and stuffed French toast) were fabulous. Not too pricey, either. Dinner was decent. Essentially, Marriott with a resort twist. We ate dinner off the property 2/3 of the nights we were there. Check out Rowdy Joe's or Eat @ Cane Bay (both about 10 minutes away on North Shore Rd).

The beach itself is great. Part of it is not great for swimming (rocky, urchins, etc). The half that is, though, was very sandy/nice.

Overall, this place is just fabulous. It's not over-the-top resort-y like Frenchman's Reef. It's understated, but very well put together. It feels very personal. It's only a Cat 6, and I think it's a steal at that rate.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
After reading your review, we're ready to pack our bags. Thanks for the nice descriptive review. We've stayed at a few Marriott resorts in the Caribbean and have always been disappointed. This Westin property sounds like what I've heard described as a "destination" resort. Do you recall the cost of transportation between the airport and hotel?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:55 pm

We rented a car - about 35/day. I believe transportation one way is ~$25 (according to the hotel site), but I am not sure if that is total or per person. Taxis in the VI generally are on a per person basis. The trip from the airport is about 15 min.

I would highly suggest renting a car. All you need is a compact (jeep not necessary). If you'd be content with the spa, some diving, and a beach, you could stay on the resort and be fine. However, we wanted to get around and explore the island, so a car was very very helpful.

Keep in mind that now is the beginning of "low" season. I'm sure it gets more crowded during high season, but even then I can't imagine that it would feel like it's crawling with people. PM or reply here if you have more questions. Happy to help out.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:57 pm

And lastly, to clarify, the Ren Carambola is far far different from any other Marriott resort in the Caribbean that I know of. The St. Thomas Ritz and Frenchman's Reef (which I've been at in person), and others we looked at online, are all big buildings with massive amounts of identical rooms. These felt like/were classy beach cottages.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Stopped in St. Croix once while on a cruise. I think we were in Christenstad on a very quiet Sunday morning. Was wondering if driving is on the left or right side. Driving on the left drives me nuts and we wouldn't rent a car for that reason alone. But we'd enjoy just vegging at the Carambola without seeing much more of the island.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by maltasr
Stopped in St. Croix once while on a cruise. I think we were in Christenstad on a very quiet Sunday morning. Was wondering if driving is on the left or right side. Driving on the left drives me nuts and we wouldn't rent a car for that reason alone. But we'd enjoy just vegging at the Carambola without seeing much more of the island.
Driving is on the left. I've never had trouble getting used to it quickly, but I understand that others might.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.