Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I think this thread should be renamed. It talks about a Renaissance.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jiggs
I get the idea from the reviews that people are avoiding this property so maybe there are no recent reports? Seems like there is no middle ground on reviews.- it is either a dump and in need of drastic refurb and triple the staff - or the greatest trip people have had. I feel like it may be the prior. Anyone been recently that survived the trip to type about it?
I'm not one to read too much into a bad TripAdvisor review or two, but read the last 20 reviews on there and none of them are particularly shining. The place is run down, dirty and the service is lacking. Not sure the new GM has changed that, and maybe the owners just don't want to put in the capital to make the place operate smoothly or update it.

But with missing screens and dirty furniture, this place should be dropped from Marriott... the owners have had enough time to turn it around, and COVID isn't an excuse.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Like much of St. Croix, the property has never really recovered from Hurricane Maria in 2017. It would require a big investment which ownership is apparently not willing to make.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I'm not one to read too much into a bad TripAdvisor review or two, but read the last 20 reviews on there and none of them are particularly shining. The place is run down, dirty and the service is lacking. Not sure the new GM has changed that, and maybe the owners just don't want to put in the capital to make the place operate smoothly or update it.

But with missing screens and dirty furniture, this place should be dropped from Marriott... the owners have had enough time to turn it around, and COVID isn't an excuse.
I know this thread is from a while ago, but avoid this hotel at all costs. It appears they basically reopened after the last Hurricane and did hardly anything to repair much of the damage. Doors and windows don't close all the way in the rooms, there are exposed wires, rusted pipes, badly damaged furniture, and bug infestations. The beach and pool furniture has thin, very worn cushions. Breakfast is 3 options on a buffet plus omelette station. There's one restaurant open and it is barely functioning.

I have no idea how this hotel continues to be flagged as under the Marriott umbrella. Nominee for worst Marriott property worldwide.

On the good news, the hotel does have signs up saying a renovation is coming. But it looks like it may just be new furniture and paint, which will not fix the underlying issues. On the plus side, the staff is very nice but there's not much they can do.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I just completed a pretty good two night stay here, and want to update expectations...

The renovation is complete and the rooms are very nice. Beds are comfortable, the décor is stylish, showers are great, everything is clean and works as it should. Insects were not a problem at all. I believe at any other resort the rooms would be referred to as "casitas." I thought the layout was very cool.

True to what has been said in the past, the service isn't great. They did everything they were supposed to do, and there's daily housekeeping, but nobody seems all that thrilled to be working. I think this is more of a St. Croix issue than anything specific to this resort. The front desk printed a business document out for me, and fixed an error on my bill. Nobody was 'friendly,' but they did their job.

Breakfast is included for elites, and it is fine. It is a buffet with an omelet station. The omelet station is above average. You seat yourself, you get your own drinks, and even collect your own silverware. They only time you see a server is when they present you with a bill. In my opinion, they have done nothing to earn a tip, and so I tipped accordingly. The receipt solicits 20% on the normal buffet price of $32.00. Even if you just love US tip culture, that's too much.

The gym is functional, but the equipment is old. It wasn't replaced during the renovation, and both water coolers were empty.

I had dinner at the restaurant one night and it was fine. The prices weren't cheap, but weren't outrageous either. The food was tasty, but not of particularly high quality. Service was typical of St. Croix, but the beachfront vibe of the place was pretty cool. Come in with low expectations (and order wine), and you'll have a nice dinner. Pizza at the bar is good.

If you are thinking about flying to a resort for a week for vacation, don't come here. You'll be disappointed. There are far better resorts in many other places. If you're planning on coming to St. Croix anyway (and you should) this is a fine place to hang out and laze by the beach for a few days. If you want to dive the Wall, the dive shop on property is awesome. Having a car here is imperative. Do not think of coming without a car; taxi is not a reliable transportation option in St. Croix.

If you know anything about how things work in St. Croix, you'll be happy here. If you're expecting Dubai (or even Cancun) levels or service, you'll be disappointed, and St. Croix probably isn't the island for you anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.