Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I was supposed to head down there yesterday but balked at the limited offerings that was being described over the phone.

There are significantly limited food options (think pool bar menu) and the hotel suggested that we bring our own food and self-cater. We didn't want to do that and canceled our trip in favor of going later this year when they're done with renovations.
It sounds as if things haven't changed. We got buffet breakfast and dinner as a large group and could order bar food for lunch. The bar was open for a while in the evening as well. The self catering is a bit limited as you only have a toaster, a microwave, and a mini-refrigerator in most units. Some also have a two burner stove top and a full sized refrigerator. If you are looking to be pampered at a luxury resort then this isn't the place at the moment, though the prices seem to be quite good for what you do get.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Just booked a few nights for the end of the month
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You may wish to call them to see what facilities are available, the web site is saying that they are renovating until the end of the year. If it's like it was in February then you will have a comfortable stay in a beautiful place but may have to do more self catering than you expect.
This probably explains why the prices were so low when I looked the other day.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
This probably explains why the prices were so low when I looked the other day.
Indeed and while the price is attractive for the limited service aspect. The Resort is in a desolate location and a car is necessary if one wants to venture and explore the island so that was another logistical challenge in itself since most of the car hire companies didn't have any reasonable rates at the time.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:05 pm

Indeed and while the price is attractive for the limited service aspect. The Resort is in a desolate location and a car is necessary if one wants to venture and explore the island so that was another logistical challenge in itself since most of the car hire companies didn't have any reasonable rates at the time.
I wouldn't describe the area as desolate but it is isolated. The resort and surrounding forest are quite lush. The car rental rates are never cheap but the taxis can be reasonable.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The car rental rates are never cheap but the taxis can be reasonable.
Just reserved intermediate car from Centerline for 5 days over the 4th at total cost of $50/day. Doesn't seem bad to me.

Word seems to be out about USVI opening . . . flights and accommodations are now booking up quickly. Four days ago availability was wide open.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just reserved intermediate car from Centerline for 5 days over the 4th at total cost of $50/day. Doesn't seem bad to me.

Word seems to be out about USVI opening . . . flights and accommodations are now booking up quickly. Four days ago availability was wide open.
It was $127 per day when I was looking 2 weeks ago and I called Avis & Hertz and they told me that they didn't have a lot of cars available due to previous reservations being honored. $50 a day is somewhat reasonable though.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:47 am

It was $127 per day when I was looking 2 weeks ago
Ouch.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:14 pm

It was $127 per day when I was looking 2 weeks ago and I called Avis & Hertz and they told me that they didn't have a lot of cars available due to previous reservations being honored. $50 a day is somewhat reasonable though.
I paid Hertz just under $60 per day including surcharges back in January, which is not quite high season. The supply of cars is limited so prices can soar and a complete lack of cars is not uncommon. You would think that the present is very off season and they would have plenty of cars but they do need money!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:34 pm

I paid Hertz just under $60 per day including surcharges back in January, which is not quite high season. The supply of cars is limited so prices can soar and a complete lack of cars is not uncommon. You would think that the present is very off season and they would have plenty of cars but they do need money!
It's understandable but I was looking at paying more per day for the car versus the hotel.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:42 am

I'll be going late this month. The hotel confirmed that the dinner restaurant, gift shop and spa are not complete, but pool, fitness and rooms are all set. Will report back.

Flight availability is pretty limited, but AA has to be happy with the loads from MIA on their existing services. Very full, and I imagine they do decent cargo business as well.
MADPhil and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:39 am

Spent a few days here. The property is located on one of the most stunning stretches of coastline - many locals indicated that its the prettiest part of the island, and based upon what I saw I'd agree. The beach directly in front of the pool is a bit rocky, but on the west end of the resort property the beach was sandier and better for swimming. A few of the staff members, including the entire team at the security gate, were lovely. But there were not a lot of staff visible, and it showed.

Currently, the hotel only offers housekeeping once per week, on Mondays. This isn't disclosed online or when I called in advance. Apparently its due to COVID, however prior to COVID they were only offering twice-weekly housekeeping - not the way I'd expect a Marriott-run beach resort to operate COVID-aside. In addition, while the main dining restaurant is not open, they have also decided to close the pool bar on Mondays and Tuesdays; on days its open, its only operating between 4-9pm. Again, this wasn't disclosed on their website or by phone - and it should have been, as meal options are extremely limited. They do offer a limited 'Knock and Drop' room service menu for lunch and dinner seven days a week.

Breakfast was pretty meager: pre-packaged brownies and muffins, coffee, and a bowl of apples served on a table set up in the main lobby. After the first morning, we headed to a grocery store: our rooms included kitchenettes. Until this starts to operate normally, you'll definitely want a car. There are a few options a five-seven minute drive away and a lot within 30 minutes. If you're not prepared to self-cater, don't come here. (And due to COVID all dishes have been pulled from the rooms, so you need to buy plastic/paper everything as well... at check-in we were told "if you want plastic cups, that's on you.")

My room was definitely showing its age. It was mostly clean, but had some dated furniture, a very rust-covered refrigerator and just looked dark and drab. Bed, floor and bathroom all clean, but the cupboards and a few other places could have used a good scrub. Definitely ask for an upper floor unit, which has a higher vaulted ceiling. The resort has beautiful landscaping, but it seemed to be getting a bit unkept. A local business owner told us they had fired the groundskeepers, and it showed: there was a lot of dead tropical foliage laying around, as well as some trash that wasn't picked up over our entire stay (including a used face mask on the pool deck that was there for four days straight). We only saw the pool cleaned once during our stay, which wasn't frequent enough as the bottom got fairly sandy and there were quite a few dead bugs.

If you need anything (room service, pool towels etc) you need to go up to the front desk. Very strange. Gym had been renovated and looked great. The front gate crew also did a thorough COVID screening of every person coming onto the property (list of questions and temperature checks). That team is great.

The hotel has a lot of rooms - I'd guess 80+ - filled by oil workers and government contractors - so the property definitely has some stable revenue. These guests aren't around during the day, but you can see them all drive out in cars solo in the morning and back in the afternoon. They were certainly not disruptive at all, but it just appeared that the property was functioning much more as a long-term serviced accommodation than a beach resort.

Beautiful spot, just know what you're getting yourself into in advance, as I don't think the hotel has done an honest job of setting expectations, particularly regarding dining options.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by makin'miles
The property is located on one of the most stunning stretches of coastline - many locals indicated that its the prettiest part of the island, and based upon what I saw I'd agree.
We were 1.5 miles east in a villa overlooking Cane Bay last week. I ran out and back to the Ren in the morning (very nice running on the freshly paved road). The location is indeed beautiful. The property appeared quite full based on the parking lot, but the resort itself looked rather run down and the restaurant was obviously completely shut down.

The location is really isolated, which we were fine with, having a full kitchen, but prospective guests should be aware that from the Ren it's about 7 minutes by car to the nearest beachfront bars (which are open only sporadically), a 20 minute drive over the mountain to the nearest supermarket (Plaza West), and 30+ minutes along the coast into town (Christiansted).

Given the pricing for private rentals on St. Croix (we paid $375/night for a villa with private pool and spectacular sea views), I don't see any reason at all to stay at this resort.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:48 am

Its worth noting that the beach is public access: I believe that there is parking just before the security gate and you can walk down through guest parking and to the beach. Given the resort faces north, the sunsets might not be quite as spectacular year-round, but at this time of the year they were amazing.

MADPhil likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:47 pm

Nice photo! It isn't like that in February. There is indeed a public path down to the beach from near the gate. In the other direction there is a trail skirting the property that connects to the Trumbull Trail to the tide pools
makin'miles likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:43 pm

Is Dec 2020 realistic?
anyone know what is going on with this property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.