Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Charlotte, NC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Charlotte, NC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
CLT Marriotts

I have stayed many many nights at the Charlotte City Center Marriott. It is a few blocks away from the arena - good location for getting to the game. Out the door, left turn down Trade (across Tryon). A few blocks and you are at the arena. THe Courtyard is also nearby. The Residence Inn in downtown is many blocks away and near the football stadium.

This property was probably built in the 80s I would guess. There are no controls on the doors to stop them from slamming. The Residence Inn has the Air hinges that stop a door from slamming.

Some recent changes while I was at the hotel. The TV system did not work correctly for two straight weeks. And they changed the internet system which messed up the place for several days. No one was trained on how to troubleshoot the problems. You had to read the piece of paper left on the front counter to know there was an issues. No one mentioned it when you checked in. If you did not see the paper, you got to the room and there was no service available.

The attitude with both of these issues was that it was beyond their control (like airlines and weather) and you just had to 'deal with it'. It was great to have a TV system where the picture ran 10 seconds ahead of the volume or go almost a week without internet service. The general manager took no responsibility for running his own property. He was 'at the mercy of the contractors and the satilite company'.

If there were issues besides this, though small, that seemed to always be the attitude - not something they should control.

Lounge was cool. Staff is great - both morning and evening. Nice dinner spread.

It comes down to what type of property you want to stay at - full service, Courtyard or Residence Inn (does have a shuttle to get you to some parts of downtown - called Uptown - but not sure the Arena is a stop).

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
I would agree with the above - some good points to the hotel (lounge, etc.) but I generally have some sort of issue (usually small) there.

I moved most of my stays to the Renaissance Suites. It's not near downtown, but great staff, very comfortable suites, above average lounge.

Bruce
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by FLgrr
I have stayed many many nights at the Charlotte City Center Marriott. It is a few blocks away from the arena - good location for getting to the game. Out the door, left turn down Trade (across Tryon). A few blocks and you are at the arena. THe Courtyard is also nearby. The Residence Inn in downtown is many blocks away and near the football stadium.

Some recent changes while I was at the hotel. The TV system did not work correctly for two straight weeks. And they changed the internet system which messed up the place for several days. No one was trained on how to troubleshoot the problems. You had to read the piece of paper left on the front counter to know there was an issues. No one mentioned it when you checked in. If you did not see the paper, you got to the room and there was no service available.

The attitude with both of these issues was that it was beyond their control (like airlines and weather) and you just had to 'deal with it'. It was great to have a TV system where the picture ran 10 seconds ahead of the volume or go almost a week without internet service. The general manager took no responsibility for running his own property. He was 'at the mercy of the contractors and the satilite company'.

I hope this helps.
How recent was this stay?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
It's been over a year, but I like the Marriott City Center. Lounge was nice. There were some decent restaurants not very far away, and I liked the cigar bar in the lobby.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:29 pm

I really like this location, my favorite in Charlotte. Renaissance Suites, have larger rooms, but the indoor pool is always COLD and there is nothing really nearby, its in the middle of an office center. The City Center location has one of the warmest indoor pools I have encountered. They also have a staff member in the area for the pool and health club, and to keep the towells stocked up, and there is a tanning bed available in the pool area as well. The restaurant is fairly small, but service has always been good and breakfast is excellent. Rooms have always been in good condition, and I stay there several times a year. Great location for football or basketball games, lots of downtown nightlife and restaurants. Parking is a little high (in my mind) in the hotel garage, thats about the only negative I could come up with. There is a fairly nice Courtyard in the downtown area as well, but I prefer the full service properties.
Cindi
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the info. If there are other details that you know of, please share.

FLgrr mentioned earlier that the tv system at the hotel wasn't working properly. Has anyone encountered any problems of this nature at this hotel?

or

Flgrr, how recent was the experience that you shared earlier about the tv system?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:21 am

CLT Marriotts

All of my stays at the Marriott City Center have been since summer, almost weekly until Christmas. The TV/Internet issue was around Thanksgiving time. I hope it is resolved as I head back next week.

As mentioned by BruceWG, there is always something, though small, that is not right about the stay.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cndij
I really like this location, my favorite in Charlotte. Renaissance Suites, have larger rooms, but the indoor pool is always COLD and there is nothing really nearby, its in the middle of an office center. The City Center location has one of the warmest indoor pools I have encountered. They also have a staff member in the area for the pool and health club, and to keep the towells stocked up, and there is a tanning bed available in the pool area as well. The restaurant is fairly small, but service has always been good and breakfast is excellent. Rooms have always been in good condition, and I stay there several times a year. Great location for football or basketball games, lots of downtown nightlife and restaurants. Parking is a little high (in my mind) in the hotel garage, thats about the only negative I could come up with. There is a fairly nice Courtyard in the downtown area as well, but I prefer the full service properties.
Cindi
The indoor pool at the Shoals in Florence, AL was so warm, I thought I was in the jacuzzi and not the pool. I had to get out of it and just sit down in the jacuzzi since it was so warm.

Last edited by AvalancheZ71; Mar 19, 2007 at 9:44 pm
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by FLgrr
All of my stays at the Marriott City Center have been since summer, almost weekly until Christmas. The TV/Internet issue was around Thanksgiving time. I hope it is resolved as I head back next week.

As mentioned by BruceWG, there is always something, though small, that is not right about the stay.
Keep us posted about any issues that may or may not arise.

Marcell
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
I stayed off and on for a few years as my office was directly attached. The lounge will not be open on Friday night, Saturday (all day) or Sunday morning, but will be open on Sunday evening. Be sure to stop by for appetizers (around 6:00, IIRC) and dessert at 8:00.

Unless you like music... rather late..., request a room on the east side of the building. There is a bar across the street that runs the music pretty loud.

I strongly suggest that you hop across the street to Bistro 100 for brunch on Sunday. Very unusual brunch (in food type and service.) Basically, it is a buffet, but you are served each course.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:04 pm

I have checked in tonight. I still find a few TV channels where the volume is 10 seconds ahead of the picture. This time they gave free breakfast when the lounge was closed. Though one has to ask, if the lounge is closed, why does a Platinum not get the Concierge floor? Their answer - sold out most of the week.

It is the little things. I think I am customer service challanged lately maybe

But to attend the basketball game, this is the best location, or the Courtyard if you can tolerate a Courtyard. The Suites is great, but out by the airport. You would need to drive into the city and parl. There are a great number of restaurants around Trade/Tryon. Can't really recommend any - I am customer service challenged afterall.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:06 pm

If I'm not mistaken, there is a Omni Hotel across the street from that Marriott. I was at a conference there in February 2005. If there is, then they have restaurants/dining places in the underground mall (lower level) of the hotel.

In addition, at the time, a huge facility was being constructed a few hundred feet down the road from the Omni? Is that the Bobcats' arena? If so, then I am in great walking distance.

Please confirm.

Marcell
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:35 pm

Marcell - you are correct on the location. Omni across the street and a few blocks away is the Bobcat's Arena. I saw a McCormick & Schmidts nearby. There are restaurants each way on Tryon. Great location to hit a game at the arena
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
You're also not too far away from Mert's.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
I forgot to mention a couple of things.

First, there is a Starbucks in the hotel gift shop... skip it. Go through the large atrium toward the office-building elevators and there is a REAL Starbucks down, I believe, the first corridor of elevators. There is usually security at the base of one of the sets of elevators; just ask them.

Second, continuing past the office-building elevators is a small food-court/restaurant area. Though they mainly focus on the lunch crowd, several places are open into the early evening.

Finally, I was able to use the B1G1 EEO coupon at the Marriot restaurant (I don't recall the name.) It was pricy, but pretty good. Champions Bar & Grille is in the Hotel lobby. (I know the hotel is now all NonSmoking, but I don't know about Champions.) It was usually smoky in Champions, but Room Service will deliver any food on Champions menu even though it is not on the Room Service menu.

The best way to get from the airport to the hotel is by taxi. It's a cheap ride; I can't remember how much. (I never rented a car in Charlotte as I was always in the same building ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.